• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: DS Map Graphics Editor

Do you want Platinum, HG/SS and BW first Map for the first release?

• Yes

Votes: 396 90.8%
  • No, later

Votes: 40 9.2%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Aug 21, 2014
First post :/

This tool looks so cool. I can't wait for this tool to be release :)

Gigatom~

Pokemon Ruthenium Creator ~
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 25, 2012
Amazing, that would probably be the first 4th Gen Map Editor. Very good job.

Gigatom~

mindfreak

Belgium Rom hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
Can this only move the big objects? (like houses and stuff)
Or can you also edit the grass/Trees?
Just asking because you didn't show us more....
(And I already knew how to change models...)

Anyway good job,
Good luck with the first 4th Gen map Editor.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Yes! It's about time! I was just about to create a map editor for the 4th generation, actually.

Looks to me like it's pretty easier than all other generations. I wish you luck with the editor, because it looks like you'd pretty much be the first to ever have a map editor for the 4th generation.

I'd might as well work on attempting to create a map editor that would edit the hex in the ROM and not have to extract the ROM in order to do so. That is... once I learn how to use Microsoft Visual Basic.

But great work, I'm not sure why no one was doing it earlier. Because this will be... the beginning of 4th Generation hacks. So we're no longer stuck in the past of 2D hacking anymore, we'll finally be able to edit 3D! YAY!

However, I'm not sure if the grass and house are in the same objects. Are they different again? Or is the grass an object?

Last edited:

jota_rdk

Spanish hacker [Javi4315]
Years
I think it will be a good tool. I will prove it when you publish the tool.

Greetings!

Gigatom~

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 25, 2012
I've got one question. How will we be able to edit the models?
Have you thought of an Editor in the Map Editor (would be more comfortable), or
how will we make them ?
I don't now anything about 3D Models and those things, so maybe this questions would be stupid ;)

Gigatom~

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 25, 2012
I don't think thats important right now because you can still make a great game with the old models:)

Yeah, but it would be really nice when you can insert your own models, which would be a big difference to other games.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011

Yeah, but it would be really nice when you can insert your own models, which would be a big difference to other games.

There are plenty of great hacks that don't edit GameFreak's tiles. And if they do they look like they were made by GameFreak.

Gigatom~

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 25, 2012

There are plenty of great hacks that don't edit GameFreak's tiles. And if they do they look like they were made by GameFreak.

I know, but it would make your game unique if you can insert your models.
And, you can imitate Game Freaks style, too.

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
The screens look very promising. I'm not a programmer myself, but I hope you get help from other programmers. Anyways, good luck.

flash boy

Hacking since 2006
Years
Good luck with this one. It'll be fairly interesting to see how this one turns out.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
3D mapping is different from other consoles... since it's all on the Nintendo DS engine. It's gonna be so fantastic to see the first map editor.

It's more harder than 3G.
Because models (houses, buildings) and textures (grass, trees) are separate in the Map.

That's why i've made other modes.

Hm... interesting. I had a feeling the Structure Objects and Layout Objects were sepparate because when I used the Walk Through Walls code... the textures on the Layout Objects were missing on a map that was supposed to have them, which only leaves it completely white.

As for the Structure Objects... they just appear as a block with gridlines in it.

It feels as if it might be a little easier to edit D/P with a tool like a map editor... because in the 3rd generation... we haven't figured out how to add new movements to different tiles.

Some Layout Objects probably have different frames, for the different textures. Because there's some Structure Objects that have movement, like the Wind Turbines for instance, they might have the different frames for the movement, as for the flowers probably are based on the different textures.

Gigatom~

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 25, 2012
For models, you don't need see anything.
But you can use the fantastic Yet Another Map Viewer, if you want. :)

Haha, but maybe you can combine your Editor with knizz Yet another Map Viewer if that's possible. ;)

mindfreak

Belgium Rom hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
Cool, this is looking really good!
To bad I cant help you programming.
(I can barely program a calculator....)

Any idea when this will be released?
(Take all the time you need I'll wait.)

knizz

Years
  • Seen Oct 28, 2020
Yes, for refresh in real time, but i don't know how i can do :p

Learn a bit FLTK. Read "map_editor.cpp", "map.c" and "map.h". Add some buttons in "map_editor.cpp". Let the callbacks change the values in the structures for buildings. Rewrite the map-reader so it interprets the map-model as raw data and not as a model (because model-writing doesn't work yet).

You ask me why I don't do it myself? I'm way too lazy.

PS: If you are actually interested then wait until I upload the latest version.

Back