• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shark Tank explodes.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
CCTV pictures captured the moment the giant tank burst, sending glass and fish flying into the crowd.

A man who was taking pictures of the aquarium when it broke was swept away by water.

Shoppers, store assistants and security staff suffered cuts and bruises as they were hit by pieces of 15cm-thick acrylic glass.

Three lemon sharks and dozens of small fishes and turtles were killed, according to reports.

Police have begun an investigation after the tank burst without warning.

"I was just walking by and heard the explosion of this water tank. I heard a bang, then water flushed out," said an unnamed passer-by.

"A cosmetics counter collapsed. The shop assistant was pulled out by other people," said another unidentified witness.

A safety expert said: "According to experts' preliminary investigation, the main cause of the incident is that the material used to make the aquarium ruptured under low temperatures after long-time use."

The Orient shopping centre said it had no plans to rebuild the aquarium which had become a popular attraction since it was installed two years ago.

http://news.sky.com/story/1030569/china-shark-tank-explodes-at-shopping-centre

Ah, good ol China... I just love how they make things that really shouldn't go boom, go boom.

I don't know whats worse/funnier. This exploding shark tank, or their classic exploding chair (Care to guess where the shrapnel from that goes?)

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
At least the glass is pretty thick so it's not definitely some attempt to cheap out on the materials again... could be an honest accident and not some way to cut budget while being cool for once, maybe? hopefully?

Then again, it's China and I really have little faith for quality products there =/

(Not going to get on a moral high horse and say boycott chinese products anytime soon... but I buy them with a low expectation in mind.)

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Hmm. What does it say about a person who's more upset about the dead fish, sharks and turtles than whatever may have happened to the civilians?

I'm referring to myself, of course.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Those poor fish. :(

Who knows if any of them from the tank was a threatened species. China should really try to build better quality tanks.

Don't think any of them are... and even slightly thicker glass will result in a much higher cost. So I'm pretty sure the tank was made the way it is cause of money issue >_<;

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Who would have thought Chinese products would break?

Hmm. What does it say about a person who's more upset about the dead fish, sharks and turtles than whatever may have happened to the civilians?

I'm referring to myself, of course.
It says a lot of things, none of them good, I assure you.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Omg, all those poor fishes that died.. ><

I don't know what the odds of a fish tank breaking... these usually don't happen alot.

Sir Codin

Who knows if any of them from the tank was a threatened species. China should really try to build better quality tanks.
I feel you.

Lemon sharks are currently Near Threatened on the IUCN Red List, and pretty much every living species of sea turtle is in the Threatened range, some of them Critically Endangered. Don't know about the rest of the fish, the article didn't specify their species.

Sucks for the fish and the civilians involved. Also, 15-cm may or may not have been thick enough, but Monterey Bay Aquarium has exhibits that use supposedly the same material (acrylic, if I'm not mistaken) and their thicknesses vary from 3 to 13 inches (or about 8 - 33cm) and I've never heard of any of their exhibits doing something like this.

Also it says "A safety expert said: "According to experts' preliminary investigation, the main cause of the incident is that the material used to make the aquarium ruptured under low temperatures after long-time use."

So far it's looking like the main cause was poor maintenance.

Last edited:

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
China should really try to build better quality everything.

It's disappointing to see these things happening. You'd think that in a modern day and age. they'd be able to catch these kinds of things before accidents happen. Guess not.

I think that it's more to do with the lack of trying in this particular incident... China has always been like that. It's great quality when they're on top of it like the gov't insane railroad networks and stuff, but the day to day things are just... ehhh...

They can do a good job too... IF they try u__u

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Sucks for the fish and the civilians involved. Also, 15-cm may or may not have been thick enough, but Monterey Bay Aquarium has exhibits that use supposedly the same material (acrylic, if I'm not mistaken) and their thicknesses vary from 3 to 13 inches (or about 8 - 33cm) and I've never heard of any of their exhibits doing something like this.

Also it says "A safety expert said: "According to experts' preliminary investigation, the main cause of the incident is that the material used to make the aquarium ruptured under low temperatures after long-time use."

So far it's looking like the main cause was poor maintenance.

Just like the rides in China's amusement parks. They show severe age that need refurbishment, yet they never have the time to do so. Some of the guys at Theme Park Review pointed out that they feared that these rides could break at any moment now. Aquariums are no different, as we can see in this article.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
The aquarium was installed 2 years ago.

Two years isn't long-time use.

Back