• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Completed] Paradox of Creation (AKA Proof of Concept)

Years
  • Seen Feb 6, 2016
And now for something completely different.

You all might know me as one of the programmers working on Pokemon Sage, or you might not know me at all. Either way, this is a little side project I've been working on for my own amusement, mostly to see how much I could modify the Essentials Engine, and what the limits were for it. I enjoyed pushing the boundaries of RMXP and the other RPGMaker engines, but I hadn't really had a chance to do so with this.

I always enjoyed the battle system the Pokemon brought to the table. I hated the 'Attack' 'Skills' 'Defend' 'Item' basics of most RPGs and as such, I wanted to find something that modified that. Anyway, enough about my thoughts and more onto the game itself.

This is something that I put together mostly to see if I could, and as such, I'm looking for any and all feedback on this particular game. The premise is something akin to "What if I took Pokemon...and removed the Pokemon?" What you have here is a fantasy RPG but with the type system and the four-attack system that Pokemon is known for. This is not a Pokemon game, and I might be repeating that throughout the synopsis. You will not be a young trainer out scouring for creatures to add to your collection. You will not be battling the gym leaders, and there are no Elite Four.

What you will have is the world of Sherranth, which has been decimated by something. What is it? We don't know. All the character knows is that his inn, your inn, has somehow escaped disaster. Your six tenants from all walks of life are there with you as well, and months have passed since The Break occurred, leaving your inn, once the center of a small town, now in a valley, cliffsides surrounding you. Things might be bearable, but you're running out of food, and out of wood to burn for the fires. The trees in the area have all been forested, and beyond the safety of the inn, it is not safe.

You must convince the tenants of your inn to strike out into the unknown to find not only wood and food, but also some information about just what has happened to this world.

Roughly two hours of playtime, this little 'story' is completed. It's mostly just a curious look at what can be accomplished with a little creative thought and some heavy script modification from an already established source, the Pokemon Essentials Kit.

Characters:
Spoiler:

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

The Game:

The Game Itself

The Typechart for your enemies

Credit:

Maruno and others for the Pokemon Essentials engine.
Squaresoft for the FF3 sprites and tilesets
Eric Skiff and Producer Snafu for the music
And youuuuu!

Zoruark

wandering shadow
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2021
I love Starla so much hahaha. This game could be A LOT better though. Well, it seems I've always been this outdated to reply to almost a year ago game thread.

Back