• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Elite Four

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
As we know, Generation 5 changed the game with the Elite Four. Instead of the precedent set where you face them in a predetermined order, where each member became more difficult, you could choose the order you fought them in and they were all roughly leveled the same. Did you like that change and would you like to see it back for Generation 6? Would you prefer to go back to the old system? Is there some other way you'd like to see it play out?

I actually loved the change of being able to fight them in whatever order you liked. The one thing I wish they could have done (although I have no idea if it would have been possible) would have been to scale the levels of each member as you fought more of them, raising the levels, giving it the same difficulty level that the first 4 generations had. I'd love to see something like that, but if it wasn't possible, I'd be perfectly happy with Generation 5's system.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I did like the ability of choosing the order of the Elite Four so you can prepare beforehand. But yes, I'd prefer if as the number of E4 member's you've defeated, the levels and difficulty goes up. I dunno, I just find that beating higher level pokemon to be more rewarding than the same leveled pokemon, you know? It's just, I found Gen 5's E4 disappointingly easy in that regard, because your pokemon will level up, but theirs don't, so... yeah.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I always hated having the E4 scaled in a certain order. I think Gamefreak realized some players train to beat the Champion specifically, and by that point, the first member being five or more levels under made absolutely no sense. Thus, making the Champion a couple levels above everyone else and putting all E4 members at the level of the would-be final challenger does two things:

1) Gives the player control of how to best battle the E4 with his or her team, and
2) Makes each of the E4 battles equally difficult in challenge, forcing you to find weaknesses on each.

I like it!

Cyclone

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Battle wise, I would love if they went and did something crazy, like have the E4 gain puzzles before you battle them, or perhaps have their battles not right before the champion of the region, but during the plot. I would see it working like recommendations, and when you finally reach the Pokemon League, the champion of the region will be waiting for you.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
I like the idea of being able to hand-pick which order you would fight the Elite 4, although to be honest I wouldn't really mind if Gamefreak decided to change it back to the old system, I always have checked which Pokemon the Elite Four used beforehand anyway so it wouldn't matter to me haha.

I understand the point of making the levels of the Elite Four higher as you progressively beat them but it wouldn't make much logical sense having a member of the Elite Four have lower levels in one playthrough just because you picked it first but then have them have higher levels in someone else's playthrough just because they picked him/her last. That kind of leveling thing would be more logical in the not-picking-which-one-to-face Elite Four system.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Battle wise, I would love if they went and did something crazy, like have the E4 gain puzzles before you battle them, or perhaps have their battles not right before the champion of the region, but during the plot. I would see it working like recommendations, and when you finally reach the Pokemon League, the champion of the region will be waiting for you.
I see possibilities. Once you arrive at the Pokémon League, you are sent in search of the Elite Four, who have been located in all the towns and cities you've already visited throughout the game, but only now will reveal themselves to you. You will this time have the ability to save between battles since you're wandering around. Or, you speak to them and they go to the Pokémon League to await a standard challenge once they are all gathered (after which they disperse back to their homes as before). That way, they already know you and you them.

Cyclone

lineofdeath

...overuser of the ellipsis...
Years
I like the idea of being able to hand-pick which order you would fight the Elite 4, although to be honest I wouldn't really mind if Gamefreak decided to change it back to the old system, I always have checked which Pokemon the Elite Four used beforehand anyway so it wouldn't matter to me haha.

I understand the point of making the levels of the Elite Four higher as you progressively beat them but it wouldn't make much logical sense having a member of the Elite Four have lower levels in one playthrough just because you picked it first but then have them have higher levels in someone else's playthrough just because they picked him/her last. That kind of leveling thing would be more logical in the not-picking-which-one-to-face Elite Four system.

The elite 4 are rich. They probably have rare candys.

Oh and I liked the thing they did in gen 5, however it was easy.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I see possibilities. Once you arrive at the Pokémon League, you are sent in search of the Elite Four, who have been located in all the towns and cities you've already visited throughout the game, but only now will reveal themselves to you. You will this time have the ability to save between battles since you're wandering around. Or, you speak to them and they go to the Pokémon League to await a standard challenge once they are all gathered (after which they disperse back to their homes as before). That way, they already know you and you them.

Cyclone

Good idea imo. But I'd rather if it was only the latter. It just feels less official if you're battling them in someone's house somewhere. :(

Years
  • Age 23
  • No.
  • Seen May 1, 2014
I really like choosing the order of the Elite Four,
but I want to go back to the old style, I didn't like it when each of them have the same level of pokemon.
Like their highest level is 50, so when we go back to the old style. It'll be all better.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Just to tack another question on to this: How difficult would you like the Elite Four to be? Did you find them too easy in previous game? Would you like their maximum levels to be boosted?

I thought that Hoenn pretty much had it right when it came to levels (ranging from high 40s to about 60), which wasn't a drastic scaling upwards, but it definitely gave the challenge a sense of difficulty compared to what Johto or Unova did for me.

Years
I think these types will be used in the elite 4 (exepting the champ)

Dragon
Steel
Fire
Electric

It's probably gonna be the complete opposite but there's my guess

Sirfetch’d

I loved being able to battle them in any order I want. After I found out what types they were using, being able to battle them in any order made the experience better because I would battle them in order from hardest for my team to beat to easiest.

As for difficulty I would like the second time you battle them even harder. B&W2 had it just about right with challenge mode and that is the difficulty in which I would like to see them return after you beat them once.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
They should make their Pokémon's levels higher too. What are they normally at, 50? If they're so elite, then they need higher levels on their Pokémon. By the way, can someone run by me the members of the Elite Four from each generation? I don't know all of them at the top of my head.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I think challenging the Elite 4 in an order the player chose was a good way to mix things up and i actually liked it a lot! i thought it was fun, since i could decide what type i wanted to battle in what order.
I just wish they would change up the Elite 4 types a bit around, just to keep things fresh :D
Like maybe not always have a Dragon type trainer, and Ghost and Dark are getting kinda old too...
at least thats my opinion

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
The only thing that goes against that is that Unova was pretty low leveled overall, as compared to either Hoenn or Sinnoh. I'm just hoping they go back to high 50s for the Elite Four again. Needs more challenge to it, especially since Unova was so easy to grind in with the presence of Audino.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
Elite 4 would need to have new types than earlier gen, just so we can see more different pokemons. The types not used yet in Elite 4 are: Flying, Thunder, Water, Normal, Steel, Rock and Grass.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
The only thing that goes against that is that Unova was pretty low leveled overall, as compared to either Hoenn or Sinnoh. I'm just hoping they go back to high 50s for the Elite Four again. Needs more challenge to it, especially since Unova was so easy to grind in with the presence of Audino.
To be fair, B2/W2 has mid-to-high 50s for the E4.

Cyclone

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Elite 4 would need to have new types than earlier gen, just so we can see more different pokemons. The types not used yet in Elite 4 are: Flying, Thunder, Water, Normal, Steel, Rock and Grass.

A lot of them just seem like staples for gym types, though :(

Although Steel/Rock/Ground/Fighting wouldn't be completely un-viable, but would definitely overlap a lot.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
A lot of them just seem like staples for gym types, though :(

Although Steel/Rock/Ground/Fighting wouldn't be completely un-viable, but would definitely overlap a lot.

Only problem I see with those typings is that they're all primarily physical attacks. I'd imagine that the Elite Four would follow it's usual trend and have a combination for physical and special-based attack types.

Back