• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you ever Deny that New Pokemon are "Pokemon"?

Ace.

Love Yourself
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 29, 2015
Fore some Pokemon that I don't like the design I usually just hate on it until I keep seeing it and learn to accept it lol.

Years
When you have something that looks different than what you grew up with, then obviously people will feel like, "what the ****? there's a sword/trash/whatever pokemon? They're obviously running out of ideas... hurr durr"

Personally I haven't really felt that way for many Pokemon, although I'd understand if others don't feel the same way.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
No I don't. There are some pokemon that I hate, but a pokemon is a pokemon.

As stated many times, if the 5th generation had come out first, then people would hate the 1st generation. Every generation including the 1st and 2nd gen. have had very ugly pokemon.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
No, I don't ever really deny that a pokémon is. I just say I don't like them.
I mean, it's a game called pokémon, right? And every creature you can capture is a pokémon? Therefore every "pokémon" has to be a pokémon.

If that makes any sense. But basically, to answer the title question: no.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Not really, but it can take some time for something to register in my mind as a Pokemon; for how long depends how often I see it.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
This is the most random & pointless thread I've seen iv a long time. LOL.
Sorry dude. But i think your on your own with this one.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 28, 2021
Yes I do unfortunately. I don't want to, but some Pokémon are just plain ridiculous. Unlike a lot of people I like Pokémon that are man made either on purpose or accident (Ex. Voltorb/Electrode, Porygon, Mewtwo). Most Pokémon are based on animals which is cool, but it's cool that things are switched up and Pokémon that aren't so natural exist.

My HUGE problem though is Pokémon that appear man made that appear naturally in the wild! Garbage bags and ice cream cones are man made things, products that you can buy at the store. If Pokémon were real, there would be no reason at all why one would appear as something humans invented naturally. If there is a garbage and ice cream cone Pokémon, then there might as well be other product Pokémon! Pencil, mattress, potato chips, anything! With the way things are going those things could eventually become Pokémon! Is that what people want? It seems like with each new generation the Pokémon get less and less realistic. Yes I know Pokémon aren't real, but I'd like to think if they were, they would resemble animals found in nature.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Yes I do unfortunately. I don't want to, but some Pokémon are just plain ridiculous. Unlike a lot of people I like Pokémon that are man made either on purpose or accident (Ex. Voltorb/Electrode, Porygon, Mewtwo). Most Pokémon are based on animals which is cool, but it's cool that things are switched up and Pokémon that aren't so natural exist.

My HUGE problem though is Pokémon that appear man made that appear naturally in the wild! Garbage bags and ice cream cones are man made things, products that you can buy at the store. If Pokémon were real, there would be no reason at all why one would appear as something humans invented naturally. If there is a garbage and ice cream cone Pokémon, then there might as well be other product Pokémon! Pencil, mattress, potato chips, anything! With the way things are going those things could eventually become Pokémon! Is that what people want? It seems like with each new generation the Pokémon get less and less realistic. Yes I know Pokémon aren't real, but I'd like to think if they were, they would resemble animals found in nature.

I have actually talk to some people who hated that a good amount of the Unova pokemon were based of animals. So yes, there is a good number of people who do want that. I like the ice cream pokemon was actually one of my favorites in the 5th gen and I would love to see more food based pokemon, it changes things up as you said. ANd just because they are man made in real life, does not mean they are man made. For example:

This is Vanillite's Dex entry.
Theoretically, this Pokémon formed from icicles bathed in energy from the morning sun. Their breath is -58 F.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020

I agree with your sentiment, but a thought: maybe they are essentially artificial, like real 'designer pets'; although that doesn't necessarily explain their distribution in the wild, neither is found far from civilisation. A lot of things about Pokemon lore go unexplained so you can come up with any justification you want for almost anything.

Austin1395

Dark-type Trainer
Years
There is no set definition saying that these are the qualifying appearances and traits of a Pokemon. A Pokemon is a Pokemon. Are some designs less to my liking? Most definitely. Do I consider something not to be a Pokemon just because it looks kind of dumb? Not at all, that's just foolish. I love all Pokemon, whether it is aesthetically pleasing or not. You cannot deny Pokemon.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
I've always identified the difference between Pokemon and people, although I found Gothitelle to be half-human half-Pokemon, (It certainly is one horrible looking Pokemon) it is still a Pokemon.

Any species is a Pokemon if they can only say their name, and that they don't have human-colored skin.

Riolucario11

Bubbly Wubbly Pony Waifu
Years
I do not deny them of being Pokemon, more or less wish they were a bit better of a Pokemon.

Flametalon, for example. It's an over decent Pokemon from the looks of it, but one thing urks me. The name. I find it horribly uncreative, especially from the likes of Pokemon's standards, but I do not tell myself it isn't a Pokemon.

ErikaInRainbowCity

Everyday I'm Tumblin'
Years
I think there are some designs I will have to get used to (Tangrowth just... weirds me out) but I consider them all to be Pokemon. The fact that GameFreak still continues to push the envelope to more than 649 species of Pokemon is just a huge accomplishment. I mean let's be honest, how many of us could come up with 649 different new pokemon? I'm sure that once you reach about 200 or so you'll start creating Pokemon based on inanimate options around your living room as well -_-'

*Icecold*

Bow down to Queen Meowstic
Years
Design doesn't matter at all to me, it's the quality and stats of the Pokemon.

However, if I know literally nothing about a Pokemon I usually judge my design. Ugly Pokemon are bad, pretty Pokemon are decent. This however is not always the case.

I'm waiting for all of Generation 6's Pokemon to be released so I can judge by stats and movepool.

Sometimes, I can't help but point out a Pokemon's design though. Like, Klink. It's literally two gears! It's moveset and stats aren't actually that bad though, so I may use one. However, it's design really sucks.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 28, 2021
There is no set definition saying that these are the qualifying appearances and traits of a Pokemon. A Pokemon is a Pokemon. Are some designs less to my liking? Most definitely. Do I consider something not to be a Pokemon just because it looks kind of dumb? Not at all, that's just foolish. I love all Pokemon, whether it is aesthetically pleasing or not. You cannot deny Pokemon.

So do you think it would be okay for there to be an iPod Pokémon, box of cereal Pokémon, toilet Pokémon, etc. that isn't man made that appears in nature?

blue

gucci
Years
Pokémon are Pokémon, there's no two ways about it. They come up with over 650 individual designs and names and for what they have produced is pretty respectable IMO.

*Icecold*

Bow down to Queen Meowstic
Years
I sort of agree with pokemastah... If a Pokemon is literally a walking, talking inanimate object, that doesn't make much sense unless there is some background information on why the Pokemon is what it is.

For example, Vanilluxe is definitly Pokemon material. It's not ice cream, it just looks like it! It's actually 100% ice in a ice cream shape. That's original!

Muk is just a puddle of slime... that came to life due to access to moonlight.

Klink however is just two gears that have two faces. Humans didn't fuse it together. It didn't come to life. It's just two gears.

Years
I didn't like the Black/White pokemon very much at all. It's not because I'm og, it just didn't feel like Pokemon, plus, I found some of them to just look stupid or ugly.
I will admit most of them are creative designs and such, but I dunno, I just didn't like them, some were okay though I admit. :P (Some of Pearl/Diamond/Platinum didn't appeal to me either, like Probopass..)

I haven't really seen much of X & Y so I don't know yet about them.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
Not once.
If it's called a Pokémon, and it was created by GameFreak, and is in a Pokémon game, then it's a Pokémon, end of, no debate.

Back