• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Montana

Say Hello To My Little Friend!
Years
actually,you can still use the geodude,as rock and ground are considered fighting types in the TCG,so they are usable in a way

Actually Ikwaylx is in Hoenn, and the type is not based on TCG as far as Im concerned

BTW I got myself a NO$GBA 2.6 without my PC turning evil as it always does. Now all I need is to find a Diamond rom and get the emulator to save and Ill start the challenge in Sinnoh.

EDIT: Got the rom, chose Turtwig, got to Jubilfe and got the Poketch. Ill check if the emu saved my game

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 16, 2009
I just beat Flint, yay!
Houndoom and Rapidash went down fast and Flareon wasnt too hard, too. but then he sent out Magmortar. It OHKO'ed everyone in my Team and i kept on using Revives. Ages later, he ran out of Flamethrowers and Thunderbolts and started using Hyper Beam, so i could finally defeat it. Infernape was easy again (and looked like it wears an earring, lol)
All in all, the Battle took me over 20 minutes. I still have 140-150 Revives left, so i think i should be able to defeat Lucian and Cynthia too.

Tony Montana

Years
My save file's fine, i last saved in Jubilife about to challenge my rival.

But when I got to Oreburgh, it said microphone wave failure and the emu closed! Does anybody know how to fix this problem?

Anyway I have a Lv 11 Tutwig (Donatello) with these moves:

Tackle
Withdraw
Absorb

Well, that's pretty much it. See ya.

KnilShadowLink

#1 Arcanine Fanboy
Years
MWHAHAHAHA FEAR THE GYRADOS (I'm gonna get one for every gen...hehe they're able to learn Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, & Surf >:D YESH!) Anyways...Beat Misty (TY Fearow), Lt. Surge (Thanks to Charizard ^v^), and got to Celedon...

AFTER MISTY

Fearow Level-29
Peck
Mirror Move
Leer
Fury Attack

Pidgeotto Level-25
Quick Attack
Gust
Sand-Attack
Whirlwind

Charmeleon Level-24
Ember
Scratch
Rage
Leer

Magikarp Level-17
Splash
Tackle
______

AFTER LT. SURGE

Fearow Level-31
Peck
Mirror Move
Leer
Fury Attack

Pidgeotto Level-29
Quick Attack
Gust
Sand-Attack
Whirlwind

Charizard Level-37
Ember
Slash
Rage
Dig

Gyarados Level-24 (Hehe Finally got me a Gyarados :P)
Bubblebeam
Bite
Tackle
Splash

Dux Level-19 (Traded with the girl, still debating with myself if I should make him a main battler)
Peck
Sand Attack
Leer
Fury-Attack

Bellsprout (HM Slave)
_____

AT CELEDON

Fear Level-36 (Fearow)
Peck
Mirror Move
Drill Peck
Fury Attack

Aeros Level-36 (Pidgeot)
Quick Attack
Gust
Wing Attack
Whirlwind

Charizard Level-37
Ember
Slash
Rage
Dig

Aquilis Level-34 (Gyarados)
Bubblebeam
Bite
Thunderbolt
Dragon Rage

Cut Whore (HM Slave xD)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 16, 2009
you've to right-click on the sprite and copy the url of the graphic. Then, you klick on the button 'inset image'
insertimage.gif
and paste it.

____

ok, i beat Lucian now. Mime, Gallade and Espeon were easy. Bronzong give some trouble but died before it was able to kill my team after numerous CMs. But Alakazam was real hard again. It outspeeded even Scyther and did lots of damage with psychic. but in some way i managed to poison it with vespiquen (i was lucky he didnt use a full restore) and use revives till it died.

KnilShadowLink

#1 Arcanine Fanboy
Years
...nvm something weird happened I don't understand...oh well this isn't a help thread so I won't keep going on

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 16, 2009
I beat Cynthia now. She wasnt too hard, almighty Scyther saved me in all critical situations. What am i supposed to do now? =D

Winners of the Challenge:
- Scyther. I had one in 3 gens and it always defeated everything
- Onix. Met and caught a shiny one in Johto's Victory Road
- Gyarados. Only Pokemon without type advantage that always gave me serious trouble.
- Butterfree. Only nub bug that was useful in the endgame (sleep powder support)
- Revives. I didnt need much of them in the first 3 gens but in Sinnoh they were so damn useful...

Losers:
- Parasect. Completely useless. Always.
- Me. For not being able to win without tons of Revives, sacrifiing HM Slaves on mt. coronet (still dont know if this was against the rules, what happens if it was?) and always screwing up the records of the most important battles
- Hoenn Elite 4. For being way too easy.
- The Flying type. For having over 9000 Weaknesses when combined with Bug.
- Zubat, Golbat & Crobat. For being the most common 4x Bug - Resisters.

my final team is:

Kricketune lv. 47
Spr_4p_402_m.png

- Aerial Ace
- Night Slash
- X-Scissor
- Swords Dance

Vespiquen lv. 50
Spr_4p_416.png

- Heal Order
- Toxic
- Attack Order
- Power Gem

Wormadam (Steel) lv. 48
Spr_4p_413S.png

- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon

Dustox lv. 46
Spr_4p_269_m.png

- Psybeam
- Sludge Bomb
- Bug Buzz
- Toxic

Scyther lv. 59
Spr_4p_123_m.png

- Brick Break
- Night Slash
- X-Scissor
- Wing Attack

Yanmega lv. 56
Spr_4p_469.png

- Silver Wind
- Giga Drain
- Ancient Power
- Air Slash

i'll post the Elite 4 Videos when i uploaded the Cynthia Battle+Hall of Fame

Volkner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiwBXmat_m4
Rival @ Pokemon League: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytkWxvHhEXM
___

Aaron: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDEL1o2EuR8

Bertha: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfryEQf5bBo

Flint, Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9-U2ovO8A
Part 2 (boring!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9YEs3iK1Jg
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07clQnfs_oA

Lucian: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S93KvSP-xqo

Cynthia, Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hifOWY19AOE

Part 2 + Hall of Fame: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlQiFmX1Q3M

Last edited:

Tony Montana

Years
Ok, as the "mic wave failure" thing that deleted A LOT of my (little) progress, teh Turtwig is that level. If I had saved the game at Oreburgh Donnatello would be at lv 14 more or less. Also I was about to catch a Geodude.

Oh, and bcuz school is sending me tons of homework I wont be able to play often, but Im still gonna play it.

Ill try to beat my rival and get to Oreburgh (again).

See ya.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Aiyh, sorry to hear about those troubles, Tony. I cannot offer any assistance, as I've never actually used one of those things before. >_<

And on another note, congrats to vrairenard for becoming the very first person to make it through this here Ultimate Monotype Challenge! :D

Though it looks like he won't be the only one in the newly formed Champions hall of fame I've added to the first post, as aaronburnsyou is just preparing to face the Sinnoh Elite Four. Good luck to you! ^_^

And of course, as I have mentioned earlier, I have been running through this thread recently in order to make the first post more up to date. And today I can finally say that it is. I don't think I missed anyone, but if you see that your name is still not where it belongs, just let me know so I can change it. ^_^

Tony Montana

Years
Roll is Back+1st Badge

Roll is Back, Back Again...

Well, after beating my rival, I headed to Oreburgh Gate, When a Lv 5 Geodude appeared and I caught it. I trained it on my way through the Mines and it grew really fast. Then I headed to the Gym to get my first badge

Roark - Rock vs Ground

This guy was piece of cake (mmm...cake...*drools*). Donatello did it in the blink of an eye. His Geodude and Onix went down easily, and Cranidos went down in...2 or 3 Absorbs. After beating him, he gave me the Badge and TM Stealth Rock, with I doubt Ill need.

Game saved at that big grassy area north of Oreburgh (i think it was Route 207).

I hope the save file isnt deleted or I think Im gonna blow up...I mean so much "progress" in vain... Never mind.

Ill continue my Sinnoh journey tomorrow (after my homework is finished)

Till then, later.

PS:Oh, forgot to post my team. Here it is:

Donatello - Turtwig - Lv 15
Tackle
Withdraw
Absorb
Razor Leaf

Roll - Geodude - Lv 11
Rock Throw
Defense Curl
Tackle
Rock Polish

Tony Montana

Years
Not much progress...just beat the Galactic Grunts harassing Prof. Rowan in Jubilife City and Im headed to the next city...was it Floaroma Town?

The only difference in my team is the level: Donnatello is lv 16 and Roll is lv 13. So good Ill get a shellos really soon. Ill try to catch a Bidoof for HM Slavery.

Ill update as soon as I get to Floaroma. Later.

Last edited:

Tony Montana

Years
I WANT IN!
I'll sign up in Sapphire with Darks!

Read the rules. Since there isnt any Dark-types in R/B/Y because they didnt exist, you cant use them. Also you have to start with the 1st gen games.

Now for the update:

I got to Floaroma Town, got the berries, yadda, yadda yadda, got the Valley Windworks Key and got myself a Shellos (Slug).

Team:

Donatello - Turtwig - Lv 17
Tackle
Curse
Absorb
Razor Leaf

Roll - Geodude - Lv 14
Rock Throw
Rock Polish
Tackle
Defense Curl

Slug - Shellos - Lv 7 (freshly caught)
(Fill in later, was too lazy to check its stats and moves)

Ill post more progress when Shellos is at a decent level (15 or so) and kick the Galactics out of the Valley Windworks.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Aug 6, 2010
I WANT IN!
I'll sign up in Sapphire with Darks!
Poochyena, this is a run which you go through all the regions with a type. Since dark is unavailable in the Color games, you can't do it.

Myzou: Haha! Glad to see you back. 2 month break? This challenge has only been around 3 months!

ShatteredRose

Thanks for Noticin'
Years
What are the rules regarding pokemon who evolve and gain the type that is your monotype?

For example, if I were doing an Ice monotype, could I use shellder until I was able to evolve it into Cloyster? Or does the pokemon have to start out with your chosen monotype?

EDIT: HA! I spelt "regarding" wrong. Ah, oh boy. I fixed it above.

Last edited:

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
Years
Poochyena, this is a run which you go through all the regions with a type. Since dark is unavailable in the Color games, you can't do it.

Myzou: Haha! Glad to see you back. 2 month break? This challenge has only been around 3 months!

My last video for this was uploaded on Jan. 24th. It's March 31st. So yes, a 2 month break :P I went through them very fast XD And uploaded every gym battle XD

What are the rules regrading pokemon who evolve and gain the type that is your monotype?

For example, if I were doing an Ice monotype, could I use shellder until I was able to evolve it into Cloyster? Or does the pokemon have to start out with your chosen monotype?

You CAN use them, to my knowledge... I Know some flying type people chose Charmander in the first gen.

Tony Montana

Years
Yeah, and I had a Nidoran in my Ground challenge so it evolved into NIDOKING (a Ground type). And Im currently using a Turtwig and a Shellos so they evolve into ground types, so I guess there's no problem with it.

Oh, and I expect to defeat Team Galactic at the Windworks by Sunday. I have a lot of school stuff to do, and if I get to play it today, I have to train Shellos A LOT.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Yeah, you can take Pokemon who aren't of your type if they'll eventually evolve into your type. For example, I still have an Eevee in my Crystal team.

Oh, I should really get back to that game. But Platinum's got me occupied, lol.

Tony Montana

Years
Whoa, I did much more progress than I expected. Mars was easy as pie, Roll thrashed her with his moves, learning Magitude in the process. Then I trained Slug, who came up huge and became a vital team member. After that I got through Eterna Forest, where Donny evolved and Slug grew even stronger, learning HP. AS it was "not very effective" against a Meditite and "super effective" against a Wurmple, i figured out it was HP Rock. I saved at Eterna City. Expect my party to be lv 22 by tomorrow or Saturday.

Team:

Donatello - Grotle - Lv 18
Tackle
Curse
Absorb
Razor Leaf

Roll - Geodude - Lv 16
Magnitude
Rock Throw
Rock Polish
Defense Curl

Slug - Shellos - Lv 17