• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] PKMN: The Island

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
Years

the_island_title_by_donlawride-d5dryti.jpg

POKéMON
THE ISLAND

Created by: D. Lawride / Gmack
Genre: Pokémon / Adventure / RPG / Action
Version: N/A
Started in: June 2012
Finished in: N/A

Intro

The Island was originally intended to be an entry for Pokécommunity's Game Creation event, but ended up too big for that time frame. So instead it's a "short" game being announced now. Of course, it'll only have two releases: the first, finished version and any subsequent bug fixes. Since it was for said Event, work on the game is almost finished.

In a way, you could say that The Island is your generic Pokémon game with a trillion twists to it. Guilty as charged.

Storyline

The story begins the interval between the first generation and the second (RBY and GSC), shortly after Red returns home after defeating the Elite Four. While it seems that, with Team Rocket's disappearance, peace has returned, both Red and Blue soon find out that the evil organization still has plans. In an unfortunate turn of events, both Trainers are caught and dropped on a remote island far away from Kanto.

After some exploring, they find that the island is not uninhabited, however; an elderly man named Redwood gives both a Pokémon, and advises them to journey across the island if they wish to return to Kanto. To do that, they would need to follow the steps of the Skirmishers of old - which is what the island's inhabitants call trainers - and obtain the skills necessary to overcome all the obstacles they meet.

Even then, reaching their goal will not be as easy as they thought, as even the island itself plots against their success...

Features

Short segment of a Kanto in the years between RBY and GSC, in GSC style;
A completely new island to explore;
No Marts - only pick-up items and Apricorns;
No Centers;
95 secret caves to find to obtain the 95 TMs;
Several Legend of Zelda-like dungeons and puzzles;

Screenshots

com__event_screens_by_donlawride-d56y0ii.png

Downloads

NONE YET​

Credits

Tiles -» Nintendo
Sound Effects -» Nintendo
Pokémon Essentials -» Maruno/Poccil/Any associate/contributor

Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2012
Just a quick question: Why use GSC graphics?

Not a complaint really but I'd like to see modern graphics. Personal preference I guess.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Just a quick question: Why use GSC graphics?

Not a complaint really but I'd like to see modern graphics. Personal preference I guess.

Because G/S/C graphics are awesome.
And still just as good as B/W2 ones.

this looks good, I'll try it soon, just the last shot.

You've got the Essentials Menu GUI on a GSC battle screen.
Is that right?

EDIT: ... ''Windfish Isle'' ... Zelda?

Last edited:

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
Years
So, when is this coming out? I thought you said it was almost finished...

And it is almost finished; unfortunately, some struf (like college) got in the way and I was unable to develop it further (my actual project, Nightmare, as yet to receive proper updates too because of the same reason). Rest assured, it's almost complete. I'm going to try and get ahold of the person I was working with and see if we can actually finish this soon.

Back