• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Star Wars seems complicated for me. The Tron RP looks interesting, but I don't have time to join too many RPs. If I suddenly reserve spots in one day, who knows if I'll even finish them. I would join Tron, but I declined. I hope the RPs go well though.

RHCP-So are you making that RP I asked to reserve a spot for? I really wanna be a warrior. :D No rush though!

I don't think I'll be making more RPs before the summer.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
Lol, I like how everyone completely disregarded the mod's question. Now that's respect!

What kind of character is your favorite* (your poor english shall not work on me!) to use?

Lol, you know my trademark. I love playing the bad guys, the crooks , the baddies, the desperadoes, the criminals, the outlaws...basically, the villains. Here's why.

Very few other people are willing, and/or able to play a well-designed 'bad guy'. In honesty, lots of people like playing the good guy who gets along with everyone and willing to protect anyone in any given situation, or something of that nature. But very few people are willing to be on the other end of the spectrum, the one doing the harming; the one being the scoundrel, the evil-doer, the a$$ hole. I'm proud to say I think I usually play them pretty well. There's also a certain pleasure I get when RPs usually hate my characters. The more they dislike them, especially if it was their intention to be disliked, the more I feel I'm doing my job right. A lot of times, you'd see bad guys in RPs and they'd be doing something evil, but very few people ever ask...why is he doing this? What makes him bad? It would just be assumed: he's the bad guy, he has to go down. He's evil. Very few people go in depth on why they do it, why they think that way. Contrary to many others' beliefs, not all villains believe that what they are doing is wrong, but they just think about it a different way. So I love playing the villains to show you that maybe sometimes something is not always as it seems. Sometimes, the bad guy is doing it because the reasoning may actually be logical. Sometimes, if you look at it from their perspective, they may not be that bad after all.

*cough* Sorry, I guess I got into it a little bit.

Lots of great RPs popping up and so little time to join them all....

Legend

Kingslayer
Years
Lol, I like how everyone completely disregarded the mod's question. Now that's respect!

I didn't! I just had to think of an intelligent response. Takes a while ya know? Makes my thinker box hurt.

How about a new topic?

What kind of character is your favourite to use?

First of all, I am on the same page as Supervegeta in that villains are pretty fun to play. I haven't too much time to play them but the limited does I have had the honor to engage in such roleplaying, it was quite an enthralling experience. Developing villains is a bit harder than developing a hero, so while character growth is harder to manage if it is done well it can be quite rewarding.

That being said, I like playing "neutral" characters or even "anti-heroes" the most. It is fun to make them watch from the sidelines and only be drawn to combat because it suits their best interests at the time. Sure, they will eventually or most likely will serve the greater good and join with the "good guys" but it is without serious consideration of the other side. Writing out that inner conflict can be really fun.

I am guilty of playing heroes the most however, ironically in opposition to Supervegeta's characters as of late.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
What kind of character is your favorite* (your poor english shall not work on me!) to use?

Lol, you know my trademark. I love playing the bad guys, the crooks , the baddies, the desperadoes, the criminals, the outlaws...basically, the villains. Here's why.

Very few other people are willing, and/or able to play a well-designed 'bad guy'. In honesty, lots of people like playing the good guy who gets along with everyone and willing to protect anyone in any given situation, or something of that nature. But very few people are willing to be on the other end of the spectrum, the one doing the harming; the one being the scoundrel, the evil-doer, the a$$ hole. I'm proud to say I think I usually play them pretty well. There's also a certain pleasure I get when RPs usually hate my characters. The more they dislike them, especially if it was their intention to be disliked, the more I feel I'm doing my job right. A lot of times, you'd see bad guys in RPs and they'd be doing something evil, but very few people ever ask...why is he doing this? What makes him bad? It would just be assumed: he's the bad guy, he has to go down. He's evil. Very few people go in depth on why they do it, why they think that way. Contrary to many others' beliefs, not all villains believe that what they are doing is wrong, but they just think about it a different way. So I love playing the villains to show you that maybe sometimes something is not always as it seems. Sometimes, the bad guy is doing it because the reasoning may actually be logical. Sometimes, if you look at it from their perspective, they may not be that bad after all.

*cough* Sorry, I guess I got into it a little bit.

Lots of great RPs popping up and so little time to join them all....

Ahh.. SO THAT'S WHY!!!
Damn dude, we've been together in the ONLY RP where you were a good guy.. FML xD

Well anyway, I'm known for playing bad guys as well. Being good seems boring to me for some reason; it's no fun, in some way. Being good doesn't change alot of things in the RP, while being bad is pretty unpredictable.
I think I like playing bad guys because it truly fulfills me, I feel like I'm exploring the "other side" through my character, as I'm usually nice if I say so myself.
Also "bad" can mean alot of things. Bad characters like Hannibal Lecter are always complicated, and that's exactly what I love about them... but the fact that they may not be sane entices me.

tl;dr it's good to be bad

EDIT: Okay so:
VILLAINS: 3
GOOD BUTTERFLIES: 0

FCK YEA.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I think I've answered the character thing several times before so I won't bore you with another long post about it. :] I'm wondering something else though.

How come you loose interest in an RP? What usually makes you stop posting as a player, or as a GM for that matter?

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years
How come you lose interest in an RP? What usually makes you stop posting as a player, or as a GM for that matter?

Joining an RP in the first place would require interest, so the RP itself is typically never a reason, unless the plot consistently develops in a way that turns me off. (Honestly, my own character(s) dying doesn't really change my interest in the RP if it's developing nicely.)

Instead, I'd have to say it's left to the players, really. Whether it's what they write, or the way they write, or the way they act in the OOC thread (especially about IC matters). I would be fine if the "problem" in question didn't last very long, but if it's something recurring or it happens with multiple people, I would have more of an urge to drop my character.

Pokemonmaster_draco

One Of The Best
Years
I think I've answered the character thing several times before so I won't bore you with another long post about it. :] I'm wondering something else though.

How come you loose interest in an RP? What usually makes you stop posting as a player, or as a GM for that matter?

It would be first of all the lack of characters participation and second, maybe where the story is going. I personally see the loss of interest in an RP happening when the GM is not serious(im not saying being serious ALL THE TIME, but sometime). E.g, PkmTrainer_Yellow has been GMing PTA for quite a while and from the looks of it, it has really interesting plot and problems that needs solving. Having a constructive mind results in having a constructive bad@$$ RP. Though this is my opinion, i don't know about the others :)

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
What character do I play as?

Hm... My characters are always... Well, different. I like to make them all special.

Kiyoko is a Zorua character, very childish and innocent, and he is tied into Pokemon Trainer Academy's plot as he was experimented on by the Rockets themselves. On top of that, he's beyond sheltered; he didn't know what steak even was, and when they mentioned playing, he was also clueless.

Kiba is... Well... An odd type of trainer. He calls his pokemon "friends", and considers them equals. honestly, being in Earth and Sky, the pokemon gained more of a personality than Kiba himself. He's just a very... Strange boy.

Raven... Wow, Raven. My favorite character so far. She was created as the most powerful mutant of the bunch; the downside is that she has NO control of her powers, and when they actually work the way she wants, they're almost guarenteed to backfire in her face.

????? is, well... No point in explaining if my TRON RP doesn't start, yeah?

Yeah... I like making odd characters. And I also like them to be a mystery.

So, I guess they're "good guys" (and girls), but they're not the regular kind of hero.

I was planning on making a "Dark, somewhat evil hero"... You know, the one you wouldn't expect to be on the good side.

_____

I was also considering making an "RPG"-esque type of roleplay.

Greiger

A mad mind... hehe
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 1, 2023
Usually I will keep posting in an RP as long as the plot keeps going. The only times I will stop is if it's just me and the GM left or some kind of emergency comes up and I have to stop for a bit. Other than that I really try to keep RPs going since I tend to get invested in every character that I make. I don't care how long has passed since the last person posted but as long as new posts come up I'll keep at it.

Speaking of joining RPs some more people could join mine! I am in need of an infiltrator as well as some more Mechanists. We're still in the beginning stages so come join!

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
What character do I play as?

Hm... My characters are always... Well, different. I like to make them all special.

Kiyoko is a Zorua character, very childish and innocent, and he is tied into Pokemon Trainer Academy's plot as he was experimented on by the Rockets themselves. On top of that, he's beyond sheltered; he didn't know what steak even was, and when they mentioned playing, he was also clueless.

Kiba is... Well... An odd type of trainer. He calls his pokemon "friends", and considers them equals. honestly, being in Earth and Sky, the pokemon gained more of a personality than Kiba himself. He's just a very... Strange boy.

Raven... Wow, Raven. My favorite character so far. She was created as the most powerful mutant of the bunch; the downside is that she has NO control of her powers, and when they actually work the way she wants, they're almost guarenteed to backfire in her face.

????? is, well... No point in explaining if my TRON RP doesn't start, yeah?

Yeah... I like making odd characters. And I also like them to be a mystery.

So, I guess they're "good guys" (and girls), but they're not the regular kind of hero.

I was planning on making a "Dark, somewhat evil hero"... You know, the one you wouldn't expect to be on the good side.

_____

I was also considering making an "RPG"-esque type of roleplay.

I don't really see how those characters are odd or weird ;o;

And wellllll, I only stop when the plot gets out of hand, the GM's not really acting properly or everybody gets lazy and stops posting. Including myself. I'm a very bad RPer in that way :(

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Hah? I don't see how those aren't odd... Though I guess you'd have to see them in RP to understand.

Anyways, why quit an RP?

Getting too busy to keep up.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
@Zerin I'm agreeing with DI. I wouldn't say odd as much as undescriptive.

@Raikiri Indeed will have epic rivalries for the ages.

As for RHCP's question, I'd usually stay with an RP until there's really no more activity from others RPers, or if the GM gives up on the RP in the first place. Although, I usually try not to join RPs with GMs I don't trust, or don't think can make the commitment.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I... I don't want to seem rude or anything... but I should say that the characters you've made are not really odd, weird or... ugh I forgot the word for it. Not uncommon, I guess.

Kiyoko, according to you, is a childish and innocent character. This is a trait which is directly associated with being sheltered. It's not very uncommon... Goku is a very good example of this kind of character, when he was a kid. And I guess Kiyoko will be traumatized because of the experiments as well?

And Kiba's personality, pretty much exists in real life as well. There are some people who treats other creatures like animals equal to themselves, and as 'friends'. A lot of characters I first made when I was new actually had a bit of that trait, being good friends with Pokemon and able to understand them to a certain degree.

And Raven, I'll just say that Atlantis Arising is pretty based on the same concepts as Raven and leave it at that. xI Basically, 'mutants' who are strong but have no control over their powers. Although I will say one thing, the fact that you kept saying that Raven is the strongest among all the characters is pretty much not fair. Not being able to control her powers doesn't really matter, specially since her whole chance of hitting is based on a few odds. The fact is that if I were a GM I would not take the risk of having a possible god modding character, but in this RP it depends upon the GM.

So yeah, I'm not really saying that you are not original or lack creativity, these are some of the reasons I didn't really find them 'odd'. In fact, if you find such characters odd you're pretty much saying these kind of people are socially awkward, which is not really true... Just because you're a loner doesn't really mean you're an odd person.

I myself am not able to create really creative characters, so I make sure I don't say my characters are unique, because one way or the other the characters are usually similar to others.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Oh... Okay then...

I really should just stop posting here then...

:/ I said that I didn't want to offend you. I'm sorry if I did, but it was constructive criticism. People have criticized my characters as well and since then I've made sure that none of my characters have similar flaws.

The only thing I wanted to say was that those characters really aren't 'odd' because people similar to them exist, whether in the real world or in fictional books. There is no problem with your originality, but the problem is that there are so many books out there with so many characters, in the end one does end up often having similar personalities and flaws to them.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Sorry, I always react poorly to these things.

Reason 1:

I take things to heart. I know it's a major flaw too, I just can't help it. Rough childhood & Teenhood, you know?

Reason 2:

Depression Attacks. I have depression and sometimes it hits for no reason whatsoever.

In advance, I do apologize.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Constructive criticism is good when a person asks for it, but otherwise it should be given out carefully I think :]

Nevertheless, about RP activity. In periods, I find several RPs that I want to sign up for and I might end joining "too many", if there is such a thing. It's not really about having enough time to post - you can almost always make time, really. Stop playing that video game or watch that TV show and go make a post in the RP that you love instead! But it's rather about keeping interest up and staying involved with the plot.

When I find myself in "too many" RPs, it's most often because I no longer can devote myself deeply enough to each and every one of them. I have too many characters and too many plots to try and think about, simply. I may end up getting tired of some of them. At the same time, I don't like to wait for several days for others to post in order to be able to keep RPing, and that is why I still join several RPs at once. I like to have at least one RP to respond to whenever I log in :] I don't even have that now, hah, so I guess I'm not in "too many" RPs yet~!

There's also the risk that I find out after playing for a while that a certain RP wasn't what I expected it to be and feel like leaving. It might still be a good RP, just not for me :]

Lately, some RPs I was in died slowly because the GMs disappeared without notice. That's the most common cause of RP death, I believe. The next most common cause is players abandoning. I try to never leave an RP without telling the GM that I do so; players who simply stop posting without at least stating that they have grown tired of it or don't have time for it, or any other reason really!, are one of my pet peeves.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
I don't even have that now, hah, so I guess I'm not in "too many" RPs yet~!

Time to join more then! Zerin's TRON RP looks interesting (though I won't be joining, as his posts hurt my eyes), as does the Star Wars one. And mine. And Greiger's. So much choice!

Speaking of which;

What draws you to one RP over another, aside from the setting? What can a GM do to spark your interest?

Saturated Hue

acrobatic effing pirouette.
Years
I'm a very judgmental person; I'll admit that right out of the gate. If the OP sports bad grammar and spelling, even when the plot is Atlantis Arising-level, joining it would be out of the question. I also tend to like adventure-type RPs; stuff that happens in a single, set place would probably bore me very very quickly. That's just me, though! I hope I didn't offend anyone. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back