• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tile Insertion For AdvanceMap For Dummies

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
Is there any limit to the amount of tiles that can be added / palettes that can be used? I know by default, there's only so much room in the tileset and there also appears to be a limit in the number of palettes. I could see this becoming a problem if someone wanted to add a lot of custom tiles.

depending on which rom base you use, you can only use up to 12 palettes per tileset (which includes the main tileset you will use which is Tileset 0). So in reality, for example in EM, you only have palettes 6-12 I believe to manipulate every new tileset you make. So you have to make them work but thats not hard. I usually group gray/dark/white tiles together, blue tiles together, etc... It isn't really a problem but yes you are restricted to the amount of tiles per tileset.

I think I did, let me try again. I'll see if it works. I'll come back and edit this post.

Edit: I tried, it still changed it. Do you think I can just edit the converted picture in paint? Or would that mess it up?

So the background color really doesnt matter too much. Save the palette and go into advancemap. Insert the palette and if the bg color is still the gray color, just figure out what the rgb values are for the green bg color or whatever you used and change the offsets of the bg color for that palette to match that of your image and save the palette info in amap then save tileset 2 and open your tileset image in mspaint and drag n drop and it should work

Mystelex

depending on which rom base you use, you can only use up to 12 palettes per tileset (which includes the main tileset you will use which is Tileset 0). So in reality, for example in EM, you only have palettes 6-12 I believe to manipulate every new tileset you make. So you have to make them work but thats not hard. I usually group gray/dark/white tiles together, blue tiles together, etc... It isn't really a problem but yes you are restricted to the amount of tiles per tileset.

So the background color really doesnt matter too much. Save the palette and go into advancemap. Insert the palette and if the bg color is still the gray color, just figure out what the rgb values are for the green bg color or whatever you used and change the offsets of the bg color for that palette to match that of your image and save the palette info in amap then save tileset 2 and open your tileset image in mspaint and drag n drop and it should work

Will you please help me with the tilemap editing ? I really need a tilemap editor ! Please !!!

pikachux2

Never Evolve
Years
After instering 6 palletes worth of tiles and creating two maps with the tiles, I came across a problem. I was editing a map with tileset 0 2 and my tiles weren't there. I realized I accidentally was editing tileset 1 instead of 0. All the tiles I added were common grounds like grass, trees, water. Now I need tileset 1 in all my maps to get my default tilesets, which is a problem because tile set 0 has to be in any map made... I don't know how tiles work too much besides the insertion and palette parts, I was wondering what the best way to continue with my hack would be (besides restarting). I am willing to re-add all my tiles to tileset 0, but I am worried about overwriting other tiles or any problems that could occur. If someone could explain to me any way to transfer tiles, or maps, or anyway of solving this, that would be great. Thanks.

Years
How can I get the Tileset of all the outside areas of the game altogether (Tilesets 0-57)?
Also, I noticed Palette 8 is used for the Mt. Ember area. If I use any of the 12 palettes, I'll be screwing another part of the game, I'm quite sure of it.
Can I make a new palette for what I need? If not, which is the most probable, how can I know what palettes are used for each thing, and what I'll be screwing for using that particular palette?

Last edited:

Jcool

Stellar
Years
How can I get the Tileset of all the outside areas of the game altogether (Tilesets 0-57)?
Also, I noticed Palette 8 is used for the Mt. Ember area. If I use any of the 12 palettes, I'll be screwing another part of the game, I'm quite sure of it.
Can I make a new palette for what I need? If not, which is the most probable, how can I know what palettes are used for each thing, and what I'll be screwing for using that particular palette?

I might be misinterpreting your question, and I might even be wrong, but from my experience with AdvancedMap, every tileset gets 6 palettes. If you switch the tileset that contains the Mt. Ember tiles and go look at Palette 8 again, are the colors still the same? Hope this helped

Years
I might be misinterpreting your question, and I might even be wrong, but from my experience with AdvancedMap, every tileset gets 6 palettes. If you switch the tileset that contains the Mt. Ember tiles and go look at Palette 8 again, are the colors still the same? Hope this helped

Don't know, I believe they wouldn't change, as I would be just changing the tiles.
I asked this 'cause there are like 5 rock types for each rock (normal brown, gray, red, white, blue, etc)
I want to make tiles for Rock Climb, but I need to know how many I'll need, or I just do it once and just change palettes for each cave or mountain I put it.
Also, I want very much to port Emerald's (or Ruby's/Saphire's) volcano and desert tilesets (with animated tiles too). That would save me a LOT of time!
How can I do that? Or will I really need to work the whole tileset, tile by tile?

Years
  • Age 64
  • Seen Sep 21, 2016
Okay, I don't know if this thread is still accepting questions, but I have one about adding in new tiles. Whenever I try to change one tile to a custom one and put my picture in either of the two boxes on the AdvanceMap editor, the length of the tiles on the left bar increases and leaves a ton of black space. When the game is played everything on the map is completely out of whack. Does anyone know the cause of this?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Whenever I load my new tileset it loads fine but all of the new tiles I added just show up as solid colors. Anyone know why?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 5, 2021
Hi, I've got a problem with my hack rom! I've changed some tiles and on AM the map looks like this:
Spoiler:

However when I'm playing that's how it is!
Spoiler:

Could you help me, please?

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
Hi, I've got a problem with my hack rom! I've changed some tiles and on AM the map looks like this:
Spoiler:

However when I'm playing that's how it is!
Spoiler:

Could you help me, please?

verify the palette was saved and if that doesn't work, make sure that blocks have the correct behavior and background bytes

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 5, 2021
Well it should be ok actually, I changed palette 12 (which were all black) to the colours I need, I put the new tileset in empty space in tileset2 and then I overwrite the old rock tiles with the new one, so those values are the same... And still it didn't work!

socko

[i]VERY ANGER!!![/i]
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 18, 2020
Not sure if this has been asked before, but what happens when you use up all the palettes?

Squeetz

ROM Hacker
Years
Well it should be ok actually, I changed palette 12 (which were all black) to the colours I need, I put the new tileset in empty space in tileset2 and then I overwrite the old rock tiles with the new one, so those values are the same... And still it didn't work!
I had this issue when I used to hack Ruby as well, so I searched around a little bit.
colcolstyles said:
When the game triggers the SWI that copies over the palette from the ROM to the RAM, it only copies six palettes (6-11). The palette that occupies the 12th palette slot is actually the palette used for the "Ruby Version" text on the titlescreen. Oddly enough, it never gets overwritten. So all you have to do is change the parameter for the SWI call so that it copies over '0x70' halfwords instead of '0x60'. In order to do that, you should change the byte at '0x056d62' from '0xc0' to '0xe0'. Isn't it funny how a single bit can affect the game so drastically?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Hi, is there any way to insert an entire tileset at one go, instead of adding it tile by tile? Basically, I want to completely replace the ROM's tileset with my own. Thanks in advance!

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Hi, is there any way to insert an entire tileset at one go, instead of adding it tile by tile? Basically, I want to completely replace the ROM's tileset with my own. Thanks in advance!

Nope, not really. You can insert all tiles that use the same palette one one go but that's the most, without and crazy planning.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 23, 2020
I'M HAVING AN ISSUE...So, I've been trying to replace all of fire reds tiles with my own to completely have a new game. The problem lays with the animated tiles. When I add something like water, or a cave entrance, or even my flower for example...You can still see the animated tiles in game and it looks all glitchy. I've changed all the behavior bites to 0 and still is not working.

So I was wondering if it's possible to just get rid of the animations entirely. Because I'm not really going to need them anyways. Or if anyone just generally knows my problem and knows how to fix it, that would be nice too!

Back