• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Where does the unchosen/unstolen starter go?

blue

gucci
Years
It would have been a great opportunity to give it to Lyra/Ethan rather than Maril allowing you to actually battle them on several occasions throughout your journey.

Years
I always figured the most logical options were either giving it away to another trainer that we don't know about, or he's kept it for his son (who lives above the lab), for when he wants to go on a Pokemon journey.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
It had to go somewhere or it could stay with Rowan for all eternity for research and such, I guess. That's just my opinion.

Evey

Female Red
Years
I think Professor Elm gave it the player in Emerald as a present for completing the Hoenn Pokedex.

But honestly we know where all unchosen starters go....*cries inside*

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
I think that since in RBY there is unused data for a battle against Prof. Oak with the pokemon not chosen by either Red or Blue, maybe Prof. Elm keeps it for himself as a companion. I read a really cute Pokemon story about Prof. Oak's relationship with a Bulbasaur and it just made me think, don't the professors get lonely without their own Pokemon companion? Hmmmm. We'll probably never know...

Edit: I also really like the theory of Emerald getting it for their pokedex. That way, it is still someone's companion (presumably.) But, who knows. I still think the professors will be lonely without their own companion. :P

Last edited:

Darkest Shade of Light

Pokémon Midnight Sun
Years
I seem to remember in one of the games Elm mentioning the last starter being stored for safekeeping to prevent the issue with the rival/antagonist person (Official name plz?) from happening again. I still haven't actually started playing HeartGold, so I could check, if I weren't lazy, and preferred the color silver. Although it would be rather interesting if Nintendo had you play as one of the unknown characters that kind of grabbed the remaining starter and played through the game, but with all of the events completing just before you got to them, and then having other issues arise because of such. But that's another topic :PP

Last edited:
Years
I've always wanted to know where it goes. I always thought it would kinda cool if after you defeat the E4 that as a prize you would get the the 3rd starter. Unless like in black/white when theyre 3 trainers in the beginning.

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
I always imagined that a newbie trainer came and picked it up and started his/her journey.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
It's probably given to some other new trainer.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
It'll probably just sit in its Pokeball on that table for eternity. Waiting, waiting for its future trainer that would never come to pick it up.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I played over 600 hours of HG and that starter is still there sitting on the table. Unless they put down the Pokemon since no one wanted it, and they just keep the Pokeball there just for us to think that they didn't do anything to the Pokemon... :'C

Edsbob

TECHNOLOGY TODAY IS INCREDIBLE
Years
Every time you turn off the game, the remaining little ripper goes on it's own journey out to the world out of the lab... Until it decides the whether is far too harsh in the outside world compared to the ideal Pokeball environment. Every time, it ends up deciding that it will wait for the ONE TRAINER that will pick it as their starting Pokemon for the new hacked pokemon game... POKEMON BRONZE.

...But really, I believe Elm leaves it out for the pokemon to appeal to young starting trainers, and puts it away otherwise so it doesn't get stolen.

Warship

異議あり!
Years
my guess is it goes to lyra but i on't know why she waited that much to take a starter.

Back