• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen An introduction of new types...?

Years
But why? It wouldn't really make sense if you can utilize poison attacks towards something and not poison it (the exception being poison type themselves).
Because I think a Steel Pokémon should be immune to Poison status since it's steel. But it should still take damage from Poison attacks, shouldn't Acid/Acid Spray work to melt Steel? I just hate how Steel made Poison even more nerfed. :/ But then, seeing how GF stupidly made Toxic learnable by almost every damn specie... I don't know u_u

Anyway, this stupid Sylveon is probably a new type... -__- So I'm starting to believe a new type will be introduced... I just hope they won't add 2 new types or more. ._.
Well, it's kinda obvious, but I also think this Generation will have to do with genes and DNA...: X Pokémon, Y Pokémon, an introduction of a new Eeveelution (Eevee is know for its particularly unique DNA) and the next movies is mainly about Genesects (who had their genes modified) a new Mewtwo (most probably another DNA modification...)
So, if there is a new type, chances is it will have some connection with DNA... Can't wait to see...

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
The problem I have with that theory is that Dark was introduced as a way to hinder Psychic types, which almost makes it an opposite. On top of that, types are generally introduced as they are found in the natural world for the most part, and Light is pretty much cover by Electric/Fire (as they produce light)/Normal (all the fairies and everything). It just seems redundant to me at this point =/

Guy

just a guy
Years
Honestly, despite the gap in years since Dark and Steel-types were introduced, I wouldn't entirely mind a new type. From what I see, a lot of people don't want a new type now either because they thinks it's been too long, it's not needed, or they fear it will mess up the balance of the current system. Although, one would think that if GameFreak were to incorporate a new type today they would have learned from previous mistakes and keep the balance with whatever new type they would want to add.

BugBoyTroy

Professor in-training
Years
I think a sound type would be a great addition and fit in perfectly with the current way things war, with normal types filling in for "sound" Pokemon. I really dislike the idea of a "fairy" type because light would fit so much better, again replacing or adding to many normal types. Even if sound still had the same properties as normal types (or more likely lacking immunities to and from ghosts), it would just make abilities such as Soundproof much clearer.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Hm... as I've pretty much said a while back, several months ago. If there was ever a Light-type introduced it would balance out typing very well.

And to those who think that "adding in a new type would cause imbalances with many Pokémon", it won't. There's plenty of room for a type or two, I can tell you that it's impossible to take out a Spiritomb in one turn unless you're at a level that's more higher than Spiritomb. And as for Tynamo, Eelektrik, Eelektross... they can only be taken out in one turn if the player's Pokémon has Mold Breaker ability.

So those things tell me... that there's room to counter those issues, Electric-type only has one weakness, while Ghost and Dark types have Pokémon that have a Ghost/Dark type combination.

Anything can happen, if Fairy-type became a reality... it could be strong against Electric types due to it's illusion-like attacks to conducting electricity and fire. And if Light-type became a reality, it would be strong against both Ghost and Dark types, which would take out Pokémon like Spirtomb in one turn, due to the attacks based on light wavelengths (eg. infrared, ultraviolet, visible light, gamma ray).

It really doesn't matter what type they introduce in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, Game Freak will figure a way to balance them all out... for every Pokémon. And if you're wondering why there was problems with the typing in Generation I, it was due to the lack of types, lack of development team and amount of time they had back then. They've come a long way since those days, and many things have changed since then.

Just saying.

Years
Hm... as I've pretty much said a while back, several months ago. If there was ever a Light-type introduced it would balance out typing very well.

And to those who think that "adding in a new type would cause imbalances with many Pokémon", it won't. There's plenty of room for a type or two, I can tell you that it's impossible to take out a Spiritomb in one turn unless you're at a level that's more higher than Spiritomb. And as for Tynamo, Eelektrik, Eelektross... they can only be taken out in one turn if the player's Pokémon has Mold Breaker ability.

So those things tell me... that there's room to counter those issues, Electric-type only has one weakness, while Ghost and Dark types have Pokémon that have a Ghost/Dark type combination.

Anything can happen, if Fairy-type became a reality... it could be strong against Electric types due to it's illusion-like attacks to conducting electricity and fire. And if Light-type became a reality, it would be strong against both Ghost and Dark types, which would take out Pokémon like Spirtomb in one turn, due to the attacks based on light wavelengths (eg. infrared, ultraviolet, visible light, gamma ray).

It really doesn't matter what type they introduce in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, Game Freak will figure a way to balance them all out... for every Pokémon. And if you're wondering why there was problems with the typing in Generation I, it was due to the lack of types, lack of development team and amount of time they had back then. They've come a long way since those days, and many things have changed since then.

Just saying.
but spiritomb and eleektross created like this that they won't have any weakness

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Honestly, despite the gap in years since Dark and Steel-types were introduced, I wouldn't entirely mind a new type. From what I see, a lot of people don't want a new type now either because they thinks it's been too long, it's not needed, or they fear it will mess up the balance of the current system. Although, one would think that if GameFreak were to incorporate a new type today they would have learned from previous mistakes and keep the balance with whatever new type they would want to add.

Or even so they'd limit the new type to just one or two Pokemon so it doesn't affect much overall.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
Spoiler:

And I respectfully disagree. Nobody can say for sure what adding a new type to the game can cause. Whether it's balanced or not is something we can't reasonably speculate at this stage. I do, however, think that new types are completely unneeded and definitely add the risk of creating balancing issues. As far as I'm concerned, Steel- and Dark-type were added to help balance the game and fix problems that Gen I had with balancing. Psychic- and Dragon-types were vastly overpowered.

Nothing could resist dragon-type moves (and while Dragon Rage was the only move in Gen 1, Gen 2 introduced Outrage, Twister, and DragonBreath, all which would've been unresisted otherwise), so they had to create something that could handle that. In comes Steel as nothing else really makes sense for resisting Dragon.

Psychic in Gen 1 was ridiculous as well. Pokemon like Slowbro and Alakazam were scary as all hell. With the single special stat instead of the attack / defense split, the move Amnesia was a free +2 to essentially both. It was too easy to decimate a team with your psychic pokemon even if they had a resistance to it (because after a +2 you're already essentially hitting for neutral with STAB). In comes Dark, introducing an immunity to such things. Of course they also added the Attack / Defense split for the special side as well which ended up crippling Psychics for quite some time, but as of Gen 5 Psychic type pokemon are up there yet again.

I just see a new type as not being needed at all and runs risks that far outweigh the benefits.

Also about Spiritomb and Eelektross. Spiritomb is meant to be a defensive pokemon. Just because he has no weaknesses doesn't mean he's overpowered. Sure, he can take a hit or two. He can't do too much back though which makes him fulfill his role as a defensive pokemon. Eelektross can also be OHKO'd pretty easily and also has very very low speed making it not terribly threatening. Again, just because a pokemon has no weaknesses doesn't make it overpowered.

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
Retyping Speculation

If Gen VI does add the Fairy/Light typing rumor that is floating around, they will most likely change old Pokemon, such as Clefairy and Mawile, into that new type or to include that typing. Do you think they will use this as an excuse to change other Pokemon's typing to what they should have been like the rumor of them mixing up Psyduck and Slowpoke's typing or making, for example, Blastoise a Water/Rock-Steel-Ground type because he looks like he would be? Do you think they will add more types including the Fairy/Light one? If so what will the Pokemon that are affected by it become?

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
If Fairy/Lightning is introduced there will be a few Pokemon getting this type i think, such as the Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Togepi and maybe even the Minccino line. Mawile to me doesnt really look liek a fairy type, rather the "opposing" dark type, but oh well.

I hope/think they won't retype too many other Pokemon that are not affected but this new type, since things are fine as they are right now. Making Blastoise a dual type after so many years in existence would just be weird and out of place i think.

And i don't think there will be more than just one new type (if any), since there is no trace of evidence that could suggest it. Sylveon's type being secret makes me believe he is going to be a new type, but i don't think there is going to be a 2nd one

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
If Fairy/Lightning is introduced there will be a few Pokemon getting this type i think, such as the Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Togepi and maybe even the Minccino line. Mawile to me doesnt really look liek a fairy type, rather the "opposing" dark type, but oh well.

I hope/think they won't retype too many other Pokemon that are not affected but this new type, since things are fine as they are right now. Making Blastoise a dual type after so many years in existence would just be weird and out of place i think.

And i don't think there will be more than just one new type (if any), since there is no trace of evidence that could suggest it. Sylveon's type being secret makes me believe he is going to be a new type, but i don't think there is going to be a 2nd one

You mean Fairy/Light? Lightning makes no sense with Electric being a type. I said Mawile as an example because the rumor lists it. I just used Blastoise as an example because I couldn't think of one people would understand as an example which needs a new typing.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Yes sorry, i meant Light and not Lightning
And i wasn't attacking you or your ideas, i was just using them as examples as well ;)

Princess Diana

the people's princess
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023

I agree (on Mawile). It just looks like a steel-type Pokemon, perhaps more so normal-type to me.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
If Gen VI does add the Fairy/Light typing rumor that is floating around, they will most likely change old Pokemon, such as Clefairy and Mawile, into that new type or to include that typing. Do you think they will use this as an excuse to change other Pokemon's typing to what they should have been like the rumor of them mixing up Psyduck and Slowpoke's typing or making, for example, Blastoise a Water/Rock-Steel-Ground type because he looks like he would be? Do you think they will add more types including the Fairy/Light one? If so what will the Pokemon that are affected by it become?

There is no guarantee of retyping. If its been one type for years and generations there isn't much chance of them changing type. Blastoise is a turtle. Its shell is supposed to be hard. If Blastoise has to gain an additional type then so does Torkoal.

I don't seen them retyping Pokemon. There isn't any need and all it will do is question why these new types didn't effect the Pokemon before. Why did they have to weaken older Pokemon by giving it a new type? Even if they added a new type there isn't much to say that anything else would change.

Years
one pokemon that should be retyped is gyarados, back then it didn't got part dragon type because the only dragon type move that exist was dragon rage which basicly mean he would have no weakness, but today there are a lot of dragon type move and maybe a new type will introduce and even make dragon type less powerful.
so i think that if to retype some pokemon gyarados is a good choice

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
There is no guarantee of retyping. If its been one type for years and generations there isn't much chance of them changing type. Blastoise is a turtle. Its shell is supposed to be hard. If Blastoise has to gain an additional type then so does Torkoal.

I don't seen them retyping Pokemon. There isn't any need and all it will do is question why these new types didn't effect the Pokemon before. Why did they have to weaken older Pokemon by giving it a new type? Even if they added a new type there isn't much to say that anything else would change.
I don't think Blastoise should get a new type either... I was using it as an example... Clefairy being the Fairy Pokemon and all, it'd be weird to stay Normal type if Fairy type is real... Many of the types were done wrong, so implementing the new type and changing many Pokemon types would give them the reason to fix their own problems.

one pokemon that should be retyped is gyarados, back then it didn't got part dragon type because the only dragon type move that exist was dragon rage which basicly mean he would have no weakness, but today there are a lot of dragon type move and maybe a new type will introduce and even make dragon type less powerful.
so i think that if to retype some pokemon gyarados is a good choice
I think they didn't make Gyrados a Dragon for three reasons: The one you listed, wanting Dragonite to be the only Dragon family in Gen 1, and the Legend Magikarp and Gyrados are based on said the creature is dragon like, but not actually a dragon.

I think a Rock/Light type Gem Pokemon makes sense, but the luster from a gem isn't actually light. Steel/Light laser type thing would be cool, if done correctly. I think they will bring in new types commonly as we progress as it changes the meta up which makes people that are falling out of Pokemon, like I was, come back. The new Panda Pokemon didn't hurt in that regard...

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I definitely don't see any Pokémon getting retyped honestly. If there ends up being a new type then MAYBE we'll see some old Pokémon gaining that type, similar to how the Magnemite line got its part Steel typing. Random retypings though I definitely don't seem happening, especially like giving Blastoise a Rock/Steel secondary just for its shell.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
I'd love to see other Pokemon retyped to the new type [only], esp. if it ends up being Fairy.

There are so many older Pokemon that could earn that classification! Jigglypuff, Clefairy, Snubull... Just to name a few. Everything else should remain untouched, however, as to not be too "startling." Just getting a new type is "startling" enough! No need to revamp everything.

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
I would love the fairy type to be introduced, as we have dragon, and it actually makes sense, as a lot of old Pokémon would fit into this typing. This is what I want if they decide to change old Pokémon types! Cleffa, Clefairy, and Clefable should now be purely fairy type, along with Igglybuff, Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff, Happiny, Chansey, Blissey and Togepi. Audino, Snubbull, Granbull, Skitty and Delcatty should be normal/fairy, and I also think Togetic and Togekiss should be fairy/flying. I would also like to see Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf all become psychic/fairy type. Maybe Mienshao should become fighting/fairy type too, and Mawile should become steel/fairy! And of course Sylveon will be this type, and maybe Xerneas will be fairy/steel.

Back