• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
I just imagined attempting to RP EV training, IVing, grindy mechanics and anti-Metagame shenanigans...

I think my soul started crushing itself a little in anticipation. ;o

Rokusasu

Scientist Salarian
Years
Eeeeeengliiiiish?

Though in regards to language, I may have inadvertently given my character 'The cabbage' as his surname in his SU for Red's RP. So he is Sebastien The Cabbage. Huzzah.

I tried EV training once. Never again, unless I'd be allowed to write: "X fought 50 Magikarp while wearing a Macho Brace." (With embellishments of course, to avoid going under 4 lines. Oh sweet baby Jebus, save me~)

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
yeeeyyy~ i'm so happy xD alot of people are joining my RP "PMD: Victory's Reign" X3 i promise i will be a good GM everyone who joined and people who are about to join :)

can someone help me? how do you make a OOC treat? do i need to make a need treat like the IC treat?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
you make OOC threads in the Roleplay Lounge subforum. I don't mind what you put into it, as long as you make it clear that it is the OOC. Most people copy and paste what's in the IC into the OOC thread but yeah, I don't mind that much.

Sapphire Rose

Years
SD- i knoowww xD it's my first RP go easy on meee! ... Jk :3 and thanks X3 i hope this goes well too :) untill now alot people are joining ^^ i guess having gijinka's instead of pokemon was a good idea ;D

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
What would EVtraining/grinding have to do with RPing?

What I meant was that since Pokemon is only a game in the RP it would be interesting for players who are used to getting flawless Pokemon by grinding/EV training actually train a living, breathing Pokemon in the game world. d: Hope that makes sense, lol.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Running through the same path of grass for about six hours, until the other people around start thinking you're insane.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Running through the same path of grass for about six hours, until the other people around start thinking you're insane.

Yup, in fact I guess I'll make a hard-core nerdy trainer to spice things up a bit. Shiny hunting and stuff, ya know? xD

Anyways, too much talk about that RP. d: So, anybody got any new ideas for any RPs? Other than Red, we all know you got a LOT of ideas :D

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
So, one thing that I noticed among many RPers on PC is that they write in past tense despite the whole "literature is alive" concept, and not that I have anything wrong with it, but is this the way that RPs work? I mean, it's not so much that I'm a noob to RPs (though in the technical sense, I am), but it's just something that's piqued my interest.

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
The majority of novels are written in past tense. People here, especially in years of lies I noticed, have written in present tense but it's quite uncomfortable to do so, I gotta say.

So it's all about which people personally prefer and a lot of people prefer past tense!

Dawn

Years
I have an idea for an RP based on Pokemon Special Adventures... It's more of a concept really, but it doesn't really matter since I can't afford to start a new RP anyway.

I also thought of a concept based on a book I once read, that I sadly cannot remember the name of. Characters would be playing ghosts of their former selves, and their bodies as ghosts would take the form of how they remembered themselves as. Under certain circumstances, they were prone to sinking through the floor and even down to the center of the earth, as if it were made of quicksand, though.

It's a shame I can't remember the title, or I'd remember more proper details.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I have an idea for an RP based on Pokemon Special Adventures... It's more of a concept really, but it doesn't really matter since I can't afford to start a new RP anyway.

I also thought of a concept based on a book I once read, that I sadly cannot remember the name of. Characters would be playing ghosts of their former selves, and their bodies as ghosts would take the form of how they remembered themselves as. Under certain circumstances, they were prone to sinking through the floor and even down to the center of the earth, as if it were made of quicksand, though.

It's a shame I can't remember the title, or I'd remember more proper details.
I say screw the rest of the details. I recommend going with what you have, it's always good to take bits and pieces of something else but create an end result that's all your own, I'm sure you (or whoever decides to run with such an idea) would make something great out of it.

The majority of novels are written in past tense. People here, especially in years of lies I noticed, have written in present tense but it's quite uncomfortable to do so, I gotta say.

So it's all about which people personally prefer and a lot of people prefer past tense!
I see, I always thought of it as a matter of preference, but it was just something that interested me.

Rokusasu

Scientist Salarian
Years
Third person past tense (I'll keep it simple, there are way too many strands of 'past' for my weary brain to remember right now) gives the impression of an omniscient narrator, which like Skymin says, is the most popular form in novels (followed by first person past, though novels like those in the Hunger Games series are first person present). I've seen a lot of the present tense in RPs too (moreso here than anywhere else), but my personal preference is 3rd/past. First person seems way too intimate for a role play, again that's just me.

Dawn

Years
First person in RPs irritates me because there is no one viewpoint. You've got at least 5-6 different writers playing a character, possibly multiple characters, and all using the term 'I'.

There should not be multiple 'first person's in a piece of writing unless that piece of writing is split up into easily identifiable sections that you know from a glance whom is the first person.

This could be accomplished in RP by labeling the parts of your post written from the perspective of X character with their name in a bold, large sized fond. However the point is third person is a lot less prone to causing confusion due to the consistent viewpoint.

When I read posts in first person that manage to confuse me I sometimes feel the desire to respond to them in second person out of sheer spite.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
The people above are correct! It is much, much more logical to use the third person view in an RP. When in first person you aren't able to describe your own character's expressions, facial features, and many other things that the other Rpers need to know about.

I hadn't even thought of that concept until just now; Once I started RPing, I had automatically (and without any thought) began writing third person, past tense. I guess I knew it would be the most comfortable (and most helpful) format for RPing.

@Marin, that sounds like an amazing RP. Maybe you should hold onto it until you reach a point where you'll have free time. Or, give it to someone you know could make it a great RP. I'd hate to see that one go to waste!

@ALL

New topic:

How often do your characters end up being in love stories? How often is it with an actual player's character, as opposed to an NPC?

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
How often do your characters end up being in love stories? How often is it with an actual player's character, as opposed to an NPC?

I will neither say yes, or no. So just in-between. At the moment, some of my characters have already fallen in love, others not yet! xD It's quite funny actually. I don't think none of my characters have fallen for an NPC before actually, mostly I try to get them with an actual player's character. Otherwise I would feel like I'm obsessed with myself! xD

All-Me & Zerin have hit a bump on the road. We're discussing about why the RPers should go after the antagonist. Here's what we got so far. The antagonist is out to obtain 4 pieces of relics. He has a kingdom & many servants to serve him. He plans to expand his land so that he may have privilages to look within dungeons & send a search party to locate a piece of the relic. When combined, the relic will need to be put into a shaped-hole deep in a dungeon, allowing those to go back in time to where they wish to go. We're slow I know. Hmm..I'm thinking now the hole should be at the top of the highest castle in the land.

Anyway, the antagonist has a goal. It's something similar to Pryce in Pokemon Adventures/Special, where he goes back in time to reunite with his 2 Laprases he lost in an avalanche. Well, here the antagonist wants to go back in time to fix a mistake he made, letting his wife die. xD Now I'm thinking it should be he lost her when they were teenagers! He'll go through any means neccesary to find the pieces, go back in time & save the love of his life.

So, any suggestions why the RPers should have a reason to stop the antagonist, not knowing his true intentions?

Sapphire Rose

Years
Zerin- i'm in alot of RP's now ever since i joined PC, and i mean really joined and not just made a account :p (my account was made in september while i begun RPing after my b-day in january),

None of my character begun a love story yet, while Sapphire Hikaru, my character in "what if" is maybe going to begin one. And my character Hikari Kaede in my own RP "PMD: Victory's Reign" is going to begin one with her partner Takumi fujiwara who is ShinyDiamond's character,

Oh! I also have another character who already is having a love story, well...only a little, and i guess you readed it yourself already, i'm talking about my character Sapphire Destiny in the RP "Maximum Ride: Power Sprint." Which is currently standing still.

So three of my many RP characters are going to begin one or have one, three is pretty often for me ^^;; since i have about 5/6 characters.

Yagerbomb

←Apple Jack
Years

I will neither say yes, or no. So just in-between. At the moment, some of my characters have already fallen in love, others not yet! xD It's quite funny actually. I don't think none of my characters have fallen for an NPC before actually, mostly I try to get them with an actual player's character. Otherwise I would feel like I'm obsessed with myself! xD

All-Me & Zerin have hit a bump on the road. We're discussing about why the RPers should go after the antagonist. Here's what we got so far. The antagonist is out to obtain 4 pieces of relics. He has a kingdom & many servants to serve him. He plans to expand his land so that he may have privilages to look within dungeons & send a search party to locate a piece of the relic. When combined, the relic will need to be put into a shaped-hole deep in a dungeon, allowing those to go back in time to where they wish to go. We're slow I know. Hmm..I'm thinking now the hole should be at the top of the highest castle in the land.

Anyway, the antagonist has a goal. It's something similar to Pryce in Pokemon Adventures/Special, where he goes back in time to reunite with his 2 Laprases he lost in an avalanche. Well, here the antagonist wants to go back in time to fix a mistake he made, letting his wife die. xD Now I'm thinking it should be he lost her when they were teenagers! He'll go through any means neccesary to find the pieces, go back in time & save the love of his life.

So, any suggestions why the RPers should have a reason to stop the antagonist, not knowing his true intentions?

( Here is the long, philosophical version)Well, while thinking for ideas to help you on your quandry, I thought, why would I want to find ancient relics? My reasoning would be to get them in order to sell them for profit. Then, my thought wave grew. Make it so that the RPers all have different motives for going after the relics, which in turn involves the characters interacting with the antagonist. Just a suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back