• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon CrystalDust [v3 PUBLIC ALPHA]

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Elaborate on the unsupported part? I don't want to end up screw up the games or anything.
And no problem, personally I'm just grateful as hell that you're still active on this project. Usually people just end up abandoning cool stuff like this. Not that I blame them because stuff comes up and all but you know :) so thanks for that!
I mean unsupported as in there may be some glitches I don't know about because I've never been able to actually make a trade work. :/
Also, Hoenn Pokémon are unsupported, mainly because the TMs they learn are completely out of whack.
Thanks for the support! I'm not the type of person to just give up on a project, so don't worry about CrystalDust dying in the near future.
This happened to me, too. I had a Growlithe, a Poliwag, a Bayleef, a Nidorino, a Bellsprout, and an Egg. All of the Pokémon in my party disappeared and when I got in a battle I had the question mark in the circle thing. I didn't find out whether or not I got my Pokémon back because I just resumed a save state. Perhaps it's because of the egg? I would try again now, but the contest isn't on today. For some reason it was on yesterday (Sunday) though and the guards said things like:
'Today it is BOX1...'
'Today it is 851...'
That sounds really messed up... Can you send me a save file through PMs?

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
Yeah, I can confirm the Bug Catching Contest glitch. Both times I tried it caused the glitch to happen. I had a similar team to the above too (Bayleef & an egg), but the rest were different. Also, from the top of my head, I remember trying to use an Escape Rope in Mt. Mortar (both floors) and getting a message saying I can't do that. There were some other oddities, but that's all I can remember from the top of my head. Anywya, I completed the beta (beat the champion) and I must say that I am really, really impressed. :D I love the small details that you added to make it like Crystal. Seriously, thank you. :D

Sierraffinity

Years
Yeah, I can confirm the Bug Catching Contest glitch. Both times I tried it caused the glitch to happen. I had a similar team to the above too (Bayleef & an egg), but the rest were different. Also, from the top of my head, I remember trying to use an Escape Rope in Mt. Mortar (both floors) and getting a message saying I can't do that. There were some other oddities, but that's all I can remember from the top of my head. Anywya, I completed the beta (beat the champion) and I must say that I am really, really impressed. :D I love the small details that you added to make it like Crystal. Seriously, thank you. :D
No problem! Glad you enjoyed it.
And if you can remember some of the oddities, that would be great!
I had a Pidgeotto, Quilava, Pikachu, Hitmontop, Furret and Togetic when the glitch happened
Thanks for the input, but I got it fixed.

With help from a save file from 0shawott, I've fixed the Bug-Catching Contest glitch, as well as the Escape Rope in Mt. Mortar bugs. The new patch is available for download!

Aussie Riolu

What is anything to a Riolu?
Years
I hatched a Shiny Magby from the Odd Egg! Yay!

EDIT: OK I see it has an increased Shiny Ratio but who cares really. I'm keeping the shinies I get and hoarding them all to my DS games. I love how it always has Dizzy Punch to keep it canon which I really like. Good job on that. If you can make all but Tyrogue be always Female (Which is how the Odd Egg acts in Crystal) then it would be perfect but it isn't really required.

But anyways I found a couple things. First, I found out that if you open the map on the Frontier Pass and then close it, the game will reset. Also that cloning glitch in Emerald that uses the Link Multi option in the Battle Tower is still in which is no problem really.

Overall, I really like this hack so far and I look forward when it's finished and see what kind of different features it has that the original didn't have, which I really do like.

EDIT 2: Just found something very serious: That Old Man in the Ecruteak Gym right? After awakening the Legendary Beasts, he disappears and you can enter the Gym right? Well he does disappear but the script still activates and thus I can't get into the gym...

Last edited:

Sierraffinity

Years
So the update will be on the same link I downloaded 2.0 from on your website, right?
Yeah, it is. It's always the same link for convenience.
Awesome work so far keep it up ;)
Thanks for the comment!
I hatched a Shiny Magby from the Odd Egg! Yay!

EDIT: OK I see it has an increased Shiny Ratio but who cares really. I'm keeping the shinies I get and hoarding them all to my DS games. I love how it always has Dizzy Punch to keep it canon which I really like. Good job on that. If you can make all but Tyrogue be always Female (Which is how the Odd Egg acts in Crystal) then it would be perfect but it isn't really required.

But anyways I found a couple things. First, I found out that if you open the map on the Frontier Pass and then close it, the game will reset. Also that cloning glitch in Emerald that uses the Link Multi option in the Battle Tower is still in which is no problem really.

Overall, I really like this hack so far and I look forward when it's finished and see what kind of different features it has that the original didn't have, which I really do like.

EDIT 2: Just found something very serious: That Old Man in the Ecruteak Gym right? After awakening the Legendary Beasts, he disappears and you can enter the Gym right? Well he does disappear but the script still activates and thus I can't get into the gym...
Congrats! By the way, it's not an increased shiny ratio, it's the exact same as Japanese Pokémon Crystal. And I can't make them always female except for Tyrogue, sorry.

You are using an older version of the patch, so that's why you were even able to get the Pass or have that Ecruteak Gym glitch... Just update and you should be fine.

Aussie Riolu

What is anything to a Riolu?
Years
You are using an older version of the patch, so that's why you were even able to get the Pass or have that Ecruteak Gym glitch... Just update and you should be fine.

The latest is v2.0 right? That's what I'm using and I have that glitch...That's the latest patch I found on your site.

EDIT: Just a little thing. Elekid should be able to learn Ice Punch but it can't in this hack. :/

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2019
I still can't seem to give Kenya to the guard on Route 31: http://d.pr/i/p0oi
When I tried the Bug Catching Contest for the first time, this happened and I could not progress: http://d.pr/i/8qoQ
But the next time I tried, it worked perfectly, so that's not a problem.
Also, is there any way to edit the speed and handling of the Bicycle? I don't know about anyone else, but I find it very hard to use. That's pretty minor, and other than these couple of things I think this hack is really great! I never really enjoyed playing Liquid Crystal, I got up to Cherrygrove and it didn't really appeal to me, but this hack really does and I have enjoyed it very much so far.

Sierraffinity

Years
Why this rom don't work for gpSP after fixed?
I don't know what you mean. What 'fix', and what doesn't work?
The latest is v2.0 right? That's what I'm using and I have that glitch...That's the latest patch I found on your site.

EDIT: Just a little thing. Elekid should be able to learn Ice Punch but it can't in this hack. :/
It's actually the same link and it still says 2.0, but it's updated with the fixes. Including the one about Ice punch, sorry about that!
I still can't seem to give Kenya to the guard on Route 31: http://d.pr/i/p0oi
When I tried the Bug Catching Contest for the first time, this happened and I could not progress: http://d.pr/i/8qoQ
But the next time I tried, it worked perfectly, so that's not a problem.
Also, is there any way to edit the speed and handling of the Bicycle? I don't know about anyone else, but I find it very hard to use. That's pretty minor, and other than these couple of things I think this hack is really great! I never really enjoyed playing Liquid Crystal, I got up to Cherrygrove and it didn't really appeal to me, but this hack really does and I have enjoyed it very much so far.
Actually, you're not supposed to give Kenya to that guard. There's someone else on that route, and he fits the description of a 'fat, lazy guy' pretty darn well.
Next time you or anyone else gets this freezing issue, could you make a save state file and send it to me? I can't actually get it to freeze...
Sorry, I can't fix the bike's handling speed...
Also, thanks for the praise! I always appreciate comments like that!

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2019
Actually, you're not supposed to give Kenya to that guard. There's someone else on that route, and he fits the description of a 'fat, lazy guy' pretty darn well.
Next time you or anyone else gets this freezing issue, could you make a save state file and send it to me? I can't actually get it to freeze...
Sorry, I can't fix the bike's handling speed...
Also, thanks for the praise! I always appreciate comments like that!
Sorry, I actually skipped through the text where the guard gave you the Pokémon, and just assumed he wanted you to give it to another guard. Thanks for telling me!
And yeah, next time it freezes I'll send you a safe state.
Oh, by the way, I didn't know if you planned on inserting sprites for things like the Red Scale, Blue Card, etc.?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 12, 2015
I mean, after fixed some bug your Pokemon Crystal dust Roms, it's don't work on my gpSP symbian emulator, it's white screen on my emulator.But if I play it on VGBA it's working. Before your fixed it, it's work on my gpSP

Sorry if my english is bad because I'm Indonesian

Last edited:

Sierraffinity

Years
Sorry, I actually skipped through the text where the guard gave you the Pokémon, and just assumed he wanted you to give it to another guard. Thanks for telling me!
And yeah, next time it freezes I'll send you a safe state.
Oh, by the way, I didn't know if you planned on inserting sprites for things like the Red Scale, Blue Card, etc.?
Okay, thanks for the help!
And yes, I am planning on making sprites for them in the future.
I mean, after fixed some bug your Pokemon Crystal dust Roms, it's don't work on my gpSP emulator symbian, but it's work in VisualGB. Before your fixed it, it's work on my gpSP
Oh, that's probably because I made the patch in a way to fix an inner ROM dump bug. You need to use a gPSP ROM configuration file with configuration for Emerald to make it work correctly.

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
Years
Okay, thanks for the help!
And yes, I am planning on making sprites for them in the future.

I think you should swallow your pride and just use their HGSS sprites. You won't make anything better and I think it's such a minor thing that it wouldn't hurt at all. Those sprites just fit perfectly. The only item you should resprite is Clear Bell, because it looks really strange in HGSS (but please, don't make it merely a blue-colored Soothe Bell).

Fanmade sprites of those things always suck - Red Scale is always recolored DeepSeaScale, SuperPotion is a recolored Potion (although it was never supposed to be a Potion at the first place, it's an English translation fail), Clear Bell is a recolored Soothe Bell etc. Previous fanremakes have given me bad experiences.

What this game needs is new tilesets for Johto (because of the reliance on FRLG tilesets, Johto seems bland), not something such unimportant like item sprites (when most HGSS sprites work just fine).

Last edited:

Sierraffinity

Years
I think you should swallow your pride and just use their HGSS sprites. You won't make anything better and I think it's such a minor thing that it wouldn't hurt at all. Those sprites just fit perfectly. The only item you should resprite is Clear Bell, because it looks really strange in HGSS (but please, don't make it merely a blue-colored Soothe Bell).

Fanmade sprites of those things always suck - Red Scale is always recolored DeepSeaScale, SuperPotion is a recolored Potion (although it was never supposed to be a Potion at the first place, it's an English translation fail), Clear Bell is a recolored Soothe Bell etc. Previous fanremakes have given me bad experiences.

What this game needs is new tilesets for Johto (because of the reliance on FRLG tilesets, Johto seems bland), not something such unimportant like item sprites (when most HGSS sprites work just fine).
Well, when I said 'make', I didn't strictly mean that I would actually make the sprites myself. I've used HG/SS item sprites in the past (Apricorns, Apricorn Balls, and the Mystery Egg). I just meant that I would get around to inserting them in the future.

Also, I realize that Johto needs a new tileset, but I can't make one and nobody else has stepped up as a spriter. So until I can find a spriter, it's staying the same...

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 12, 2015
Originally Posted by diegoisawesome
Oh, that's probably because I made the patch in a way to fix an inner ROM dump bug. You need to use a gPSP ROM configuration file with configuration for Emerald to make it work correctly.
Where I find gpSP ROM configuration Emerald?

Back