• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rage Yoga - Become zen as f----

Years
'Rage Yoga' encourages posing while cursing, drinking, and listening to metal

There's a common saying cited by non-yogis as a reason not to practice and pose: "It's boring."

That's an understandable sentiment — some people just don't find the same kind of stress release in yoga as they do in, say, kickboxing — but with a new take on the practice, called "Rage Yoga," there may be more folks flocking to the fitness activity than ever before.

Created by a Calgary, Canada resident named Lindsay-Marie Istace after "the really painful breakup of a long term relationship," Rage Yoga is meant for those who are hoping to improve their posture and flexibility, but have never felt at ease in a modern yoga studio.

Or for those who just have a little extra aggression they need to work out.

"Want to better your strength, flexibility and become zen as f—? Enjoy the occasional f-bomb or innuendo?" the site reads. "You've come to the right place."

Istace also encourages participants to feel free to swear and drink while posing, telling Vice that "as soon as people get into the sequences they tend to naturally drink slowly." Metal music is also often played too, with albums by the likes of Metallica and Black Sabbath spinning in the background.

The whole thing may seem like blasphemy to those that consider yoga a highly spiritual process, but to Istace's fans, it's a respite and a quirky alternative to partaking in yoga as we know it today. It's also a welcomed option for some of those feeling uncomfortable by the generally quiet practice, or turned off by the yoga's less hardcore reputation.

"When I started going to yoga classes, I felt like I didn't really fit in at a lot of those different studios," she told Vice last month. "[They have a] very deadpan, serious, overly serene approach to things. And that's just not how I roll."

The practice is so far only offered live in Calgary, but Istace hopes to soon make it available to anyone with an internet connection. Coming off a very successful Kickstarter aimed at funding the creation and distribution of online classes, the dream of having an excuse to scream while exercising may not be that far off after all.

Yoga as it's usually practised is a very serene and calm, but Rage Yoga is pretty much the opposite. You could say it's watered down and missing the point, or you could say it's more free and natural. Will it broaden the appeal of an already popular activity or is it cultural appropriation gone too far? What's your opinion on yoga as a spiritual practice, exercise, or cultural phenomenon? Does Rage Yoga change any of that? Do you think it'll catch on?

Thoughts? Source.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Ah, Vice Magazine. The Entertainment Weekly of whatever subculture they think they appeal to.

It seems like a mess, honestly. I wouldn't go far as to say she is being inherently disrespectful (if someone else wanted to make the argument I wouldn't stop them) but it certainly seems like she is missing the point more than anything else. The term yoga is just being used as the 'brand name' to give it a smidge of credibility. Overall it comes off as very crude. Judging from some of the excerpts in the OP, the target audience seems to be pretty clear - GOT YOUR ASS DUMPED? LOST YOUR ZEN? COME HERE TO DRINK, SWEAR, ROCK OUT AND GET PUMPED! IT'S SPIRITUALITY - BUT EDGIER! The sort of people who would have very little respect for yoga in its traditional form.

I think it's one thing to intetpret longstanding spiritual practices in a new way, it's another to corrupt those practices entirely in the name of modernity.

Years
I want to start off by saying that I don't like yoga, having tried it and found it didn't work for me. However, this abomination can hardly be called yoga, and I agree with Harley Quinn that they are just using the name yoga to try and increase the validity of what they are trying to do. For the uneducated, yoga isn't just about the physical movements (they are just a by-product). It's a philosophy on how to calm the mind, body and spirit in order to free oneself from the imbalances of the world that bind us. Take that philosophy away and all you have is a series of stretching exercises. That isn't yoga.

Encouraged to drink while doing yoga? Why is drinking alcohol while exercising suddenly a good thing? Seriously if all you want to do is drown out your sorrows in booze while listening to heavy metal, there are plenty of bars and clubs to do that.

Back