• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokemon Red and Blue Deluxe

Should monsters have Generation 2-styled front sprites?

• Yes

Votes: 372 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 81 17.9%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
I know this is kinda dumb but I wanted to ask what songs were ported over from TCG1/2 & Pinball?

Pinball:

Red Field Theme (Viridian City) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyxh_6-Nw-Q (Appears in Challenge Mode only)

TCG:

Water, Rock and Psychic Clubs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgH86xSzCCA (Gate theme)

TCG 2:

Game Corner - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEVJX4RmFGg (Game Corner Prize Shop)
GR Overworld - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwCvpGepdNw (Route Theme 5)
GR Castle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-jRDEb-548 (Final Gym Theme)

They don't sound exactly the same due to different soundfonts

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen yesterday
Pinball:

Red Field Theme (Viridian City) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyxh_6-Nw-Q (Appears in Challenge Mode only)

TCG:

Water, Rock and Psychic Clubs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgH86xSzCCA (Gate theme)

TCG 2:

Game Corner - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEVJX4RmFGg (Game Corner Prize Shop)
GR Overworld - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwCvpGepdNw (Route Theme 5)
GR Castle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-jRDEb-548 (Final Gym Theme)

They don't sound exactly the same due to different soundfonts
I should rip the new versions of the songs on my emulator whenever the game is updated again as I will go back to it. For now, I'm just taking a break. Thanks for this as now I can do it. When will the next compiled patch be released anyway?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
I should rip the new versions of the songs on my emulator whenever the game is updated again as I will go back to it. For now, I'm just taking a break. Thanks for this as now I can do it. When will the next compiled patch be released anyway?

The next patch will be out when the Gen 2 sprite patch is completed. There's five mons left to be done (Mienfoo, Mienshao, Golett, Golurk and Cryogonal) so I surmise it won't be too much longer; depends on when people chime in with sprites.

An exception would be if there are any game breaking bugs found before then, which I doubt there are any left.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2022
Hello again, I know that you already finish this hack rom witch I have played and enjoyed on my emulator, but are you planning on setting this up for the 3ds 2016 virtual console version of the games? This way we could use the local wireless feature to play more competitively on a handheld plataform.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
Hello again, I know that you already finish this hack rom witch I have played and enjoyed on my emulator, but are you planning on setting this up for the 3ds 2016 virtual console version of the games? This way we could use the local wireless feature to play more competitively on a handheld plataform.

Such a concept would be amazing! But far, far out of my reach, as I've got no experience with 3DS homebrew or anything of the likes. I'd be amazed if it were possible, and even more so if someone successfully pulled it off.

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
Years
Is this good?
zkqcj.jpg

I can do the backsprite too, let me know what you think.

Side note, im playing this on my phone with MyOldboy and the regular save function isnt working, only with save states. If i save and reset by hitting A+B+ST+SEL there is an option to continue, however it disappears on a hard reset. Meh, could be the emulator being confused about the gameboy type since it wasnt originally gbc, I dunno.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen yesterday
Those sprites look killer! I would like to see them in the game soon!

Years
This is just a suggestion, but do you think you could change Red's Character sprite. It's a bit off putting to see a garbled texture of red when entering a battle, considering that the Pokemon sprites are pretty detailed. Like you use the gen 2 sprite of Trainer Red. Since your using the graphics hack for this hack anyway! :)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
Longest time I've gone without responding; I've been busy with some other endeavors and whatnot.

Is this good?
zkqcj.jpg

I can do the backsprite too, let me know what you think.

Side note, im playing this on my phone with MyOldboy and the regular save function isnt working, only with save states. If i save and reset by hitting A+B+ST+SEL there is an option to continue, however it disappears on a hard reset. Meh, could be the emulator being confused about the gameboy type since it wasnt originally gbc, I dunno.

Sadly, it's too big for me to work with not an issue anymore, plus the dithering isn't satisfactory enough. Thank you regardless; it's much appreciated.

Hello, im new to your hack, really want it to be finished so i can play it. I see you need some sprites?

why not use sprites from here:http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=349305 Pokémon Essentials GS

Heres all the sprites you're looking for in that project
mlFv0g3.png

please let me know if its helpful, thanks

These look fantastic! The only issue from first glance is their size - they might have to be resized since the maximum size for a back sprite is 48x48 and 56x56 for the front sprite.
EDIT: I've found a way to resize them to the requirement I need. So these will work, thank you for finding this!

This is just a suggestion, but do you think you could change Red's Character sprite. It's a bit off putting to see a garbled texture of red when entering a battle, considering that the Pokemon sprites are pretty detailed. Like you use the gen 2 sprite of Trainer Red. Since your using the graphics hack for this hack anyway! :)

I definitely would, but I'd also have to snag a Gen 2 styled sprite for the female character as well, I'd rather include them as a pair instead of leaving one without an updated sprite.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
I can now confirm that all sprites have now been completed! The Gen 2 sprite patch should now be technically "complete". Thanks to Linnie for the Shellos and Gastrodon sprites and marillmau5 for reminding me that GS Essentials was a thing.

1.08 should be out very soon - the last thing for me to do is add more custom sprite palettes as a lot of GS sprites simply don't look that good by using the pre-set SGB palettes.

Well, I used to sprite back in the day, let's see how my skills are today! Is there any way I can access Blue 's (Female Trainer) Sprite and try to Gen 2 it? Unless there someone has already done that.

Here ya go.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 21, 2021
So, this hack has been out for 3 months now. Honestly, it's gained way more attention than I imagined it getting, and I'm really humbled by it.

The last update this received was 1.07 - two months ago. In retrospect, this was a rushed "alpha" release, seeing as during the time my cable was going to be turned off and I was dealing with a ton of personal stress. This update introduced Gen 2 sprites to the fray, but many of them had weak coloring and overall just felt like an extension of the Gen 1 sprites more than anything.

This changes today.

Version 1.08

Download here.

Changelog:
Spoiler:

As the introduction to this post should've already hinted, this update is primarily about the massive sprite changes that have occurred. The Gen 2 sprite patch is now 100% complete, barring below-average backsprites for the Flabebe line, and several pre-existing back sprites and front sprites have been replaced for quality reasons - even Gen 1 sprites received a few touch ups here and there. This is by far the biggest graphical update of the hack so far, and probably it's biggest update since it's been put in front of the public. I absolutely urge you to update if you haven't. For those who have already played, perhaps the changes will give you motivation to give RBDX another playthrough, who knows?

1.08 has also fixed a lot of bugs that were posted to me, but since this is a fairly large update, I expect more to be created as a result. Continue reporting them, y'all have been doing a fine job.

Now, all this talk wouldn't be complete without some proof, would it?

First off, we've got brand new back sprites for the player characters, with Blue's being done by burstxshadowzx:

Spoiler:

Second, as I said, the color quality of the Gen 2 sprites should now match.. well, a Gen 2 game.

Spoiler:

Thirdly, while this was NOT introduced in 1.08 (and keen players probably already pieced that together), it's been massively fleshed out now. If you've been tuned in to the RPG Maker Pokemon craze going around the past few years, you'll know that games like Reborn and Rejuvenation incorporate custom shiny 'mons. Now, it's time for ROM hacks to do the same. These are just a few examples.

Special thanks to Purple Zigzagoon, Nyalicirno, krawky398 and InnocentBoy for helping me with these!

Spoiler:

And it'd be no good for me to leave Gen 1 sprites without any love, either.

Spoiler:

So there you have it! RBDX will continue to receive updates in the future, though I expect the next update to be nowhere as large as this one. Currently, I'm looking into the Move Relearner (courtesy of Mateo and ShantyTown with Red++), but I would rather not jump ahead and add something that hasn't even been released before 2.3, so I'll give that more time.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen yesterday
Just got the new patch and boy, it was awesome rematching the Gyms and E4 again and won't ruin it for others here but the true final boss is kinda tough but wasn't nothing I couldn't handle. I can say this is one of the best hacks out there now with certainty.

Unown Seer

Earnest
Years
  • Seen Dec 6, 2020
I waited for the Gen 2 sprite patch to resume my playthrough, and I ended up restarting since the combination of H3 difficulty and Inverse Mode proved to be a bit too much. But without Inverse Mode, the game is quite fun.

What I want to know is if I will be able to activate Inverse Mode for the Battle Factory (I know it can be done for link battles). If not, adding this to the next patch would be greatly appreciated.

There are some changes from subsequent generations you might want to implement:

1. Adding Earthquake to the TM compatibility lists of several Pokemon (such as the fully evolved starters).

2. Increasing Fly's power to 90 and Giga Drain's to 75.

By the way, you forgot to list Kingdra in the evolution document.

Last edited:

Linnie

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 16, 2022
I started playing myself, H1 difficulty with Inverse on, and have a couple glitches/oddities to note.

If you white out in the overworld from poison in an area that plays the same music as your last checkpoint (I whited out in the route before Cerulean and got back outside the Mt. Moon PC), no music plays at all when you spawn, and it stays silent until you change areas to cause new music to play. I'm not sure if this is a glitch in vanilla RB, but either way I'd look at it.

On Nugget Bridge, Blue has a Lv. 15 Abra that
seems to know only Teleport. I'm not sure if this is intentional for it to be this week, but it seems like an odd choice for a major battle.

Fotomac

Genwunner and proud of it
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
On Nugget Bridge, Blue has a Lv. 15 Abra that seems to know only Teleport. I'm not sure if this is intentional for it to be this week, but it seems like an odd choice for a major battle.

I'm pretty sure he's just trying to get you off your guard before you have to deal with his Hyper Fang Rattata, but other than that theory, I don't know.

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
Years
Any idea how i can get these games to save the normal way on MyOldBoy on android?

Years
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
Any idea how i can get these games to save the normal way on MyOldBoy on android?
I just downloaded the Free version and I was able to do a normal save on Blue and reload it just fine.

Maybe try putting a sav with the rom's name from an emulator in the folder where you have the rom? That's the only idea I have.

Back