• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pokémon Essentials, version 10 - 22nd October 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
You're using a knock-off version of pokemon.txt which doesn't have the proper values defined in it. I know there's a newer version of that knock-off, so use that if you must have your Gen 5 Pokémon.

oldsnake90

Creator Pokemon Glacial Freeze
Years
ok i cant seem to find the newer version of it

I swiched the knock-off for the Pokemon Essentials pokemon.txt and its still doing it.

Last edited:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Why did you chose the Black Kyurem as form 1 rather that form 2? Did you use as form name as sort factor rather than Reshiram/Zekrom Pokédex number?

Maruno

Years
ok i cant seem to find the newer version of it

I swiched the knock-off for the Pokemon Essentials pokemon.txt and its still doing it.
Make sure you've recompiled the data - run the game from within RMXP. If that doesn't work, start again.

Why did you chose the Black Kyurem as form 1 rather that form 2? Did you use as form name as sort factor rather than Reshiram/Zekrom Pokédex number?
No real reason. Bulbapedia shows the Black Kyurem form first. It doesn't make any difference at all.

You might as well ask why form 0 Shellos is the pink one. No reason.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
No real reason. Bulbapedia shows the Black Kyurem form first. It doesn't make any difference at all.

You might as well ask why form 0 Shellos is the pink one. No reason.
So why you didn't follow bulbapedia on Genesect forms?

If I'm not wrong, bulbapedia use the form index number, and Arceus/Genesect don't have a form index number.

I'm talking about this because I need to know when I'm making add-ons.

Maruno

Years
Arceus is in the order that types are defined in types.txt.

Genesect does follow Bulbapedia like Kyurem does.

EDIT: Once again I've had to post this and then edit it just so I can attach a file. I swear that's a bug with the forum.

Anyway, I've attached a pokemon.txt file containing only the Gen 5 Pokémon. All the information is complete and accurate, except for the battler sprite heights - they're the only things you need to edit.

I've also attached a Gen 5-compatible version of tm.txt. It's identical to the one currently in Essentials, except it also has the Gen 5 Pokémon in it.

Hopefully that helps.

Last edited:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Arceus is in the order that types are defined in types.txt.

Genesect does follow Bulbapedia like Kyurem does.

EDIT: Once again I've had to post this and then edit it just so I can attach a file. I swear that's a bug with the forum.

Anyway, I've attached a pokemon.txt file containing only the Gen 5 Pokémon. All the information is complete and accurate, except for the battler sprite heights - they're the only things you need to edit.

I've also attached a Gen 5-compatible version of tm.txt. It's identical to the one currently in Essentials, except it also has the Gen 5 Pokémon in it.

Hopefully that helps.
The TM/HM file isn't the same that I send you?

How/Why you made the pokemon G5.txt if there are already some?

EDIT: I can attach files clicking on attach icon:
attach.gif

Last edited:

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
As easter eggs were mentioned earlier, you might be interested to know that there are two related to the fossil reviver. What are they?

My first guess is the two Gen V Pokémon that are revivable.

Second thing I notice is this textbox:
"\bHowever, what I brought back didn't live long...\1
fortunately."

Thought that only seems to happen if he's reviving an invalid choice, looking at the code.

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
Thank you so much. You have just made it possible for me to make my own game the way i want with the new tilesets. I cannot say thank you enough. thank you so much.

One question, do we have permission to use your maps in our games?

Maruno

Years
The TM/HM file isn't the same that I send you?

How/Why you made the pokemon G5.txt if there are already some?
It wasn't difficult to knock up a new version of tm.txt. At least one version I'd seen had a few errors, so I thought I'd just get the information directly from the Interweb to be sure it was correct. As for pokemon.txt, I've had that for a while, and I adapted it from another existing version (it may have been yours, I don't remember) to remove any errors.

My first guess is the two Gen V Pokémon that are revivable.

Second thing I notice is this textbox:
"\bHowever, what I brought back didn't live long...\1
fortunately."

Thought that only seems to happen if he's reviving an invalid choice, looking at the code.
The inclusion of the Gen 5 Pokémon is just to make it future-proof. It wasn't an Easter egg.

The failure message is one, though. Ordinarily you'd never see it (actually, you can if you give a Gen 5 fossil without having Gen 5 Pokémon defined in pokemon.txt), but it's there for completeness. The message is a reference to Star Trek The Motion Picture, where a similar line is said of a crewman who suffered from a transporter malfunction.

The other Easter egg is the sign outside the lab. What's the reference there?

Thank you so much. You have just made it possible for me to make my own game the way i want with the new tilesets. I cannot say thank you enough. thank you so much.

One question, do we have permission to use your maps in our games?
You can if you like. I made all the maps myself (obviously some are inspired by the official games), so credit is appreciated.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
It wasn't difficult to knock up a new version of tm.txt. At least one version I'd seen had a few errors, so I thought I'd just get the information directly from the Interweb to be sure it was correct. As for pokemon.txt, I've had that for a while, and I adapted it from another existing version (it may have been yours, I don't remember) to remove any errors.
How do you make the tm.txt? I noticed also that you put the B2W2 moves on pokemon.txt, how you do it?

I'm talking about it because I want to help you to find easier/faster ways for ripping pokémon data/resources, like using sprite resource for rips.

Maruno

Years
First I found a list of all the moves I wanted to add, and then went to each move's page on Bulbapedia. I copied the table of Pokémon which learn the move by TM/HM/tutor into Notepad, imported it into Excel and copied the Pokémon column back into Notepad. From there I copied it into Word where I made everything upper-case (Shift+F3), replaced all the line breaks with commas, and copied the result into tm.txt.

It does seem a bit of a chore, but it's fairly mindless so I could listen to the radio at the same time.

As for updating pokemon.txt, I looked through each species on PokemonDB quite quickly to find any species which had a separate movelist for B2W2 (this was easier than looking at Bulbapedia), and just updated them manually.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
First I found a list of all the moves I wanted to add, and then went to each move's page on Bulbapedia. I copied the table of Pokémon which learn the move by TM/HM/tutor into Notepad, imported it into Excel and copied the Pokémon column back into Notepad. From there I copied it into Word where I made everything upper-case (Shift+F3), replaced all the line breaks with commas, and copied the result into tm.txt.

It does seem a bit of a chore, but it's fairly mindless so I could listen to the radio at the same time.

As for updating pokemon.txt, I looked through each species on PokemonDB quite quickly to find any species which had a separate movelist for B2W2 (this was easier than looking at Bulbapedia), and just updated them manually.
This is VERY similar to my method, some parts are even identicals.

I has thought that you use also an IO function to merge data when the game compiles.

I didn't noticed that B2W2 have a low number of species with different movelist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back