• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Manga/Comics Suggestion Thread

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015

What do YOU want to see in Manga/Comics?

Spr_5b_637.png

This section, as most people know, hasn't been very active in a while. I intend to change that, using every trick in the book and then some. But I don't know all of them, and that's where you guys come in. I'm open to every kind of suggestion - whether it's specific events you want to see, emblems you'd like to have uploaded, or even rule changes. I'm also going to let you guys know what I'm planning, to hear your thoughts on it.

I also want to extend a question to you guys. People have expressed interest in events for the birthdays of important PokeSpe characters. I don't want to do full-blown emblem events like the PtGT for every single character, 12 a year, but I am planning on doing a big one for Red's birthday (just missed it this year :( ), and possibly mini-events for other character's birthdays. If I did mini-events, what would you like to see? Fanart? Trivia? Rotate through various events per character? (Sapphire = fanart, Ruby = trivia, Green = other) Or would you rather not ruin the uniqueness of events by having so many?

I'm dying to hear your thoughts on these, so post away!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I wouldn't mind seeing a 30-day challenge here myself actually. I had started one on Livejournal, but never finished it. It would give me a chance to start over and complete it. :'D

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I would participate in a 30 day challenge if you had it here, otherwise, maybe a smaller scale postathon challenge to try and attract knew posters. Because a major problem is that much less people have actually read the manga.

Mentalii

Back
Years
This is a pity that this section isn't very active... We should remedy that.
Toujours, your characters' birthday idea is a good one, is it still relevant today? I hope so...
Also, why not a shipping thread? In the manga relationship between characters are very interesting. Must say, it would not be just about romance, but also about beautiful friendships and so on, the manga is perfect for that.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Oh, this thread really is old. But! It is stickied. And still obviously relevant. So I'mma post. Forgive me if it was a bad thing.

I think what this section might need is some kind of community feeling. Something that makes people come back for the discussions and people. The general discussion thread could perhaps serve as some kind of club/group (similar to the oooold one that drained activity from this forum in the first place) albeit more loosely than an actual club in the appropriate forums. Canon character birthdays and trivia could be posted here for people to talk about whenever the thread goes silent for a few days, rather than letting discussions fade out completely.

More advertisement would probably be necessary also, after activity has gone up (if it would). As it is now, it's a bit hidden under Pokémon General, but as there apparently isn't overly much interest for this, there wouldn't be a point in moving it somewhere.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
In my opinion, this sub-forum should be removed entirely and everything Pokémon Manga/Comics should be discussed in Pokémon General. The activity in this place is really disappointing despite the fact that there are a lot of people who say that they are interested in the mangas. If the merge isn't plausible then the next moderator should do their best to make this sub-forum fairly active at least.

Events will only attract activity for as long as the event lasts however so that should be kept in mind.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I guess it might mostly be nostalgia, but I'd be sad to see this forum go and want to believe activity could be pushed up if it was advertised better, to lure in people who actually read the manga but just don't bother posting here. I know there are those PC members, I am one and have talked to several others.

Then again, it's true... Activity has apparently been like this for years. Posters shouldn't exist to fill up sections, sections should exist for willing posters.

Events will only attract activity for as long as the event lasts however so that should be kept in mind.
make events ALLLL the time

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
And if you have events all the time you're just like DFS (sorry if you're not British and don't get that).
I doubt this is big enough to be listed separately from Pokémon General, so maybe it should just be merged into it? I completely forgot about this section until today, when the newest post (as you see on the homepage) was in this section. Otherwise I tend to just scroll past in General and completely miss it. I imagine most other people do as well.

That event for Red's birthday that was mentioned, we could do that!
And is a 30-day challenge like reading all the mangas in thirty days? We could do a reduced version of that just reading arcs that Red appears in, for example. (RGBYGSCFRLGE)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I completely forgot about this section until today, when the newest post (as you see on the homepage) was in this section. Otherwise I tend to just scroll past in General and completely miss it. I imagine most other people do as well.
This probably happens to most people who just casually browse the sections, yeah. Which is why I think it would help if PG got a big splash banner on top of the index, linking visibly to the manga and voting poll subfora. The subfora could get their own splash banners as well to give them a nicer feeling, but the one on top of the main forum is the crucial one. *nags Patchisou*

Either that, or admit defeat and do what Zeffy said by taking this subforum away. And maybe have a stickied manga discussion thread in PG for a while to see if there are people who still want to talk manga but just didn't find the appropriate subforum?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Ah, 30 day challenges are simpler than I thought. Surely we could get one of them up and running? Could always gain attention by posting it in the wrong section, so when it got moved there'd be a redirect in an active forum like Gen VI :P

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Ah, 30 day challenges are simpler than I thought. Surely we could get one of them up and running? Could always gain attention by posting it in the wrong section, so when it got moved there'd be a redirect in an active forum like Gen VI :P

Ahahahah you do that, it'll all be forgiven if this forum becomes active 8D

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
This forum hasn't really been that remotely active for a very long time, perhaps even from 2003, it only has 19 pages of threads from all time while other forums average at least 50, even Spin-off Games has around 30 pages of threads. I'd reckon it has been tried multiple times to bring activity to this forum but their efforts turned out futile.

The main problem with Manga/Comics, I think, are there really isn't much to talk about, and the lack of interest of most people. Unlike anime, they only need to turn on the television and watch it from there, with their tushies comfortably warming up their sofas. If they want to read manga, they'd have to either go out and buy a copy or read it on the internet (don't get me started with scanlations and such). The only activity in here in the past 5 or 6 days is in this very thread.

By the way, it isn't admitting defeat if this sub-forum is taken away. If the public demands a Pokémon manga/comic forum, and the activity proves to be worthwhile, then the sub-forum will be most likely brought back up. (Not that this sub-forum will be taken down because that's totally up to whoever is manning this forum lol)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
You are bringing up valid points, Zeffy :] I just wonder why the subforum has been kept in existence for this long, if it's that inactive. The thread revival rule is set to 90 days instead of 30 - maybe it has been seen as okay that this subforum is a bit slow, as a necessary evil for the good of it actually existing for the people who want to post here. Which... don't seem to be a lot of people, truthfully :[

And, just saying, reading on the internet is not much more difficult than doing a google search and clicking for a bit. But most people perhaps don't know that or simply do not care for manga when there are so many other, more colorful aspects of the pokémon franchise. Which isn't as much of a problem as it is a pity, since public demand is what should really govern what sections exist or not, yeah.

Also, Patchisou Yuthoru is manning this forum now, from what I heard Sydian whisper. But it seems like any smods are handling the reports so I'm not sure lol

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
You are bringing up valid points, Zeffy :] I just wonder why the subforum has been kept in existence for this long, if it's that inactive. The thread revival rule is set to 90 days instead of 30 - maybe it has been seen as okay that this subforum is a bit slow, as a necessary evil for the good of it actually existing for the people who want to post here. Which... don't seem to be a lot of people, truthfully :[

Perhaps because the staff deemed the activity of the forum sufficient, given the actual state of Pokémon Manga/Comics. My suggestion was merely just that, a suggestion. If it isn't entirely needed, then it can be forgotten of entirely.

And, just saying, reading on the internet is not much more difficult than doing a google search and clicking for a bit
How many times have I seen the same response for quick questions that could be answered via a quick google search? A lot. It seems that the PC people's laziness knows no bound lol

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Haha. 90% of advice I give in Q&A threads is a quick google search to confirm what I already know. Not even using Bulbapedia for pokémon stuff :P
But then again, half the stuff on the first page of google is wrong (a lot of "guides" to pokémon produce lies like an elevator mysteriously opening up in the Space Center in Emerald, and Deoxys popping out. All because I released a Metagross on Route 101 :P ).

I think the main problem is that not many people read the manga. I might start hyperlinking parts of my posts to manga sites, see what happens

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I think the main problem is that not many people read the manga. I might start hyperlinking parts of my posts to manga sites, see what happens
xD you and your tricks.

BUT, I actually thought of something that would fit in here. It is manga / comics and maybe too much focus has been put on the manga. Maybe feature a comic of the week? There are tons of cool Nuzlocke comics on the web. And other comics as well that isn't really manga. They should be talked about more because many people probably don't know about them but like them when they are introduced to them.

Back