• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Maize Version [BETA 3 RELEASED]

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
I just wanted to let everyone know that I've released Beta 1.1.0, and you can download it from the link in the first post! These are the major changes from Beta 1.0:

1. 6 new songs have been inserted. You can listen to them by clicking on the links in the first post.
2. Future-gen attack animations are no longer glitchy!
3. The Ma(i)ze House in Pyrite City has been completed, and Squirtle is obtainable somewhere in there.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
I released a new patch (beta 1.1.1) with lots of bug fixes. I believe I've fully resolved the pokedex caught/seen bug. You can read the list of changes in the changelog in the first post!

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
I was looking at this and I was impressed with what I've seen. Gen 1 doesn't have that many hacks to choose from, so I'm glad this is a Gen1 hack. I like how you're continuing with this project even though this thread isn't hugely popular yet. Keep up the good work!

Also, I like this title very much. It's not all "Yellow Fantasy Destiny Darkness" or whatever, just a simple name, Maize.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
I was looking at this and I was impressed with what I've seen. Gen 1 doesn't have that many hacks to choose from, so I'm glad this is a Gen1 hack. I like how you're continuing with this project even though this thread isn't hugely popular yet. Keep up the good work!

Also, I like this title very much. It's not all "Yellow Fantasy Destiny Darkness" or whatever, just a simple name, Maize.
Thanks, I'm hoping the thread becomes a bit more popular. Aw man, but that's the name I was planning on using for my next hack!

----

I've made some progress in Pyrite City the past few days. I completed a building which will let you experience maximum nostalgia.
9B4xCLA.png

I also finished the Outpost in Pyrite City. You get your first Moon Stone there.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
I just released the patch for beta 1.2. Here are the notable changes:

- Honchkrow is obtainable by using an Item Stone on Murkrow.
- Pyrite City is fully complete
- Fixed bug that stopped Growlithe from being able to evolve from a Fire Stone.
- Fixed growth rates of Starmie, Arcanine, and Exeggutor to match their pre-evolutions.

ESm8caP.png

6WiO4cx.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
This is one of the Best Gen1 Hack ever!
I'm glad you think so! I've worked pretty hard on this. Do you have any thoughts about the gameplay?

---

Also, you might have noticed a bug in that last screenshot of Honchkrow. It had like 300HP at level 11. I've fixed that bug, and the latest patch contains the fix.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
Update time. Sort of. I've spent the last several months working on rebuilding Maize Version with the pokered disassembly. This has tons of benefits in the long run, but it also means I haven't been able to make a lot of visible progress. I'm getting reasonably close to completely rebuilding Maize with the disassembly, and I've actually added some new things along the way. Here's the new titlescreen:
GSPXWNx.gif

It's not the prettiest thing, but I had fun making it blink at you.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
I just finished adding a new item called the SCOUTER. If you place it at the top of your item list, it will present a message to the player when a wild pokemon with high DVs appears. If you don't know what DVs are, they are basically the same thing as IVs in the later games. I arbitrarily picked a total DV value of 50 to be the threshold. The maximum DV total a pokemon can have is 75 (there are 5 stats, each of which can range from 0-15). Here's what it looks like when it triggers at the start of a wild battle:
04ViH47.png

It should be useful to the player if they care about that kind of stuff.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
I just finished adding a new item called the SCOUTER. If you place it at the top of your item list, it will present a message to the player when a wild pokemon with high DVs appears. If you don't know what DVs are, they are basically the same thing as IVs in the later games. I arbitrarily picked a total DV value of 50 to be the threshold. The maximum DV total a pokemon can have is 75 (there are 5 stats, each of which can range from 0-15). Here's what it looks like when it triggers at the start of a wild battle:
04ViH47.png

Wow that is awesome! Can't say I care too much about DV/IVs but I can imagine it being not only cool, but helpful to people who do. That's great work and is the kind of thing I love to see in ROM Hacks.

Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2015
04ViH47.png

Player, what does the scouter say about Spearow's power level?

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!

OK. Sorry, I had to!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
Can't wait for it to be completed so I can LP it on youtbe! Good luck ;)
Let's plays rock! You could do one for my other hack, Pokemon Red: Battle Factory, if you're looking for something a little different.

Wow that is awesome! Can't say I care too much about DV/IVs but I can imagine it being not only cool, but helpful to people who do. That's great work and is the kind of thing I love to see in ROM Hacks.
Glad you like it!

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
This will definitely be referenced some way or another during a quest.

Update:

I've been rolling with the DV-related features. I thought it would be cool to add a PokeBall that changes the DVs of the pokemon you catch with it. I ended up creating the DV Ball, which sets the DVs of the caught pokemon to be maximum (every stat is 15). Its catch success rate is the same as a PokeBall. I would show a picture, but there really isn't anything cool to look at! Anyway, I probably won't let the player buy this item. Maybe it will be the prize for some quests or something...

Last edited:

qaz015393

pokemon revenge developer
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
sweet hack. haven't played it yet but will soon :) love the features

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2023
I've been rolling with the DV-related features. I thought it would be cool to add a PokeBall that changes the DVs of the pokemon you catch with it. I ended up creating the DV Ball, which sets the DVs of the caught pokemon to be maximum (every stat is 15). Its catch success rate is the same as a PokeBall. I would show a picture, but there really isn't anything cool to look at! Anyway, I probably won't let the player buy this item. Maybe it will be the prize for some quests or something...

That's a great idea! It would probably make since if there were only obtainable after big quests (like for beating the Team Quarry boss), or if there are a few of them as hidden items scattered throughout the region. Anyways, that must not have been easy to implement, keep up the great work :)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
sweet hack. haven't played it yet but will soon :) love the features
I recommend waiting a month or two if you want to give it a try. I'll be releasing a new beta version that fixes a lot of the old bugs and introduces some new things. One of the main reasons there won't be as many bugs (hopefully none...) is because I'm rebuilding the game using the pokered disassembly, which means I don't have to use hex editing.

That's a great idea! It would probably make since if there were only obtainable after big quests (like for beating the Team Quarry boss), or if there are a few of them as hidden items scattered throughout the region. Anyways, that must not have been easy to implement, keep up the great work :)
Thanks! I definitely agree with those ideas.

If Dark and Steel is added will Fairy be added
Yeah, I'll be adding fairy. I'm going to be adding Leafeon, Glaceon, Umbreon, Espeon, and Sylveon. I'm not sure what I'll do for Eevee evolving into Sylveon... I'll probably make it so it evolves if it levels up knowing a fairy-type move. We'll see, though.

qaz015393

pokemon revenge developer
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
nice good luck. ill be waiting for the new release then

Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2015

Yeah! Kinda like Cyrus giving you the Masterball!

Let's plays rock! You could do one for my other hack, Pokemon Red: Battle Factory, if you're looking for something a little different.

Glad you like it!

This will definitely be referenced some way or another during a quest.

For the DV Ball, you should make a special minigame, or something, so that the player can always obtain it, just VERY rare... just an idea!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyranitar Killer

Tyranibeast
Years
\
Yeah, I'll be adding fairy. I'm going to be adding Leafeon, Glaceon, Umbreon, Espeon, and Sylveon. I'm not sure what I'll do for Eevee evolving into Sylveon... I'll probably make it so it evolves if it levels up knowing a fairy-type move. We'll see, though.

That is cool and would bring Gen 1 hacking up more, havn't seen much gen 1 hacking

Back