• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Deciding an In-Game Team

Years
Hi guys, I need help making some decisions about what my team should be in Y. I've already made it through the in-game material in X, defeating the Elite Four first time around with Greninja (Lv. 97 at the time), Charizard X (Lv. 96 at the time), Tyrantrum (Lv. 95 at the time), and Pidgeot (Lv. 92 at the time). I want to do something different in Y, to get a different experience.

Note: I just recently started my Y version, and I am currently in Santalune City, getting ready to face the first gym.

I choice Fennekin, and I plan on picking Squirtle when I get to Lumiose City. What I'm having problems with right now, is deciding on some Pokémon to fill my team with. As a rule, I generally do not have Pokémon that have the same typing on my team (including secondary/Mega typing).

My Flying type is the first issue I'm running into. Right now, I have Fletchling on my team, but as a filler for the time being; having Fennekin, I would prefer not to have Talonflame on my team. From my X I can bring over a Noibat, a Swablu, or I could catch a Pidgey. I used Pidgey in my X, so I would prefer not to.

Second is my Dragon type. In this part I have conflicting interests with my Flying Pokémon. Both Noibat and Swablu (later Altaria) would fill my Dragon type, but I am also considering trying Skrelp (Dragalge later), or maybe Bagon or Gible, both of whom I have never really used before in-game. I'm partially leaning towards Skrelp, though it is possible for me to breed a Dratini to send over as well.

The third type I'm stuck on is Fairy. I didn't bother with Fairy that much in X, except the few battles with Xerneas, but I'm considering putting a Fairy on my Y team. I've thought of Sylveon, Florges, and maybe Mawile, but my knowledge of the Fairy typing and it's Pokémon is still developing.

The sixth Pokémon is up in the air, as of type and species. I've thought of maybe a Grass type, or Electric, or Rock/Ground.

So basically… (tl;dr)

Flying:
  • Noibat*
  • Swablu*
  • Pidgey

Dragon:
  • Noibat*
  • Swablu*
  • Skrelp
  • Bagon
  • Gible
  • Dratini

Fairy:
  • Sylveon
  • Florges
  • Mawile

* - fits more than one typing

Out of all that I've listed, who would you recommend?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
You're already having a dragon-type on your team, but if you go with either Noibat or Swablu, you'd end up with two at the end. This definitely wouldn't be a good idea, as it'd leave you pretty weak against ice, dragon, and fairy. For flying, I'd recommend Pidgey. If you really don't want to go with it, though, then a good alternative would be Starly. As for your second slot, I suggest Skrelp. Gible wouldn't be such a bad choice, either. For last slot, try Florges. Its stats are quite heavy on special side of things, so it shouldn't be that hard to utilize. :)

Years
Yeah, I thought about the two Dragon types. I was thinking that if I chose Swablu or Noibat, I would skip picking another Dragon type and just go for another type to fill the spot.

I was kind of leaning heavily on Skrelp, because the typing interests me. I'll definetly keep Florges in mind, thanks for the advice!

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
Why not have more than six Pokemon? I like rotating it out since the game goes out of its way to be too easy.

Skrelp is great. I used one and even though its speed sucks, its other abilities are awesome. As it its typing.

I would suggest:
Delphox
Blastoise
Dragalge
Skarmory
Florges
Krookodile
Jolteon

Krookodile gives you STAB Earthquake, which comes in handy. Jolteon for speed, which is what this team lacks.

Back