• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
Years
did you index the image??
Of course..
yes i did..
I index them all

Forget about the problem i posted,
i just notice the index i use from:
Spoiler:

Include the background and sprite pallete as well thats explain the changes in the whole tittlescreen.

So how do i just change the pallete of the Pokemon logo?
since i understand the pokemon logo uses 252 pallete so how can i change the pallete without changing the others or maybe i am just using a wrong offset.

Last edited:

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years

Of course..
yes i did..
I index them all

Forget about the problem i posted,
i just notice the index i use from:
Spoiler:

Include the background and sprite pallete as well thats explain the changes in the whole tittlescreen.

So how do i just change the pallete of the Pokemon logo?
since i understand the pokemon logo uses 252 pallete so how can i change the pallete without changing the others or maybe i am just using a wrong offset.

It's the tilemap. What you did was set everything to the same palette which causes everything to be like that. My advice is rip the original FR titlescreen tilemap using unLZ. Then look at that in NTME and see which bits use which palettes and apply it to your tilemap.

Oh, I would actually advice, you use the original FR tilemap as the one you insert, Just load it up with your titlescreen tiles. This should stop the strange tile errors you're getting :3

Then you'll be fine. :3

Name

Moémon Master
Years

Or you can go to Whack a Hack and download Advance Text there.

(Yes, Whak a Hack is up and running now...)

go to google and type in swampert tools in the downloads section of that site is a text

2011-04-15_2005.png

any idea why i might be getting this error?
I am running windows 7 on a 64 bit processor.

I have tried reinstalling A-Text from several sources....

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
2011-04-15_2005.png

any idea why i might be getting this error?
I am running windows 7 on a 64 bit processor.

I have tried reinstalling A-Text from several sources....
Its because A-text doesn't work unless you have the .ocx file. I doubt A-Text can really help you though. Anything A-text can do, a hex editor can do better.

Name

Moémon Master
Years
Its because A-text doesn't work unless you have the .ocx file. I doubt A-Text can really help you though. Anything A-text can do, a hex editor can do better.

I have the corresponding .ocx file that comes packaged with A-text.

Okay, being new to all this, where would i get a hex editor, and how would i go about using it?

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Nothing works.

No really. That's my question.

Seriously though, none of the NPCs in my maps appear, the connections are completely screwed up (on the Emerald rom, they would connect properly, but when you turn around it's like it completely erases everything that goes off screen. On the new Ruby rom, I can't even make connections. It won't adjust the map position at all.), and it won't let me save connections to maps that were already part of the game, even if I remap over them. (So if I make a new directory it works, but doesn't otherwise.)

I'm not doing anything different from normal... anyone know what's up?
I even tried transferring all of the maps over to Ruby, from Emerald, and it didn't help.
I haven't even done anything to the ROMs but make the maps themselves.

Oh, and I just discovered that warps crash the game. Lovely.

I've worked with both of these ROMs in the past without any problems.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Nothing works.

No really. That's my question.

Seriously though, none of the NPCs in my maps appear, the connections are completely screwed up (on the Emerald rom, they would connect properly, but when you turn around it's like it completely erases everything that goes off screen. On the new Ruby rom, I can't even make connections. It won't adjust the map position at all.), and it won't let me save connections to maps that were already part of the game, even if I remap over them. (So if I make a new directory it works, but doesn't otherwise.)

I'm not doing anything different from normal... anyone know what's up?
I even tried transferring all of the maps over to Ruby, from Emerald, and it didn't help.
I haven't even done anything to the ROMs but make the maps themselves.

Oh, and I just discovered that warps crash the game. Lovely.

I've worked with both of these ROMs in the past without any problems.

Make sure you don't have a random IPS in the folder, because VBA loads them by default with the ROM. This would make some changes not show up, and such.

If not, what version of A-Map are you using?

Liquid Twilight

Super Geek
Years
@QuilavaKing - It sounds like it could be a problem with the program itself if it is a problem spanning multiple roms. Maybe it is corrupting them or saving data that causes the crash. Try re-downloading or re-installing the program you are using and trying it with a fresh copy of the program. Thats all I can think of to be honest.

Another question from me here; This question is regarding how the community see copying of content. I was brainstorming ideas for a hack and I came up with what I think was pretty cool, I then decided to play a few hacks and seen that one of my ideas was implemented into that hack ... I was personally gutted. Now my question is if I implement my idea into my own hack- which is a different game, different generation and different code / different method - would you all consider it copying or would it be considered relatively original?

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
@QuilavaKing - It sounds like it could be a problem with the program itself if it is a problem spanning multiple roms. Maybe it is corrupting them or saving data that causes the crash. Try re-downloading or re-installing the program you are using and trying it with a fresh copy of the program. Thats all I can think of to be honest.

Another question from me here; This question is regarding how the community see copying of content. I was brainstorming ideas for a hack and I came up with what I think was pretty cool, I then decided to play a few hacks and seen that one of my ideas was implemented into that hack ... I was personally gutted. Now my question is if I implement my idea into my own hack- which is a different game, different generation and different code / different method - would you all consider it copying or would it be considered relatively original?

You can be fairly certain that most ideas have been done before, but don't let that turn you off using it. Ideas don't really use the same basis. Using an idea is a little different to using the same titlescreen, for example.

Liquid Twilight

Super Geek
Years
You can be fairly certain that most ideas have been done before, but don't let that turn you off using it. Ideas don't really use the same basis. Using an idea is a little different to using the same titlescreen, for example.

Thank you for clearing that up. I understand that obvious stealing and not crediting is just bad but I wasn't sure how well that rule translated to ideas. But thank you for the help.

Edit: Double Post Merged

I know the GivePokemon script can give the player a pokemon but is there a way to give the player a pokemon with a specific move already learned that otherwise it would not know? e.g talk to mother and recieve a wailmer that knows fly. And if it is possible would the same rules apply to giving an egg a specific move?

Not sure of the plausability of this but I thought I would ask.

Last edited:

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
I could not find a tut on inserting tile sets, can some one point me in the right direction, Oo and is it possible to insert a tile set even after you have all ready finished most of the mapping
Im working with fire red and would like to insert these...
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8249/completesetvo8.png

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=186982&highlight=tileset
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showth....com/showthread.php?t=91975&highlight=tileset
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=218152&highlight=tileset
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=191264&highlight=tileset
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=209974&highlight=tileset
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=197215&highlight=tileset

I know the GivePokemon script can give the player a pokemon but is there a way to give the player a pokemon with a specific move already learned that otherwise it would not know? e.g talk to mother and recieve a wailmer that knows fly. And if it is possible would the same rules apply to giving an egg a specific move?

Not sure of the plausability of this but I thought I would ask.

Yeah, it is possible. But it's not really simple. You need to know the address of the pokemon. If it's really important to you, I may be of some help. PM me. But I warn you, it's not easy.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2012
i recently ran into a problem everytime in my hack i run into a pokemon in the grass my game freezes has anybody else ran into this or is it just me :\?

Years
unLZ-GBA Problems

I've inserted sprites with unLZ many times before, but now I'm trying to use Emerald, it's going wrong. I thought screenshots would help explain what's going wrong here:

Spoiler:

It looks to me like it's only writing the pallette to the ROM and not the actual image. I've tried using a different sprite, but the same thing happens. I've tried using a different Emerald ROM, same thing. I've upgraded to HackMew's unLZ, but no luck. I'm thinking it could be something to do with the ROM region; these are E ROMs i'm using and I know offsets are slightly different... any ideas? Any help would be appreciated as I can't get my head round what it thinks it's doing :P

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
I've inserted sprites with unLZ many times before, but now I'm trying to use Emerald, it's going wrong. I thought screenshots would help explain what's going wrong here:

Spoiler:

It looks to me like it's only writing the pallette to the ROM and not the actual image. I've tried using a different sprite, but the same thing happens. I've tried using a different Emerald ROM, same thing. I've upgraded to HackMew's unLZ, but no luck. I'm thinking it could be something to do with the ROM region; these are E ROMs i'm using and I know offsets are slightly different... any ideas? Any help would be appreciated as I can't get my head round what it thinks it's doing :P

Seeing as you are inserting a sprite into free space, what is the problem? The sprite should appear in game, but not in the tool, as the old sprite is still in the ROM at that location, all you did was add a sprite somewhere else and make the ROM read that when it is needed. The old sprite still exists in the ROM at that loaction in the data, so tools still show it.

Years
Seeing as you are inserting a sprite into free space, what is the problem? The sprite should appear in game, but not in the tool, as the old sprite is still in the ROM at that location, all you did was add a sprite somewhere else and make the ROM read that when it is needed. The old sprite still exists in the ROM at that loaction in the data, so tools still show it.

Ah... yes, of course :P Yup, I've just run the ROM and it actually runs fine :) I just got confused cus it didn't behave like it normally does, not replacing the picture in unLZ and all that, so I assumed it didn't work right. Thanks for pointing that out :)

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
Ah... yes, of course :P Yup, I've just run the ROM and it actually runs fine :) I just got confused cus it didn't behave like it normally does, not replacing the picture in unLZ and all that, so I assumed it didn't work right. Thanks for pointing that out :)

To make unLZ load the image from the correct offset, delete the .spr and .pal files it makes and then reload your rom. :3

Years
I have an question about Advance Map problem....
Here it is, I have made a map, I've been messing with it for days, it's been having no problems, but now I need to send the map file to a team member and every time I send him the file, and he opens it up, the map is split (see attachment). I've reinstalled A-Map and saved the file there and resent it and it still does this.. We are sending the files through Skype, btw. If you need any other info or have questions, ask here or vm/pm me. Thanks!

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
I have an question about Advance Map problem....
Here it is, I have made a map, I've been messing with it for days, it's been having no problems, but now I need to send the map file to a team member and every time I send him the file, and he opens it up, the map is split (see attachment). I've reinstalled A-Map and saved the file there and resent it and it still does this.. We are sending the files through Skype, btw. If you need any other info or have questions, ask here or vm/pm me. Thanks!

Copying maps like that is very buggy. There's a way around it, using a hex editor, though. Before you do this, please make a backup.

Go to the map offset (you'll find it in pro-header view) in a hex editor. Then copy data from that offset equal to the map's width x map's height x 2, and save it in a blank hex file. Send that over and then copy that data over the map offset in the new rom.

That's how I copy all my maps. :3

Quickster

Dream or Drop?
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2016
Sorry if this question was asked already, but is it possible to change a value in hex to modify the pokemon the old man catches in Fire Red?

If not, this ASM code was in JPAN's source for his hacked project.
Code:
.align 2
.thumb

/*Special 0x9c is a change to the old man battle.

Allows for the old man battle script to be changed
in terms of pokemon caught and level of that pokemon
but the old-man sprite must be changed at the core
level. it is located at 0xe70ec0 at tile molester

The pokemon to be captured must be at 0x8004, with
the lv in 0x8005

Because of limitations on the original code, this 
new version is unable to capture any of the truly
legendary pokemon (like mewtwo or mew, deoxys, 
celebi...) 
oddly enough, the bird trio is allowed, but blissey
isn't...ç
*/

New_Old_man: 	push {lr}
		ldr r3, var_8004
		ldrh r1, [r3]
		ldr r0, enemy_slot
		ldrh r2, [r3, #0x2]
		ldr r3, carry_on
		bx r3
.hword 0x0000
var_8004: .word 0x020370c0
enemy_slot: .word 0x0202402c
carry_on: .word 0x0807f891

Would this be the code I need to assemble and would I activate it like JPANS engine would, by setting variable 0x8004 to a pokemon number and 0x8005 to the said pokemon's level? Or would I need to do something by callasm and some other command?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back