• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: POKEMON: Dark Rising

Years
LOL I am currently at IceLand city and I should check out those three NPC's right away. Also the moves descriptions removed. Sweet !!! :D

Fewer things I found:

There is a Big Pearl inside Kyurem's Den whicj keeps reapawning everytime I try to leave from there. Sorry I deleted its image so I cannot show you.

The outside entrance of Kyurem's Den through Iceland city has familiar description. (You know from where)
91ezqw.jpg

I can move through this tile of tree
2v0ycqw.jpg

The NPC inside the Iceland Mart also has familiar dialogue.
352hzeg.jpg

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
LOL I am currently at IceLand city and I should check out those three NPC's right away. Also the moves descriptions removed. Sweet !!! :D

Fewer things I found:

There is a Big Pearl inside Kyurem's Den whicj keeps reapawning everytime I try to leave from there. Sorry I deleted its image so I cannot show you.

The outside entrance of Kyurem's Den through Iceland city has familiar description. (You know from where)
91ezqw.jpg

I can move through this tile of tree
2v0ycqw.jpg

The NPC inside the Iceland Mart also has familiar dialogue.
352hzeg.jpg

Thanks for letting me know, I'll fix those right away.

Years
Hey I missed asking you about Elektrik. Its now on Lv 60 and still has not evolved. Do I need to use Thunder Stone on it like originally because I never saw you mention in evolution list.?

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Hey I missed asking you about Elektrik. Its now on Lv 60 and still has not evolved. Do I need to use Thunder Stone on it like originally because I never saw you mention in evolution list.?

Yeah, a Thunderstone is needed. Going to update that as well. When you reach the Dark Rising HQ, there's a mart guy in the pokecenter who sells mushrooms and outside of it is a house that the move tutor is in. Make sure to have Elektross re-learn a few moves you missed out on. Only notable one is Flamethrower. You should already have Thunderbolt & you'll receive Surf later.

Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2013
I've been showing my friends screenshots of this game and I think they're tired of being tormented by them, so I'm going to post a few here.

1D22T.png

I'm sure this has been pointed out before, but Pikachu is missing its head.

S4AMs.png
7N2Ta.png

I'm guessing English isn't your first language, so you should probably get someone to look over your work- it's very painful to read as it constantly capitalizes arbitrary words that have no reason to be capitalized.

tglyX.png

This has also probably been pointed out, but stepping adjacent to this door makes the game lock up.

SgQy6.png

Roofs are not meant for stepping on like that. Also, in this context the word crush should not be capitalized.

dLzp4.png

There's a tile error here. Not too hard to find seeing as it's in the starting town.

PhAaW.png

However nice these grass tiles may look normally, they look *very bad* when the player is walking through them.

DMtOa.png

Considering that this battle comes with no warning in the first area before you have Pokeballs, it should probably be toned down- that damage was from a single Weather Ball at full HP.

m1wwn.png

I got lucky with the RNG so this battle wasn't as difficult but I still think it's rather silly to demand the player to defeat level 12s with Intimidate before getting Pokeballs, to say nothing of the fact that you gave the Axew line Intimidate...

N4c4y.png
lM7Sd.png

This is about as nonsensical as it gets for an area transition. Who sets up shop in a cave?

Ae2oi.png
HXiVJ.png
mIgvb.png

Every part of this encounter is soul-crushingly awful- the protagonist being railroaded into being an idiot with badly written dialogue is one thing, but then having a tutorial advise the player to use "strategy" in the face of a railroaded level 50 battle is insulting. Up to this point there have been zero opportunities to use any strategy whatsoever, as the player is not able to catch any other Pokemon, acquire any renewable items, or use moves other than Sand-Attack, Tackle, and Bite. The fact that the protagonist is both the tall opposite of silent and an idiot does not help.

xRzYZ.png
GIO65.png

I really don't have much motivation to play beyond this point, other than to continue poking holes in it- the writing is painful to read, the maps are a mess, and the game itself looks to be an poorly balanced and actively hostile grind.

Some of the things you pointed out are quite valid, such as the game locking up when walking next to the door, i noticed that myself, but that actually only happens that first time, after you exit and re-enter, it won't happen again. The tile issues for the grass and roof are also constructive, but the complaints about pikachu's head partially missing, the underground mart and capitalization on the wrong words come across as petty and whiny. you seem to be nitpicking at that point. The complaints about the difficulty are understandable I guess, but you should read the first post and know what you're getting into, this is a tough hack and was designed that way. the difficult opposition like intimidating axew and ms. weatherbell and her weatherballin' roselia are meant to encourage you to grind sooner so you don't pay for it later. if grinding isn't for you, this hack probably isn't for you (and neither is competive battling with pokemon, or black and white 2 on challenge mode). as for the "railroaded battle" its meant as a plot point, how many times do you see the protagonists in tv shows and mangas get over confident and lose, resulting in a major crisis in confidence and then them training and becoming stronger than ever?

Years
Yeah, a Thunderstone is needed. Going to update that as well. When you reach the Dark Rising HQ, there's a mart guy in the pokecenter who sells mushrooms and outside of it is a house that the move tutor is in. Make sure to have Elektross re-learn a few moves you missed out on. Only notable one is Flamethrower. You should already have Thunderbolt & you'll receive Surf later.
Thanks for all the Info. But to be honest I will never have Flamethrower taught to it. You know as I already have a Fire Poke. For SURF then yay !!!!

Years
  • Seen Sep 28, 2014
I don't know if it is a known bug:i caught a shiny shellos (West Sea) but he haven't a sprite,i mean,there is only a "grey silhouette" of him

Years
Hey DrG I am battling kayo right now in Underground city but My Gallade is not picking up any experience after all. it is locked in Lv 60. I defeated three of his pokes with it but same thing always happens. Take a Look please..
15g3tw.jpg
and then this happens
2cpx8ph.jpg
:(

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
@ToolongtowritePlay: Pikachu's missing head is pretty much in every Fire Red hack that either uses ROM base or hex edit the intro. It's pretty common bug that noone minds.
@alienhunter: Flamethrower for Eel is just for diversity in moves ;)

Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2019
hey DRG well um first of all thanks for this hack its sooooo good :D best ive ever played ^_^ goodluck on finishing the trilogy :) umm it took me 95 hours to finish the game and unfortunately i saved the game on all the save slots on the end part thing and i cant play anymore i mean like you know those other versions where you can continue after defeating the champ? in this one its just restarting and playing all over again, is there any chance you could put that continue bit? i'd love to mock around the places with my pokemon haha thanks DRG! :)

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Hey DrG I am battling kayo right now in Underground city but My Gallade is not picking up any experience after all. it is locked in Lv 60. I defeated three of his pokes with it but same thing always happens. Take a Look please..
15g3tw.jpg
and then this happens
2cpx8ph.jpg
:(

Now THAT is very weird...Do you have any rare candies? See what happens when you give it one. I'll look into this right away. That's a very odd error, never saw this one before. Try re-patching it with the latest ips to a new clean fire red rom. If that still doesn't work, try to level him up in a random wild battle. I want to see if it's Kayo's Pokemon that's causing the issue or is in Gallade in general for some odd reason.

Years
Well it did evolved into Lv 61 when I used Rare Candy on it but for further checking I went to train it at Blizzard Route but after getting exp. a little bit from a wild Cubchoo, the game frozes.

Another thing I just experienced is that NPC guy selling Lucky eggs.. Yay they are available at last but just like those Big Pearl inside the Kyurem's Den, they keep on re spawning and I quickly picked 7 of them to train my team before telling you. :P
33u8lcw.jpg

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Well it did evolved into Lv 61 when I used Rare Candy on it but for further checking I went to train it at Blizzard Route but after getting exp. a little bit from a wild Cubchoo, the game frozes.

Another thing I just experienced is that NPC guy selling Lucky eggs.. Yay they are available at last but just like those Big Pearl inside the Kyurem's Den, they keep on re spawning and I quickly picked 7 of them to train my team before telling you. :P
33u8lcw.jpg

That's very very strange. But yea, the lucky eggs are meant to respond to have an unlimited amount of Lucky Eggs. I did this so everyone can have an extra boost of exp for all of their Pokemon since a lot of people are having trouble leveling up their Pokemon. But back to the Gallade, so now that it's Lv61, if you use it in a battle, will it freeze again or is it working normally now? I even asked Tajaros about this and he has no clue either. Anyone reading this know about a bug that prevents a Pokemon from leveling up? If so, please explain it and how to fix it if you know how. Thank You.

Years
That's very very strange. But yea, the lucky eggs are meant to respond to have an unlimited amount of Lucky Eggs. I did this so everyone can have an extra boost of exp for all of their Pokemon since a lot of people are having trouble leveling up their Pokemon. But back to the Gallade, so now that it's Lv61, if you use it in a battle, will it freeze again or is it working normally now? I even asked Tajaros about this and he has no clue either. Anyone reading this know about a bug that prevents a Pokemon from leveling up? If so, please explain it and how to fix it if you know how. Thank You.
As a matter of fact it starts getting experience normally and the game does not freezes any more. That i strange for me as well as you. That all happened itself. I am sorry if I made you in a fuss.

loonie23

Pokemaniac™
Years
hey i just finish the 8th gym leader what do i do next? Leader said that i should go to another region and theres a bug after you done some event it will start again i wish theres a bug fixed .

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2021
Just wanted to jump in for a second a speak to the Tornadus battle specifically, as I'm one of the people that Doesnt has been discussing things with. While it is common for protagonists in TV or movies to become over confident and put themselves into tricky spots, this is a stark contrast to how games with silent protagonists generally play out, as is usually the case with Pokemon. By remaining silent, the game allows you as the player to act through the protagonist and feel more personally connected to him or her. Choosing to script the protagonist's actions takes control away from the player and turns him or her into merely an observer and disconnects them from the game. While you're obviously free to make the game however you choose, forcing the player into a passive role is generally not a great idea. Since I as the player know that my low teen starter can't take on legendary Pokemon, it severely breaks my immersion when I'm forced to engage one as it creates a marked difference between myself and the character that I'm role playing. Like I said, feel free to leave things exactly the way they are, just wanted to clarify exactly why it was brought up from a game design perspective.

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
Me wants to throw some comment here ^_^

1. First off good job on this hack, and for completing it!
I gotta say that im really liking this hack, even though there are some things i don't like(which don't make this hack bad, just because i dont like some things), the storyline got me since the beginning and i really liked that the charakter talked in there too, i remember there being a thread with that question if the hero should talk or not, i always was for that the hero should, until later in the hack when it got boring for me(probably the use of "let's just do this"), and im now at the point where ur at Dark rising HQ and beating police officers, but the lving is at last pretty good now, not like the beginning when i was at 2nd badge and had to fight lv 30+ with a team of 6 lv 20-23(tried to balance the lvs).

As for the storyline i thought its pretty good, it was even able to make me not think about graphical errors and stuff in it, at the point I'am now, it got kind off not so funny as at the beginning but its okay.

2. I saw that at the mapping there were alot of errors, but mostly on the map connection, but i didn't really mind since im still playing this since a week(some other hacks made me quit right away and not play it anymore). But tbh it got me alot more to like to play this then i liked to play LP, i was kind off dissappointed when i saw that atif mapped, since i know he can map alot better :<
but even though the saddest part for me was that i always got the feeling like im playing Fr edited maps, which was bad, but eh don't mind me.
And those 1tile paths are giving me some pain in the butt :S

3. sprites, well the sprited werent always good resized or inserted, Overworlds had lile 3 style clashes etc, and tynamo for me has a red dot which always is on another part of it when i encounter one, but nothing not fixable

4. The scripts were pretty good, idk if it is supposed to or if it is just for me but when i beat a legendary pokemon, its Ow is still there and i can rebattle it, some events reapeared for me if i got beaten after doing one event, like: beating Prof. ivan that u meet in a cave (Is bad with names), and after him i think u had to battle Zachery if im not wrong, i lost against zachery, and had to refight Prof. Ivan when i got outta the cave again, happened for Light me thinks too.

But still this game is really my likings, its not too hard nor too easy, like LP was were i just dashed through it with 3 pokemon that were lv100 at the end with no grinding at all.
Im definately going to play this to the end (whichever it is), and im really awaiting some good fight against DARUGIS, i hope i dont get dissappointed, and i hope that daddy dont die, or hero gonna cry :<
Again this hack isnt bad its good for me, its the first hack that made me play longer on it then 5 days (yus completed LP in 5...if i think mightve been less), and i would definately play it again :>

And all this is nothing bad really, i dont want to make this hack any disliked by others or anything, just putting my thoughts in here, this hack is really worth playing, eveyone should try it out, but not on PC emulators, games on PC's are boring, im playing it on my android and loving it.

Good job with this DRG, and if im not wrong ur working on DR2, i hope its better then DR1, and it has another cool storyline ^_^

If u have any question or anything, feel free to ask me, i dont mind:>, i hope u didnt got offended by any word i said, it wasnt my intentions.

Regards Anbuja~

Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2013
After I used the patched I can't no more load my save files
What do I do?

Where does this patch changes the game, and wich lengendarys can I catch?

Last edited:

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
HEY EVERYONE

I'll be away from hacking and the forum altogether for the next 2 weeks due to some big university tests coming up & a small vacation afterwards with a few friends. Therefore, I won't be available to answer anyone's questions or help them out personally. I'm asking everyone who comes to this thread to help each other out if someone is stuck at a problem you know the answer too. Before I take my break, I'll answer simple questions regarding the hack.

Stuck & can't progress farther in the hack: If this is your problem, you must download the latest ips update from the main post. It has been confirmed by enough people that the hack can be played from start to finish. After you patch the latest ips to a New Clean Fire Red Rom, walk in & out of a building(Or anywhere else) the changes that comes with the update should take affect in your gameplay Right Away afterwards. The hack ENDS after you defeat Adrian.

Can't load your old save files?: After you do the patching for an updated ips, in order to reload your save file you must go to your emular & press File-Load-Then find the save file wherever it is on your Computer & select it. Your old save file will reload now. For those who are having trouble with this, you're probably pressing "Load Game" and then don't see your old save file. You must select Just "Load" and then find your save file.

Progress while I'm gone: Although I won't be around for awhile, progress for the other two projects are still going on. Nightkymz is still inserting newer more awesome tiles for the Dark Rising 1.5 & Tajaros will be inserting the Physical/Special Split for Dark Rising 2 this weeknd.

Thank you everyone. I hope you all enjoy the hack. Remember what I said above please, Help Each Other Out! ^.^

Back