• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Player Customization

Guy

just a guy
Years
CONFIRMED by the Pokémon Company. At certain points in the game we'll be able to get new accessories and outfits for our protagonists. We'll be able to go back and change our outfits whenever we like. Also, since the new camera angles show our characters close up and in detail, we'll be able to see their new outfits on them.

So, it looks like we won't only be able to just change skin color, eye color, and hair color after all!

Branellope

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
Years
Interesting. It makes sense how they're doing this, the character remains the same but you can get new outfits. It never occoured to me to have them customizable later.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
CONFIRMED by the Pokémon Company. At certain points in the game we'll be able to get new accessories and outfits for our protagonists. We'll be able to go back and change our outfits whenever we like. Also, since the new camera angles show our characters close up and in detail, we'll be able to see their new outfits on them.

So, it looks like we won't only be able to just change skin color, eye color, and hair color after all!

Just saw this, and I literally couldn't be happier. From just the general accessories being around, plus I just saw that the skin color would be able to be modified, I am extremely pleased. It totally makes sense to take advantage of the new system and show off what it is really capable of. I don't think I could be happier with how this new generation is turning out.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years

Though I do wish it was just outfits and accessories and no change in skin, eye, and hair color, so the protagonists will be considered canon with their default appearance.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
I wonder if we'll then get outfits based on previous protagonists, and heck, we might even get costumes based on other Nintendo characters, I could imagine the blonde trainer to be put in a Link costume.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I could actually see that happening. It'd definitely be a fun nod to Nintendo's other series instead of just having some more random outfits. Either way I'd be pleased, but that definitely seems like a fun way to throw some random cameos into the games without having to bring in the actual characters from different universes!

Years
Though I do wish it was just outfits and accessories and no change in skin, eye, and hair color, so the protagonists will be considered canon with their default appearance.

This is probably the only thing I don't like about the ability to customise player characters. Ever since GS, I've been WAITING AND LONGING for a past protagonist to appear in the games. There was obviously a huge potential for that to happen in B2W2, but unfortunately it didnt. While there was no reason for it to happen in later generations as such, it was at least nice to be able to speculate. Now that players inevitably determine their appearance, there's no real 'default' to go to, which is a bit disappointing, but how and everrr...

I very much like it. It'll obviously make it easier to get immersed in the game. To be honest, I'll play as a male and I'll use the 'default' (til now) white skin/black hair, but it'll be cool to see what kind of clothes and other little things we'll have the option to add to the player!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
This is probably the only thing I don't like about the ability to customise player characters. Ever since GS, I've been WAITING AND LONGING for a past protagonist to appear in the games. There was obviously a huge potential for that to happen in B2W2, but unfortunately it didnt. While there was no reason for it to happen in later generations as such, it was at least nice to be able to speculate. Now that players inevitably determine their appearance, there's no real 'default' to go to, which is a bit disappointing, but how and everrr...

There was unused data for the BW1 protagonists to appear in BW2 as opponents for the PWT. It appeared that they were originally meant to be in the game but were removed for some unknown reason. I have two theories; either they wanted to stay true about the MCs being you and don't want Hillbert and Hilda's appearance to contradict their idea, or the spotlight was stolen by Red, the original MC.

Jigglymilk

Night Of The Final Day
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 12, 2016
I honestly don't see why anyone would be against customizable hair/skin/eyes? It's all optional, and I'm sure the white/brown haired boy and the white/blonde strawberry blonde haired girl are the default canon characters :)

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
I think pokemon.com just accidentally leaked further character customization (and possibly co-op gameplay.)

may_supp_p3_5.jpg

Check out this picture. What do you see in the top-right corner? Why it's our female protagonist, with no hat, and a different hairstyle.

It is definitely not the rival, because the rival would have the default appearance. It's not an NPC, because an NPC wouldn't use the same character model as the protagonist. I really believe this is co-op gameplay and additional customization right in front of our eyes.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I severely doubt you're seeing co-op gameplay. It is more than likely similar to RSE where the unused protagonist is part of the storyline. Of course, the customization on here is more than likely there to just showcase that the customization capabilities are there. Besides, if they are going to put it in there then it'd be doubtful that the other protagonist as a NPC wouldn't use the functions as well.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
I severely doubt you're seeing co-op gameplay. It is more than likely similar to RSE where the unused protagonist is part of the storyline. Of course, the customization on here is more than likely there to just showcase that the customization capabilities are there. Besides, if they are going to put it in there then it'd be doubtful that the other protagonist as a NPC wouldn't use the functions as well.

I have the complete opposite opinion to you lol. I really don't think the rival character will customize his/herself.

Anyway at least this screenshot proves that there is more advanced character customization. I haven't seen anyone else mention it so I was pretty excited about it!

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I'm so excited about the fact there will be more to customize throughout the game!!
This is a great addition, and I'm very anxious to see how far GF will go with this feature

I really don't think there is going to be coop-play, that would just be too revolutionizing
Why shouldn't the rival be able to customize his/herself? And don't forget this is still development material, who knows what they were testing

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
Maybe you can customize the unused MC to be of "fitting" appearance to you?

Like, when you go to customize your own character, later on the other MC asks your opinion about their dress. If you feel he/she should change, you could "make him/her over" and tah-dah, explanation for hatless unused MC.

Just a thought.

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
We don't need to customize the rival's outfit.

He can do it all by himself..! :-P

Random rival clothing choices... OMG I would love that... Rival looks different in everybody's game for the most part.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I kind of said this already, but that would definitely cover why the other protagonist was shown wearing different clothing in this screenshot. If they have interactions with the player then it'd make sense that they might randomly have different customization options for them as well!

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
I kind of said this already, but that would definitely cover why the other protagonist was shown wearing different clothing in this screenshot. If they have interactions with the player then it'd make sense that they might randomly have different customization options for them as well!
I like the idea of it being random, but the idea of the partner asking how they look and then allowing you to dress them seems to make more sense to to what feature they would put in the game.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I'm glad I can customize more than just eyes, skin ,and hair color. I can actually play as the boy without having to wear his hideous outfit. :) Hopefully I can change my outfit right before I actually get my starter at the very beginning. Can't wait to actually be able to have glasses for once.

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2013
I really want to be able to make the rivals appearance, so I can make him look stupid as possible

I also really want to be able to ditch the hat/sunglasses, I don't like them. That picture suggests maybe we will be able to!

Back