• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomic Reactor

yeah, doing connections is a lot easier. as far as i kno they're shouldnt be a limit to how many maps connect.

Jirbytaylor

is too lazy to make a new ava
Years
I've noticed that "What will [active] do?" is actually more to the left than other battle messages. Where is the x position of the window containing this text?

Also, where does the day/night system access the system time? I want to set this to a variable so I can freely control time of day via events/progression in story.

Lastly how can I check the player's gender to create different dialogues? Specifically for referencing the player as he/she/boy/girl...

Once you get your head around it thing get easier. :D I'm loving this kit even more now!
Now I just got to keep motivated. ^^;

Years
I've noticed that "What will [active] do?" is actually more to the left than other battle messages. Where is the x position of the window containing this text?

Also, where does the day/night system access the system time? I want to set this to a variable so I can freely control time of day via events/progression in story.

Lastly how can I check the player's gender to create different dialogues? Specifically for referencing the player as he/she/boy/girl...

Once you get your head around it thing get easier. :D I'm loving this kit even more now!

At the beginning of the game, there is a pbChangePlayer(id) where the id is equal to 0 if the hero is a boy and 1 if it is a girl. U can do different messages for both sexes by using $PokemonGlobal.playerID.

For example :

Condition : if script : $PokemonGlobal.playerID==0
Boy Message: I would like a male nidoran.
else
Girl Message : I would like a female nidoran.
end

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 24, 2011
Are there any advantages to using Map Connecting over creating a copy of part of a map and using normal player transfer to make the maps seem connected?
I'd assume there'd be more lag with Map Connecting than the other method, especially once you have many overworld areas.

Also has anyone else noticed (or believe to have noticed) that when adding Town Map locations, some of them disappear? Is there a limit to map points?

map connections are bette, and, you don't have to worry about the corner of the map, because now you can have the player move to more then just 2 map this way. :D

Yes I do, I tried it just now and no lag. :o Just will have to wait until I have like 7 maps linked up to see if it begins to lag I guess.

don't worry, there wont be, the system only uses the events on the map that you are on, the others arn't even being read, so they don't cause lag :3

when the player set their gender at the beginning (in the intro) set a condition switch to on (like if they are male, then no switch is turned on, but if they are female then switch 37:female is on. that's what i did)

Last edited:
Years
when the player set their gender at the beginning (in the intro) set a condition switch to on (like if they are male, then no switch is turned on, but if they are female then switch 37:female is on. that's what i did)

Personnaly, I prefer when we dont have to set a switch, that's why i gave the $PokemonGlobal.playerID thing ;).

Jirbytaylor

Years
Thanks, it works. ^^

Ah that reminds me. There appear to be 4 possible Players according to the metadata. It's obvious the first are boy and girl, but is the third necessarily the rival? What about the fourth?
If I use yaoimutt's switch suggestion, could I use the next two Player entries as alternate outfits? As I said above, must the third be rival or not?

Atomic Reactor

the 4 trainer id things can be anything. you can make it so you have a choice of 4 guys.
it's anything you want

Jirbytaylor

Years
Ah, cool.

My post: "Also has anyone else noticed (or believe to have noticed) that when adding Town Map locations, some of them disappear? Is there a limit to map points?"

The problem here was that I need to Compile Data after making the changes. ^^;

Now that that is out of the way... back to tedious spriting. D:

BTW: There was minor lag in one of my maps that was connected to three others, but I think it was more to do with it's length rather than the connection.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 24, 2011
How do you force a player to get on to the bike and also how do you force them to get off the bike? would i use the Kernel.pbCancelVehicles to get them off the bike?

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2008
Hey guys, there's a proble in the editor:

Exception: NoMethodError
SpriteWindow:17:in `pbGetDecisionSE'
SpriteWindow:1477:in `update'
SpriteWindow:1665:in `update'
SpriteWindow:2408:in `update'
EditorMain:28:in `pbEditorMenu'
EditorMain:27:in `loop'
EditorMain:39:in `pbEditorMenu'
EditorMain:26:in `loop'
EditorMain:94:in `pbEditorMenu'
EditorMain:101

Jirbytaylor

Years
How can I change the text/shadow colour in the scripts? I know it's easy enough with the stats and messages in PokeBattle_ActualScene because the RGB variables are specified there... but what about the Pokedex? Some the colour is not specified nor does it indicate anything like "normal_color" as with RMXP's default systems.
issueqf4.jpg

As you can see some of the text is hard to read. This is why I want to change the colour. (I also want to do the same to the control specifications in the main part of the dex, I suspect it's using the same "text cloning" method used for most text...)

I'm also still awaiting an answer to my time/system clock question. :>

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2015
For all message boxes and command windows in the game system (which derive from Window_SimpleTextPokemon and Window_CommandPokemon), the text uses two colors: the base color and the shadow color). Examples of setting these colors:

Code:
window.baseColor=Color.new(96,96,96)
window.shadowColor=Color.new(192,192,192)

I don't know exactly what you mean by "text cloning", though.

Also, the game system uses the function pbSetDayNightTone (in PokemonUtilities) to set the screen's time of day. Specifically, it uses the hour and minute to calculate the appropriate color tone.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2008
And guys, there's another problem when any body wants to fight the player...

Exception: RuntimeError
Section067:352:in `initialize'Party 1 has no Pokemon.
Section019:238:in `pbExecuteScript'
Section089:414:in `new'
Section089:414:in `pbTrainerBattle'
(eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'
Section019:753:in `eval'
Section019:238:in `pbExecuteScript'
Section019:753:in `command_111'
Section019:292:in `execute_command'
Section019:190:in `update'
Section019:104:in `loop'

Interpreter:249:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:753:in `command_111'
Interpreter:292:in `execute_command'
Interpreter:190:in `update'
Interpreter:104:in `loop'
Interpreter:195:in `update'
Scene_Map:99:in `update'
Scene_Map:97:in `loop'
Scene_Map:110:in `update'
Scene_Map:66:in `main'

Jirbytaylor

Years
I don't know exactly what you mean by "text cloning", though.

For the "controls box" in the Pokedex screen, this line is used:
Code:
@sprites["infowindow"].text=_ISPRINTF("\bSEEN: {1:d}\r\nOWN: {2:d}\r\nZ: MENU\r\nF5: SEARCH",$Trainer.pokedexSeen,$Trainer.pokedexOwned)

I searched for "_ISPRINTF" to try and figure out how to change the colours, and I found this:
Code:
def _ISPRINTF(*arg)
 string=MessageTypes.getFromMapHash(0,arg[0])
 string=string.clone
 for i in 1...arg.length
  string.gsub!(/\{#{i}\:([^\}]+?)\}/){|m|
   next sprintf("%"+$1,arg[i])
  }
 end
 return string
end

I understood this as cloning the text and displaying the clone slightly off, to generate a shadow.

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2015
Actually, that has a totally different purpose. The _ISPRINTF function is designed to replace the text given in the code with a localized (translated) version of the text. It also replaces the placeholders "{1}", "{2}", and so on, with variables given as extra parameters to that function.

To learn how to apply text colors, see my previous post.

Hall Of Famer

Born as Hall of Famer
Years
I have a request for the starterkit maker. I checked the moves from Pokemon D/P in Bulbapedia and they're really good. I don't know whether it's possible for you to add the new moves from Pokemon D/P to PBS system. Anyway, I'd appreciate it very much if you do add those moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back