• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Names of Pokemon?

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Edit: It seems lots of people aren't liking my thoughts, with name changing so I'll change it from 'Do you think' to 'Do you want'

Do you want the names to be changed?

Chespin, Fennekin and Froakie.

Fennekin's name does not seem right to me.
I like it's german, Fynx, and prefer it.

Also, the legendaries, Xerneas and Yveltal, Do you like these names? Or are they a bit, off to you?

Last edited:

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
There's no doubt there's always a possibility. After all, the developers have a good 9-10 months to make adjustments and changes.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I don't think so. For them to be officially announced in the way they did I don't see them changing, especially since they listed the names for each country.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
I don't think so. For them to be officially announced in the way they did I don't see them changing, especially since they listed the names for each country.

Like I said, they could be translated from Japanese into each language, like Generation 5 had.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
It's kind of weird; since I believe this is the first pokemon game being released world wide a the same month, so it's a little weird how we're learning the English names already... but yeah, there's possibilities of change, but, it's still liable to stay as it is.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I think those starter names are final tbh. I mean, they're in the official announcement and such, with their official names in other languages as well. So even though they could change it, I think it's likely that these are final.

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
Years
It's definitely too late for changes now. The closest we had was the R/B beta English names, which weren't revealed until after R/B proper were released.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 16, 2012
pokemon x pokemon y

They may change the names but if they do it may be fun to learn new pokemon names right

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
They did an international, multi-language release. We have the English names already, and I don't see them changing unless Game Freak finds out they allude to some horrible act or an obscure racial slur or something.

I certainly hope they don't go the Gen 5 route when it comes to handing out names.
Step One, randomly type something: grbrdr.
Step Two, add some vowels and capitalize: Garbordor.
Step Three, determine if that name applies to a Pokemon: Oh, the Poison Garbage one!
Step Four, laugh maniacally.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Um, no. That's not going to happen lol.

They already announced the names with their localizations in the trailer. Or were you not paying attention?

blue

gucci
Years
As far as I'm aware, those names are here to stay.

Fennekin is a crossover of Fennec and Kindle
Froakie is a crossover of Frog and Croak
Chespin is a crossover of Chesnut and Pin

To me, they're fine.

Years
They won't change. I'm kind of sad we're getting the English version names at the same time and don't get the chance to speculate on what the names might be.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Um, no. That's not going to happen lol.

They already announced the names with their localizations in the trailer. Or were you not paying attention?

Like I said, they could be translated from Japanese into each language, like Generation 5 had.

Were you not paying attention to what I said.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I really really doubt they would make an official announcement like they just did and then change the names before October. These are the kind of things you prepare and think about carefully in advance. They risk confusing people if they go back on an official worldwide announcement.

dragonnathan025

Pokemon Breeder
Years
This is going to be the first generation since the third where the Fire starter will be the most popular, I believe. It doesn't look like someone just sketched something random in the dirt and went, hey, look, a Pokemon! It looks like a smidgen of thought went into it.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
This is going to be the first generation since the third where the Fire starter will be the most popular, I believe. It doesn't look like someone just sketched something random in the dirt and went, hey, look, a Pokemon! It looks like a smidgen of thought went into it.

I never said only a smidgen of thought went into the Pokémon.

Years
While I'm not really a fan of the names they were given, I don't see them making any changes to them at all. If we had only been given the Japanese names for the Pokemon, then I would have expected some changes, but with all of the localized names included, I think the names we're seeing are final.

Back