• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Advanced Series (GBA toolbox)

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
^ You.
What the..no?
I'm fairly certain there's a thread in the toolbox with "ADVANCE MAP" and the author's name below it. Since you aren't bright enough to look that far, I'm guessing AdvanceMap is working just fine, and there's just a problem with your ROM or there's been a user-error.
Sorry for being blunt. I'm not an ass, I swear.

Years
  • Seen Apr 5, 2014
I try importing Serperior's Sprite (64x64) into Venasuar's place, the sprite's colors are all messed up so I click "Synchronize palettes" and it gives me this error:

"Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Index was outside the bounds of the array."

I click "Details" and it gives a long error list or something that says:

Code:
See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at Sprite_Editor.EditSpriteDialog.SynchPalettes()
   at Sprite_Editor.EditSpriteDialog.SynchButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4961 (win7RTMGDR.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Advanced Pokémon Sprite Editor
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Account/Downloads/Pokemon%20hack/AdvancedSprite/Advanced%20Pok%E9mon%20Sprite%20Editor.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4957 (win7RTMGDR.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Core
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.4926 built by: NetFXw7
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

This didn't happen with Snivy or Servine's sprites... they're all 64x64

fallkitten

I Believe in Sherlock Holmes!
Years
  • Age 29
  • N/A
  • Seen Apr 8, 2024
When I'm trying to insert bulbasaur b/w sprite in game it shows like this:

What to do?X)

Shinypoliwrath

RMXP Noob
Years
  • Seen Oct 27, 2013
These tools have been a massive help since I've started.
For some reason UNLZ hates me and never seems to work right, but the advanced series tools are really easy to use, and haven't messed up yet.

By the way, is there a way to change trainer sprites using the advanced tools? If not, are there plans to create such a feature?

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
I try importing Serperior's Sprite (64x64) into Venasuar's place, the sprite's colors are all messed up so I click "Synchronize palettes" and it gives me this error:

"Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Index was outside the bounds of the array."

I click "Details" and it gives a long error list or something that says:

Code:
See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at Sprite_Editor.EditSpriteDialog.SynchPalettes()
   at Sprite_Editor.EditSpriteDialog.SynchButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
Advanced Pokémon Sprite Editor
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Account/Downloads/Pokemon%20hack/AdvancedSprite/Advanced%20Pok%E9mon%20Sprite%20Editor.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4957 (win7RTMGDR.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Core
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.4926 built by: NetFXw7
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

This didn't happen with Snivy or Servine's sprites... they're all 64x64
Well that means serperior have more than 16 colours!
just click continoue and update sprite pallete after u press syncronise and continue than it should work after advance series kidna index it for u coz it's not indexed thats why it shows this error.

What to do?X)
after u edited it right and clicked okay and than write to rom there shoudl be a window where it shows an starting offsets kinda put there for example 900000 and than find free space and write to rom.
and try again

These tools have been a massive help since I've started.
For some reason UNLZ hates me and never seems to work right, but the advanced series tools are really easy to use, and haven't messed up yet.

By the way, is there a way to change trainer sprites using the advanced tools? If not, are there plans to create such a feature?

Uhmmm as far as i know u cant change trainer sprites through advance series:\
for this u have to use unlz or NSE.

Shinypoliwrath

RMXP Noob
Years
  • Seen Oct 27, 2013
Uhmmm as far as i know u cant change trainer sprites through advance series:\
for this u have to use unlz or NSE.
Ah, well that's a shame. unlz keeps messing me about every time I try it, I'm following every guide I've read to the letter! >.<
I'll have to try NSE

Daylight Savings Time

Fall back, spring ahead.
Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2012
I second ShinyPoliwrath's desire to see a Trainer sprite editor as intuitive and well-crafted as these programs.

These have been completely invaluable to my own hacking, and saves the infinite headaches that UN-LZ can cause.

Thank you! :D

Years
  • Seen Aug 28, 2011
Can anybody help me out with this? I'm trying to put this mario sprite over wartortle. Obviously, I want to get the result that is in the "shiny" section on the top, but every time I sync the palettes, the colors get messed up and the result is the images turn black. I've tried several methods of trying to fix this, like changing the palettes, background color, different indexing with GIMP and Irfran, but I can't figure it out. Help would be much appreciated

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    122.7 KB · Views: 59
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2011
*Edited because it won't let me post URLs*

What to do?X)

I'm having this exact same problem. It happens with every sprite I import.

Here's an example of what I'm importing:

(See attachment, because it won't let me post URLs)

No matter what I do, whenever I Write to ROM, it always shows the sprite as a jumbled mess of blocks and lines. I've tried importing in so many different ways, using multiple different ROMs, and nothing seems to work.

I've kept the start offset to 0x0 and clicked Find Free Space. Then I clicked OK. I've also started it at 0x0, clicked free space, and wrote the offset that showed up underneath into the Start Offset section.

I honestly have no idea what to do, because no matter what I do it always shows up with this blocky mess.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks. <3

(Also, I've followed exactly what Anbuja's_BlooDY said to do, yet it STILL does it. )

Attachments

• 007.png
    007.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 44

Rayziken 2

Beginning ROM Hacker
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2016
I love the Icon Editor! I've made some custom icons, but I do have one problem; the icons are placed too high. I know this isn't your fault, but how many pixels down should the first one and second one be if I simply want my icons to move up and down?

unknownism

UnKnOwN oNe
Years
These tool are top notch when you get used to them, but does anyone know if it would be possible to insert larger sprites because sprites in newer games reach like 80x80 & I am not very good with resizing or recreation of a sprite... Otherwise does anyone know af a program that can shrink the sprites without to much of a glitchy outcome?

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
These tool are top notch when you get used to them, but does anyone know if it would be possible to insert larger sprites because sprites in newer games reach like 80x80 & I am not very good with resizing or recreation of a sprite...
Nope.

I recall someone asking if Poke sprites in the GBA games could be expanded past 64x64px. I also recall the answer: no. The GBA apparently can't show images larger than that size without using "tilemaps", which would be quite inconvenient to use for the Pokemon. There is also the problem of the GUI (stats screen, Pokedex, etc.) only being designed for 64x64px sprites, and needing to edit ASM in several different parts of the game engine to use the new size.

Even if those weren't an issue, changing the size would probably break compatibility with this program. :\

Otherwise does anyone know af a program that can shrink the sprites without to much of a glitchy outcome?
There's no program that'll resize them for and fix artifacts for you. My best recommendation is to simply get better at doing small pixel edits; usually when you resize, it's only lines and crosshatching that you'll need to fix anyway.

Tip: Windows XP's MSPaint works better than Windows 7's MSPaint. There's a way to get the former if you only have the latter, but I'm not sure how.

unknownism

UnKnOwN oNe
Years
Nope.

I recall someone asking if Poke sprites in the GBA games could be expanded past 64x64px. I also recall the answer: no. The GBA apparently can't show images larger than that size without using "tilemaps", which would be quite inconvenient to use for the Pokemon. There is also the problem of the GUI (stats screen, Pokedex, etc.) only being designed for 64x64px sprites, and needing to edit ASM in several different parts of the game engine to use the new size.

Ok, well I certainly do thank you for informing me of the "tilemaps" because I was confused on why sprites from another GBA game were much larger. I will just have to get better with sprite making, I'm still new to hacking so I appreciate your help.

kringlur

Velkominn í heim POKéMON!
Years
Can anybody help me out with this? I'm trying to put this mario sprite over wartortle. Obviously, I want to get the result that is in the "shiny" section on the top, but every time I sync the palettes, the colors get messed up and the result is the images turn black. I've tried several methods of trying to fix this, like changing the palettes, background color, different indexing with GIMP and Irfran, but I can't figure it out. Help would be much appreciated

Ditto. I was replacing the sprites with RBY ones though.

Years
  • Seen Apr 5, 2014
Hey, whenever I add a sprite, sometimes the colors are a bit messed up, like they have a black/dark blue streak across them in some areas. Usually it's like on their eyes or on a horn or something, Anyone know how to fix this?

Years
Well, horns and eyes tend to be white, so are you sure you're not making the white colour transparent?
As a rule of thumb, you should make the sprites' background a sort of teal colour, or a colour that isn't in the sprite (ie a green colour for a Latias sprite).

Years
  • Seen Apr 5, 2014
I'm sure It's not the sprite, but I tried this and it fixed the sprites! Thank you! But will the background show up in-game?

Years
  • Seen Dec 8, 2011
Has anyone figured out a way to get this program to work on Leaf Green? It seems like it should be simple enough, and I made a "leaf green ini" by changing the game code to BPEE, but the changes I make are not reflected in the game, and some sprites appear in mid air in the game whereas they don't in the program, and vice versa.

I have created a LeafGreen.ini for those of you who are looking for one, because sharing is caring :D
View attachment 60458

I was just glancing through the thread after making my post, and would like to absolutely thank you for being an amazing person!

Thanks for the .ini!

Last edited:
Back