• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RM2K/3 Pokemon Battle System

Are you planning on using the battle sys in your game?

• Yes

Votes: 88 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 16.1%
  • Not sure yet...

Votes: 21 14.7%
  • I don't care

Votes: 11 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
Now that Krazy is no longer with us, we will all mourn the loss of one of the greatest rm2k programmers around that innovated, as far as I know, the first CNS.

However, the project is imcomplete, and we'll need a new lead programmer. On the magical list of staff that I've been keeping, there's no one listed under battle system programming except for Meerkat and me. However, if anyone is willing to take on the work, I'd be more than happy to fork it over because of how hectic my life is. If no one is though, I'd be more than happy to work on it.

What do you think?

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
Years
My programming speciality is Java, with a minor knowledge of C++. However, I've learned more about programming in RM2k(3) in the last two months than I ever did when I was just casually playing around with it. Now that I'm actually serious about working on a game, I'd definately like a chance to work on this project. Probably not as a lead programmer, but I definately want to see this work.

My credentials are not great, having only a year of my course in Computer Games Software Development under my belt, but I think I could help out here as best I can.

Years
  • Seen Apr 30, 2012
Hmph, I'm the exact oposite. I learned about Java, but I was never to thrilled with it. I was never a fan. I enjoyed learning C ++ though. Oh, and I'm confused (with the CBS). Can someone make a version with comments? I'm good at getting to a point, I just can't "Backwards Engineer" the ideas. In this example, I probably could get to the CBS, and do it, but I can't understand it since its already done. That's one of my coding and Rm2k3 weaknesses, so, could someone make a version with many comments?

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
A lot of the events DO have comments. Lemme walk ya through it. This'll go from the upper left hand corner to the right, then down a row, then to the right of that row, etc.
1) Comments, which attack is represented by which variable #
2) Which pokemon is which number
Next row
3) Manages the menu when it's your turn to attack
4) Manages what happens when you select Fight/PKMN/Item/Run
5) Manages the Attack navigation
Next Row
6) Depending on which attack, damage is calculated and animation is played
Next Row
7) Loads which attacks a given pkmn has (a lil' out of order)
Next Row
8) This has comments. It recalls CNS input (nicknames)
9) Shows each letter from the above step
10) Shows my beautiful pan and if it's a trainer battle, a trainer
11) Plays music
Next Row
12) Shows total pkmn you have and what the opponent trainer sends out among other things related to which pkmn you see
Two rows later...
13) Enemy level, PP, stats (attk, etc), KOing, etc. There are comments
Four rows later (at the bottom)
14) Items (like pk balls, etc)

I think I got that all right...

Sure, toothache. I'm glad you like RPG Maker. It's a powerful engine, and what's best is you don't have to hand-write the script!

And I don't have any credentials. No courses or anything in game dev or computer programming.

Barry

Pokémon Trainer
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 16, 2018
The problem I run into while trying to test the system now is whenever I walk into the grass and the mosaic transition plays, a popup box pops up and says "The file main cannot be opened". I can't figure out what it means so I'm stuck again..

Years
  • Seen Apr 30, 2012
Wow, after all of that, I'm still confused. Surprising, actually. I guess I'll just have to find someone who understands the CBS, and have them impliment it into my game.

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
I've just taken a look at the CBS and D_M's notes really helped. I've
understood most of it and I'll give a shot at the CBS after I've experimented
with variables. (I don't understand the uses of some of them)
I'm hoping that Krazy does start posting once he gets settled down though.

Last edited:

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
"The file main cannot be opened".
I think it's a chipset.

Okay, if we're going to continue K_M's work, we'll need to figure out what needs to be added. What does? I'm having trouble thinking of it.

And do you think we should get rid of the "Ferocity" part of the damage formula? I'm kinda on the fence on that issue.

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
Years
I still say yes to getting rid of 'ferocity'. It's not like every Pokemon is ferocious after all. Something like Houndoom, yes, I can understand, but the vast majority no. Besides, who's gonna be scared of a ferocious Chansey? It's got the worst Attack stat in the game!

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
Okay, I never thought of it that way. I think I agree with Toothache. but we should probably leave in some options for the user, in case he/she wants ferocity.

Barry

Pokémon Trainer
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 16, 2018
Well I got it to work. It was nice. The errors I found were sometimes in battle, you suddenly couldn't choose any options. Whenever I left the bag, the options dissapear.

I really didn't see any errors for the item system. It'd be cool to update the pictures of it though. Same thing for the battle system. Update the images with your own style so it's unique. Or you could leave it how it is and let the people on their own games cahgne the images to make their game different.

That's probably what I'll do.

Edit: I'd sure like to help in any way I can. Though I'm not entirely sure what I could do besides graphics. I'd be able to sprite menus better than Pokemon, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Sorye HK

Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
Let's just first find out all the errors that are occuring and list them.
my evaluation:
1. After I heal my pokemon, the pokemon's HP won't go lower in a battle
until I use many attacks and turns.

2. After you use an item, 3 of that item increases. (don't know if this's an error)

3. Even when I choose Latios as my first pokemon, Latias comes out.

4. It doesn't output 'latios(enemy) used struggle' when it should. It just attacks
and outputs 'latios used tackle.' 'enemy is hit with recoil' I think it should output
'latios used struggle'
*note: this isn't something that always occurs.

5. CNS seems to be working perfectly.

6. I can use 'tackle' during the pokeball throwing animation. And if you do that, the word 'uses' appears next to Latios instead of the pokeball itself.

7. The pokeball animation should disappear more quickly when the pokemon is sent out
by the enemy or you've failed to catch the pokemon.

8. I think the PP of the enemy is always the same and doesn't go back to max after
the battle. ex: I've beaten the Latios (wild). While I was battling it, I made it use all
it's PP and made it use 'struggle' then I battle the trainer. The enemy still uses struggle
instead of 'tackle'

9. I sometimes get KOd over and over.

10. The name and level of the second pokemon sent doesn't come out.
Until I attack once.
*note: may have to do with the result of error 11.

11. I can use tackle while the opponent's changing pokemon. It was quite
funny when I tackled the karate master.

12. The lv 1 Latios inflicts more damage on me than my lv5 Latias does to it.

13. I can't use 'tackle' after I've used all my pp. It should use 'struggle' in this
situation, but doesn't.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 30, 2012
Also, a few times, when I went to my bag, with nothing in it, it would then not allow me to select any other options.

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
Yeah, there are lots of bugs that need to be ironed out. Just for fun yesterday I started the CMS with some graphics KM included. The navigation is all done and works smoothly :)

I just have to remember how to get the hero not to move when you press the arrow keys...

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
Sorry for the x2 post, but I've got a newsflash. I've been talking to Toothache, and he's willing to impliment realistic GB-style calculations into the CBS. Unfortunately, that's going to require a heck of a lot of variables, more than RM2003 can handle. So, we made the decision to use a patched version of RM2000 that allows for 30,000 variables instead of the normal 5,000.

We don't anticipate any RM2003-specific features being necessary, but we view this at the moment to be the best alternative. Are there any objections to this?

rebellee1187

Just another programmer..
Years
Dark Mage, I have a question. If this were to be done, would the game be editable in RM2k3 at all, or would all work need to be done in RM2K?

I'm all for this, even though I'm more familiar with RM2k3...

Maybe we should make a version for both, one which Crazy worked so hard on, and another which will be just like the GBA games.

In any event, I say go for it!

Years
  • Seen Apr 30, 2012
Yes, I think it would be important to use Rm2k3 rather than RM2k, as there are many more rm2k3 users here, than rm2k.

Barry

Pokémon Trainer
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 16, 2018
I don't care. I just want to be able to use it in RM2k3.

Sorye HK

Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
Hey, if we can get the calculations done in RM2K, do it.
I'll try and find a patch that can increase the number of variables in rm2k3 for
the time being. But do we really need over 5000 variables?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back