• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Marijuana!

Mononoke Hime

viva emptiness
Years
I think it should be legalised indeed for recreational purposes.
Why is this considered wrong? Us humans can get addicted to everything, and I must tell really everything. But Marijuana won't bring any chance to addiction more than tea.
And more, it was always completely normal to see someone using Opium while walking down the street; not that it is good or bad, but something happened and suddenly the hole society wasn't anymore viewing this as normal: it was viewing it as demoniac.

I wonder why people still believe that it is right to not want to distort the way we perceive the world.
To me, it is the human nature: to want things to be more than they really are. That's why we created art, and also why we had always, in the hole human history, used chemical substances to distort our perceptions. And the thing is, that for the most part of history of drug use, it was considered a sacred act, the only way to contact the nature spirits and gods.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
The only reason I think it should be legalized is to deter people from using synthetic drugs, which are way worse.

I still strongly dislike marijuana; I've known way too many potheads in high school and came across quite a few at work, and it makes you look like you're retarded. I legit thought one customer had a mental disorder until his friend told me he was high. u_u

von Weltschmerz

the first born unicorn
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
The only reason I think it should be legalized is to deter people from using synthetic drugs, which are way worse.

I still strongly dislike marijuana; I've known way too many potheads in high school and came across quite a few at work, and it makes you look like you're retarded. I legit thought one customer had a mental disorder until his friend told me he was high. u_u

That is bad logic. It is like girls who say, "I'm tired of being played! Guys are all the same!" or guys who say, "All girls are ****s!" No. Those statements just aren't true. They were developed in response to the interaction between that individual and examples of the demographic who meet their stereotype. Yet, I know not of a single person who rationally holds these beliefs... they realize that they were just subject to a few bad apples.

Also.. the "mental disorder" claim is most likely not true, either. They probably in all actuality exhibited few traits of any actual disorder. It is just the natural human reaction to chalk up behavior to something so easily explainable. What mental disorder did you believe him to have? What symptoms did he exhibit? I do not think you will find such questions as easy to answer as making the conclusion that you did.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015

Welp that's extremely judgmental of you.

Marijuana affects you and you alone. Legalize it. Make it illegal to smoke and drive and such, and tax it. It's kind of scary how many people feel that it's completely reasonable to use the government as a tool for forcing people to be healthy. It's a trend that I'll be glad to see die out.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
von Weltschmerz

You replied to most of my references with 'find me proof'. That is proof, now you find otherwise - this is how things work. You can't just tell me that published scientists are incorrect because you don't believe it.

Also, you have said that Alcohol causes dependency - however, just like Marijuana, there is no chemical element to alcohol dependency, it's all psychological. So your point it moot.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I'm very judgmental on this subject. And I have no shame in it.

I grew up around heavy use of marijuana and alcohol, and I still frankly fail to see how alcohol is legal when marijuana is not. That doesn't mean I believe marijuana should be legalized without medicinal purposes, though. I'm very strongly against anything that impairs judgment as such.

But because I'm so strongly biased on this topic and don't particularly wish to debate on it, as it would more likely escalate to an argument than actual debate, I'm done here as I've left my opinion. :)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
von Weltschmerz

You replied to most of my references with 'find me proof'. That is proof, now you find otherwise - this is how things work. You can't just tell me that published scientists are incorrect because you don't believe it.

Also, you have said that Alcohol causes dependency - however, just like Marijuana, there is no chemical element to alcohol dependency, it's all psychological. So your point it moot.

What is your line between "physical" and "psychological"? Do you define psychological as something that physically affects your brain? Because there are definite physical parts to alcoholism.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000764.htm

Withdrawal has many physical symptoms, they are far from all in someone's head.

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
I think Marijuana should be banned EVERYWHERE. I mean seriously?

There are people who get high off of BATH SALTS, and they cannibalize other people. Even though it uses a different substance, it can still be really dangerous.

Oh yeah, and people always say that you can never be addicted to Marijuana. Well... if that's true, then why does the term 'Pothead' or 'Crackhead' exist? I'll let you decide.

Frankly, I don't care if people start abusing pot. They'll only use it just to make food taste amazing. Not much harm there XD.

von Weltschmerz

the first born unicorn
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
von Weltschmerz

In my entire argument... I asked twice for proof of your claims. IF that is "most of your references" then you have indeed a faulty set of references. But seeing as you provided 5 references and I asked for proof on PARTS of those... that is FAR LESS THAN "most" of them. It isn't that I don't believe it... it is that I have no proof. Simply posting a quote by them(scientist) from their research does not prove it. You can be published, without being right. If I cited a published scientist that said "SwiftSign is the biggest idiot on this planet" would that make it true? No. And the notion that because some research led to that claim(your actions in this thread) does not make it true. It is very bad debating skills to simply cite "references" and be done with it.

If you didn't notice... I agreed with most of what your research provided for. The one thing that I disagreed with(dependency), if I could be bothered, has plenty of research in its favor. There is research supporting both claims, that is why we are having this debate in the first place. I didn't provide such references as it is not really my position to prove a negative. The statement that needs proof is "Weed creates dependency issues." NOT "Weed does not create dependency issues." The only way to prove the latter would to be list out every single incident... To prove the former... you would need to find the one instance where weed creates the dependency. Notice I said "where weed creates" not "where the mind creates."

As for alcohol.. I don't know how it works exactly... but my friend's dad who is a sufferer of alcoholism decided to quit one day. Cold turkey. He was in the hospital shortly and the doctors told him that if he did not continue to drink and supply his body with alcohol, then he would die. That is the basis upon my claim.

EDIT:

From Toujours post I've duduced this: Alcohol creates dependency by physically altering the brain so that alcohol is regarded as necessary to the function of the body. Marijuana, on the other hand, creates dependencies based upon one fact: people anticipate that smoking marijuana makes them feel better, less stressed etc. So they begin to think it is the only way to rationally deal with their problems. But they are wrong, and it isn't. That means that no matter how far gone they are, if you can convince them that there are other ways to go about it... then they can. With no adverse health affects. Unlike alcohol which, as I said, physically changes the brain, disallowing them to simply revert back to abstinence by choice; that part of their brain would have to be reshaped back into normality. Something I don't quite believe we have yet the capability of doing.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
As for alcohol.. I don't know how it works exactly... but my friend's dad who is a sufferer of alcoholism decided to quit one day. Cold turkey. He was in the hospital shortly and the doctors told him that if he did not continue to drink and supply his body with alcohol, then he would die. That is the basis upon my claim.

And that is exactly what can happen with weed, as I showed in my references. You could easily search for those people yourself if you want more information - I'm not going to go buy the full article for you or spend hours fixing up links when you can't provide a single source yourself.

What is the point of debating if it's just your opinion the main evidence whilst not supplying any of your own other than 'I thinks'.

Considering you spent most of your post picking apart my use of 'most' it's fairly obvious you're bias. If my way of debating, as someone with a scientific degree, isn't good enough for you then I truly give up.

@Toujours We're talking about the route of dependency, not what the body does in withdrawal. Addiction can be psychological, causing the body to act with physical withdrawal symptoms - exactly right.

Edit @ Above: Lets throw some more opinion of your 'science' into it! That'll make it right! <cough>

von Weltschmerz

the first born unicorn
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
1And that is exactly what can happen with weed, as I showed in my references. You could easily search for those people yourself if you want more information - I'm not going to go buy the full article for you or spend hours fixing up links when you can't provide a single source yourself.

2What is the point of debating if it's just your opinion the main evidence whilst not supplying any of your own other than 'I thinks'.

3Considering you spent most of your post picking apart my use of 'most' it's fairly obvious you're bias. If my way of debating, as someone with a scientific degree, isn't good enough for you then I truly give up.

@Toujours We're talking about the route of dependency, not what the body does in withdrawal. Addiction can be psychological, causing the body to act with physical withdrawal symptoms - exactly right.

4Edit @ Above: Lets throw some more opinion of your 'science' into it! That'll make it right! <cough>

1 I don't see how that can happen. No one has died from smoking marijuana. And with the absence of its ability to create a physical dependencywithdrawals... it couldn't create the same state as alcohol did in that situation. Like I said... I don't have to prove that weed does not create physical dependencywithdrawal. That would be neigh on impossible. I would have to list out every single instance of withdrawal from marijuana. For you... you would have to list the ONE instance that causes such a dependency withdrawal. Something you have FAILED to do.

2 You want proof? Give me positive claims that I made and I will fetch it for you. Do not ask me to prove negative claims, I have not asked that of you for the reasons stated above.

3 How does my wish that you use logic relate to any bias I may or may not have? If you don't know the definition of simple words such as "most" how can anything you say be counted as credible? Plus... YOU HAVE NO WAY OF DEBATING. If we all just posted how you did.. then we would have no debate. Also... what is your obsession with scientific degrees? They don't make you certifiably correct.

4 Ok. I recant such a claim. I'll admit, I was "wrong" there in that I can find no solid proof to my claim.

I'll also give you the assertion that alcohol and marijuana are the same in that they do not have a physical substance that creates dependency.

But even with that... alcohol creates a physical withdrawal, and marijuana does not. I suppose that I was more arguing for that in the first place, anyway. Not counting the brain(as they both affect that), alcohol damages nearly all your organs. Marijuana affects your lungs... but not because of substances in it.. but because inhaling the burning fibers of anything would do that. In such a regard... alcohol is still more dangerous

Also... I provided an link and that would be thc-ministry.net. The guy who owns the page found an essay he agreed with. And he's an ordained minister... so he must know what he's talking about. Plus he also has posted observations by a Dr. Robert J Melamade... now THAT is snazzy. And you know... he's a doctor. Chairman doctor, actually. Of the Biology department. I'm pretty sure biologists would know the effects of cannabis on people.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
But...what's the point of arguing whether or not you're psychologically addicted to it? Or whether it's addictive at all? At what point do we stop legislating what people put into their own bodies? No one's forcing you to smoke it. Should caffeine be illegal as well?

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
Years
I think marijuana should and only be used in high-degree medical institutions. And in an appropriate and controlled manner like Livewire said. Although not industrially.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
A lot of the arguments for marijuana legalisation I'm seeing here involve a "but". Stuff like agreeing that marijuana effects cognitive skill but only for a short time, that marijuana can alter brain structure but only if used excessively, an addition can form but it is only mental rather than physical. That's all well and good but it begs the question in my mind, why let any of these things happen? The fact that there are any "but"s present here show that there is indeed substance to these reasons against the use of marijuana. And if there are legitimate reasons not to use it while the only legitimate reason is medical, since I don't really consider "it gets you high" to be a legitimate reason when there are drawbacks involved, then I don't see any reason why it should be legal for recreational use.

I just see it as having the option to let people use something which has negative effects and having the option to let people not use something which has negative effects. I don't understand why you'd pick the first option there.

Years
  • Seen Nov 21, 2012
A lot of the arguments for marijuana legalisation I'm seeing here involve a "but". Stuff like agreeing that marijuana effects cognitive skill but only for a short time, that marijuana can alter brain structure but only if used excessively, an addition can form but it is only mental rather than physical. That's all well and good but it begs the question in my mind, why let any of these things happen? The fact that there are any "but"s present here show that there is indeed substance to these reasons against the use of marijuana. And if there are legitimate reasons not to use it while the only legitimate reason is medical, since I don't really consider "it gets you high" to be a legitimate reason when there are drawbacks involved, then I don't see any reason why it should be legal for recreational use.

I agree. KFC has too many buts and I don't see why it should be legal for recreational use. Let's make Kentucky Fried Chicken illegal!

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I agree. KFC has too many buts and I don't see why it should be legal for recreational use. Let's make Kentucky Fried Chicken illegal!

I definitely should have seen a response like this coming. Last I checked, food was a necessity to live. So KFC gives people another option of what to eat. That's a pretty positive side of KFC, I'd say. Now give me a reason why marijuana is a necessity like food is and I'll reconsider my position.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
1 I don't see how that can happen. No one has died from smoking marijuana. And with the absence of its ability to create a physical dependencywithdrawals... it couldn't create the same state as alcohol did in that situation. Like I said... I don't have to prove that weed does not create physical dependencywithdrawal. That would be neigh on impossible. I would have to list out every single instance of withdrawal from marijuana. For you... you would have to list the ONE instance that causes such a dependency withdrawal. Something you have FAILED to do.

Nobody you know has died of smoking weed. Thing is where do you draw the line at 'death by cannabis'? Surely death by dangerous actions, death by vomiting, death by smoking (and drinking at the same time) should be counted? You're fixating too much on the 'if I sit in a room and smoke one spliff I'm fine' kind of mentality.

2 You want proof? Give me positive claims that I made and I will fetch it for you. Do not ask me to prove negative claims, I have not asked that of you for the reasons stated above.

Wait what? This is science. Just as I've shown studies which say Marijuana is dangerous surely you could find some that reported no dangers? Don't be lazy.

3 Plus... YOU HAVE NO WAY OF DEBATING. If we all just posted how you did.. then we would have no debate. Also... what is your obsession with scientific degrees? They don't make you certifiably correct.

Hello there, I stated a point and then presented the evidence at hand. A debate is no opinion driven, it is supported by facts.

Obsession? I mentioned it once, whilst you disclaimed scientific evidence.

But even with that... alcohol creates a physical withdrawal, and marijuana does not.

As I've said, some studies show that there is withdrawal symptoms. In fact anyone in the UK who watches Jeremy Kyle will have noticed that.

Also... I provided an link and that would be thc-ministry.net.

You supplied a link to a bias source, ""We use cannabis religiously and you can, too." It's not reliable in the slightest. Even with a so called Doctor supporting their claims he is against the vast majority of people - including those doing active research in to the topic.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I definitely should have seen a response like this coming. Last I checked, food was a necessity to live. So KFC gives people another option of what to eat. That's a pretty positive side of KFC, I'd say. Now give me a reason why marijuana is a necessity like food is and I'll reconsider my position.

Soda is literally empty calories. It has 0 nutritional value and is nothing but bad for you. It is not a necessity to live. Should people be banned from drinking it?

How about people riding motorcycles? Motorcycles are incredibly dangerous compared to cars. It's not a necessity to drive one, or even to drive anywhere. Should people be banned from drinking it?

How about women having children above the age of 35? It's very dangerous to the mother and the child to have children at that age. Giving birth is not a necessity to live. Should people be banned from giving birth at that age?

All of these are things that are dangerous, but people enjoy them for various reasons and no one thinks about banning them. The point of whether or not marijuana is dangerous should not be a part of this conversation, because everyone chooses a more dangerous option over a less dangerous option at times. Going out to party and drink is more dangerous than staying home. Eating an unhealthy meal is more dangerous than eating a salad. Hell, driving a brown car is more dangerous than driving a white car. Saying "it's dangerous so it should be banned" is a really naive way of looking at it. I would like to see a more extended argument, where you explain why dangerous things should be banned, how it meshes with the general idea of personal freedoms, and the narrow definition between "dangerous thing I don't like to do like pot that should be illegal", and "dangerous thing I do like to do like eating unhealthy that should be totally legal". Not claiming that you like eating unhealthy, but this is a line that pretty much everyone with the argument "it's dangerous keep it banned" hasn't defined.

Khawill

<3
Years
I think Marijuana should be banned EVERYWHERE. I mean seriously?

There are people who get high off of BATH SALTS, and they cannibalize other people. Even though it uses a different substance, it can still be really dangerous.

Oh yeah, and people always say that you can never be addicted to Marijuana. Well... if that's true, then why does the term 'Pothead' or 'Crackhead' exist? I'll let you decide.

Frankly, I don't care if people start abusing pot. They'll only use it just to make food taste amazing. Not much harm there XD.

Uh dude, Crackhead refers to people who do crack... Also bath salts and crack are waayyyy worse than pot, like significantly worse. Also pot doesn't make you come close to going bat**** insane, at most you'll skip your day plans. Also pothead doesn't mean an addict, it is someone who does nothing but smoke pot all the time.

P.S. Crack is super addictive, but it isn't Marijuana, it is cocaine.

Edit: @Toujours Motorcycles are cheaper to buy than cars, they use way less gas, and are not as dangerous as you have exaggerated. Driving in this time and age is a necessity, it would take me hours to walks to my school and it would take my dad a day to walk to the city from where we live.

Otherwise, I like your side of the argument.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Driving is far from a necessity. Maybe in your particular area it is, but you will not die without it, which was the point that RL was making in his post that I was refuting. As far as motorcycle dangers:

Motorcyclists are 35 times more likely experience a deadly accident on the road than those in passenger cars.

Source. Is 35 times an insignificant number?

Back