• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Yeah, or in a hex editor. either way, you're searching for FFs. and yeah, every frame since you need a new offset for each.

GoGoJJTech

Years
Now I myself have a question. How could I check if the player is on a bike?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 23, 2013
I hate to re-post, but it seems as if my post was unnoticed. I know there was another question being answered while I asked. I was just hoping if anyone had an answer for it? Arabic/Pashto/Persion Farsi font in Pokemon Fire Red? Anyway to do it?

GoGoJJTech

Years
I hate to re-post, but it seems as if my post was unnoticed. I know there was another question being answered while I asked. I was just hoping if anyone had an answer for it? Arabic/Pashto/Persion Farsi font in Pokemon Fire Red? Anyway to do it?

I don't think so. There are other languages of gen 3 ROMs, but it's advised to stay in U.S versions. To make your own Font, you might need to ask others who know how.

Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2015
Hello,

What hex values would I need to change to make the charcoal, mystic water, twistedspoon etc from 10% boost to 20%, like in Gen IV? Thanks a lot!

Henakuo

Moonlit Trainer
Years
I'm new here so please dont brutalize me if I do something wrong ._.

Okay, I'm ROM hacking for the first time, Pokemon FireRed. I cant post my links to the pics of the problem because apparently I cant post links until I've posted 15 times :l So I will try to make the problem as clear as possible using words.

Basically, in the intro with OAK, I am replacing the sprites for both the male trainer and the rival.

I get the into the game fine, all is good, they look nice and pretty and all looks right.

That is, BEFORE I name them.

My male trainers problem is a small one, he looks fine, but again, once I name him (custom name, he stays looking fine if I choose a preset name, not giving the screen the opportunity to do the black transition) his colors change. His shirt is fine, his pants, hair, headband, all fine. MOST of his skin is fine as well, but the dark shading on the skin changes to a...dark green color. Again, this is ONLY if I go to the "name your character" screen. I just ignored this and changed the text so oak says "you seem sick" to just play off the glitch.

The rivals is MUCH worse. Exact same as above, but...all of the skin changes to blood red. All of it, not just the dark shading. Only does it if I go to the naming screen, but this ones a little...hard to play off. "Oh your rival seems to be bleeding profusely from EVERYWHERE"

Yeah no...

If anyone has an answer as to how to fix this odd coloring problem it would be greatly appreciated... I'll try and go post 15 times so I can put up images of this weird issue..

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
I'm new here so please dont brutalize me if I do something wrong ._.

Okay, I'm ROM hacking for the first time, Pokemon FireRed. I cant post my links to the pics of the problem because apparently I cant post links until I've posted 15 times :l So I will try to make the problem as clear as possible using words.

Basically, in the intro with OAK, I am replacing the sprites for both the male trainer and the rival.

I get the into the game fine, all is good, they look nice and pretty and all looks right.

That is, BEFORE I name them.

My male trainers problem is a small one, he looks fine, but again, once I name him (custom name, he stays looking fine if I choose a preset name, not giving the screen the opportunity to do the black transition) his colors change. His shirt is fine, his pants, hair, headband, all fine. MOST of his skin is fine as well, but the dark shading on the skin changes to a...dark green color. Again, this is ONLY if I go to the "name your character" screen. I just ignored this and changed the text so oak says "you seem sick" to just play off the glitch.

The rivals is MUCH worse. Exact same as above, but...all of the skin changes to blood red. All of it, not just the dark shading. Only does it if I go to the naming screen, but this ones a little...hard to play off. "Oh your rival seems to be bleeding profusely from EVERYWHERE"

Yeah no...

If anyone has an answer as to how to fix this odd coloring problem it would be greatly appreciated... I'll try and go post 15 times so I can put up images of this weird issue..

I honestly have never heard of an issue like this before, but I will try my best to help you.

First off what I could recommend is to use JPANs hack applier, it makes it possible to create new OWs so you don't have to replace other ones.

This might be able to fix your issue with your rivals palette. Because instead of changing your rivals OW, you can just make a new OW and make that OW your rival.

As for the player, I would assume it would be something to do with ASM. Where the palette want's to stay at 0, and you have changed your palette to 3 or something like that.

The person I would ask about this issue would be karatekid552, i'm pretty sure he would understand exactly what is happening here and give you the direction to fix the problem.

However, I just HIGHLY recommend using JPANs hack applier for the rival, so you can make a brand new OW. For a guide to insert new OWs, use this.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=211535

and a link for the actual hack applier is here.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=194241

GoGoJJTech

Years
How would one go about changing what HM's can be used depending on the badge you earned?

You could search for the script for each move, and change the checkflag, or you could just set a different flag for each gym.

Hello,

What hex values would I need to change to make the charcoal, mystic water, twistedspoon etc from 10% boost to 20%, like in Gen IV? Thanks a lot!

Fourth gen hacking is not too popular yet, and only basic things are changable. You could try gen 3 since everything is already looked into.

Last edited:

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024

Henakuo

Moonlit Trainer
Years
I honestly have never heard of an issue like this before, but I will try my best to help you.

First off what I could recommend is to use JPANs hack applier, it makes it possible to create new OWs so you don't have to replace other ones.

This might be able to fix your issue with your rivals palette. Because instead of changing your rivals OW, you can just make a new OW and make that OW your rival.

As for the player, I would assume it would be something to do with ASM. Where the palette want's to stay at 0, and you have changed your palette to 3 or something like that.

The person I would ask about this issue would be karatekid552, i'm pretty sure he would understand exactly what is happening here and give you the direction to fix the problem.

However, I just HIGHLY recommend using JPANs hack applier for the rival, so you can make a brand new OW. For a guide to insert new OWs, use this.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=211535

and a link for the actual hack applier is here.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=194241
Oh thank you very much for the resources! I'll give it a shot, if all decides to blow up in my face again you can expect to see my charred face up on the threads again x3

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Oh thank you very much for the resources! I'll give it a shot, if all decides to blow up in my face again you can expect to see my charred face up on the threads again x3

Dude, I have done soooo much work with OWs, it isn't funny. I have expanded them, made them change by var instantly, swap pallettes, everything (except make them walk diagnoaly, that may come eventually:p Jambo found the movement table had 9 slots not 4. It would seem that late in development, then diagnol movement was cut, hence the test sumo wrestler in Ruby.)

However, after all of that, I have no clear idea what would cause your issue. I think the same OW loader that is used in those screens is the same as the normal one. I do have a theory though: the routine which loads OW palettes here MAY have been corrupted so that it doesn't load the palettes (maybe the branch out to the decompressor was noped by accident?) What I want you to do, is get to the intro in VBA. Go Tools->Palette Viewer and check the box "automatic update". Now, go backto the game and go through the intro watching the palettes on the right. The Hero should be the first palette slot (the first row). I can't remember which palette slot the rival is (the numbers 2 and 4 stick out in my head, but I'm not sure), but by your description, it should be apparent which slot he is using. Now, look at the other palettes. Do you see the correct palettes in there? If you don't, then it is a loading issue. If you do, but the OWs aren't using them, then it is a slot issue.

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2023
If I want to edit some of the dialogue in the game, let's say whatever Professor Oak in FireRed says when he gives you the Pokédex, would I have to make a script and assign it to a new offset, or can I just simply edit the string in the already-existing script? (Using XSE)

GoGoJJTech

Years
If I want to edit some of the dialogue in the game, let's say whatever Professor Oak in FireRed says when he gives you the Pokédex, would I have to make a script and assign it to a new offset, or can I just simply edit the string in the already-existing script? (Using XSE)

Do a new offset because if you accidentally mess up and go over the original limit, then you get corrupted data, and your game dies... So always use new offsets no matter what your doing so you avoid ROM failure.

Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2018
could someone explain to me how exactly vars work?
i've been searching for days bt i haven't quite found the answer
basically i want to make a script where this character only appears on five island after interacting with him somewhere else... vars are the way to go about this right?

GoGoJJTech

Years
could someone explain to me how exactly vars work?
i've been searching for days bt i haven't quite found the answer
basically i want to make a script where this character only appears on five island after interacting with him somewhere else... vars are the way to go about this right?

Vars are (like) flags in the way that they store info. But a flag is either 0 or 1, unset and set. Vars are whatever you want them to be, from 0 to 65535, so you could use like 2 vars for a hack. More info: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=302347

Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2018
yeh i got that much, i think i understand what they are just not how to use them properly, just really need to know how to use it for this script ><... but thanks alot though :)

GoGoJJTech

Years
Well for the script you could have this:
setvar 0x40ff 0x1
So when the event finishes, var 40ff has a value of 1.
Then in the island, have a level script:
compare 0x40ff 0x1
if 0x1 goto @keep_him
goto @hide_him
release
end

#org @hide_him
hidesprite 0xXX
release
end

#org @keep_him
release