• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Hoenn Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riceeman

Spriter Guy
Years
  • Seen Nov 25, 2011
Logoo.png

Created with RMXP and The Pokemon Essentials kit.

Introduction
Howdy all

Before I advance, no, this is not a R/S/E remake. I think that remakes lack originality and creativity. This is something completely different, just set in the Hoenn Region.
Hey Pokecommunity! I'm Riceeman, and if you know me, it's probably because of my spriting. I take pride in being a good spriter, but I've always wanted to make a game. I've been trying for about a year, but everytime I start, I lose inspiration. Not so this time. Now, I get to combine my two loves, pokemon Game-Making and Spriting, to create what I hope to be a really exciting game.

Story
You're doing what!?!
Well, there is no binding storyline. No huge apocalypse that a 10 year old kid must stop. The world is literally your playground. You can wander over Hoenn, training your Pokemon, and yes, there are Pokemon from Sinnoh and ther other regions found in the wild. Of course, that would be slightly boring. It would get repetitive and you'd quickly stop wanting to play the game. So that's why there's more.

A Pokemon lost in the woods. A ring that fell down the drain. An old person in the countryside who's milk delivery is late. Yes, that's right. Mini quests. Get right into the life of the game and help the NPCs with their daily lives. You might be rewarded, you might not. Some might be easy, some might spiral into huge journeys and great adventures. One quest might trigger another. You have the freedom to help who you want, and not who you don't. The story really does revolve around what YOU want to do, not what the game wants you to do. The more and more quests you complete, the harder they get as your name spreads through Hoenn. So, if you run throught eh game and get to Sootopolis, there will still only be pretty easy, every day quuests. People wouldn't want a boy to help them with getting back lots of stolen pokemon from a dangerous syndicate if they're unknown.

With the fact that there's no official story as such, there's also no team that gets stopped by a child on his/her own. The real world is much more harsh then that, and not as organized. there will be thugs and robbers you will need to defeat, and some might not just back down, even when defeated by a pokemon Battle. These are vicious people, and your bravery and skill is going to be put to the test.

Well, there is a bit of story. The back story. What happened to Hoenn? How did other Pokemon from the other regions end up there?

Professor Oak looked out at the Pokeballs being taken out of the mass of vans in Route 101. All over Hoenn, similiar vans were unloading similiar cargoes. As the Professor watched, men and women started releasing the Pokeballs into the grass. A Bidoof scurried off into a nearby bush, a horde of Rattatta burrowed into the undergrowth. A Hoothoot and it's flock landed in a nearby tree. A crowd, formed from the nearby town of Littleroot, cheered as the new Pokemon began to seek refuge in the route. A few passing Zigzagoon watched with eyes filled with curiosity as the new Pokemon settled into their new home. Once more, route 101 was filled with the normal activity of Pokemon, as if nothing had happened. That could be no further from the truth, Professor Oak mused, for with the integration of his new Migration plan, Hoenn would be changed forever.

He tore his eyes away from the scene as the vans trundled away, to the child standing next to him, their eyes filled with determination and ambition.

"So, you're ready?" He asked, and when they nodded he laughed slightly and walked away, "Professor Birch has recently seen some rare pokemon near Littleroot. Maybe you could help him catch one?" And he was gone.

The now lone figure on the hill took one last look at the new Hoenn before wandering after Professor Oak. Go time.

Hopefully that should keep Agent Zero happy. If not, bleh ^___^

Features
Yay, Originality!

- The Whole of Hoenn to explore, bigger and better then ever. It still keeps its huge beaches, large desert and burning volcanoes, along with something new...
- Graphics - Basically everything will be changed, but most importantly are the unique custom Dp Style tiles made by me.
- Like I said above, no Storyline, just lots of exciting and fun quests to do as you journey through the Region.
- Reputation Points - Help lots of People and you will be reqarded with the chance to do bigger and better quests. maybe you'll even team up with some familiar faces...
- And....The rest will be released with future updates

Screenshots
What you've been waiting for.

Like I said, the Graphics are what I pride myself on as a spriter and artist. I can't show you everything as that will spoil it, and because I'm working on the graphics as I go along. So, feast your eyes on the new Tiles for now! Note: I will only post a few screenshots here, the rest you'll have to look in updates for.
capture045-1.jpg
capture046.jpg

Littleroot Town and Route 1
capture044-1.jpg
capture040.jpg

Petalburg City and a Boy on Route 1.
capture041.jpg
capture042-1.jpg

The Boy explaining the Migration Plan success.
Team

Riceeman: Everything
Corssel: Trainer Spriter

I don't believe in big teams. people getting others to do Mapping and such then actually end up doing nothing. if you can't Map or Event very well, then you're in trouble, and RMXP is not the program for you.

Saying that, I do need some positions for things I can't do very well.

Trainer Spriter:
I need someone who can scratch Trainers in 64x64. There will also be a few cases when they may just be edits, but there are lots of Trainers that need to be scratch sprited. Copy and past trainers often look tacky and not very professional.

Scripter:
One of my biggest weak points. I may have a friend who can help me sometimes, but anyone who can script would be a big help. At the moment, I need simple things like the Ash falling around Falorbor and selection screens.

Credits

Poccil - For making the brilliant starter kit.
Neo Dragon, Omega Groudon, Fangking Omega, Waudby, Esmas and Red Gyarados - For giving me support and advice, and for being generally awesome people (Yeah, I bet you're jealous at all my awesome friends :P)
Kyledove - I'm not using your tiles, I just want to credit you for being a huge inspiration to all spriters.

Thank you for reading. One last thing to say - WELCOME TO HOENN!

Last edited:

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Oh I didn't know you would be starting a thread so soon. As I told ya before, I love how your using your own tiles for this region revamp. Keep at it and if you ever want to chat, you know how to reach me.

ryushin5

In College YAY! :3
Years
This is really good, I like it, I mean getting to do what ever you want in hoen thats awesome also I like the tiles too. :D

blueguy

No capitalization required. ;D
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 20, 2013
Your tiles have a really interesting style to them. I'm just curious as to how much progress in the game you've made so far? Good luck with this! I've always thought Hoenn was in serious need of a facelift. ;D

h POKE

angry kid and a keyboard
Years
  • CT
  • Seen Jan 17, 2016
Interesting, and with only a hint of plot to it... Something that I enjoy, but AZ would go nuts.

The graphics, more importantly look great. I like some of the water details you put in (grass in the water, rocks, etc.), and how the shading is much more subtle.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2023
Wow, this game looks nice.
The tiles looks nice and most importantly, original.
Hope to see more screenies :)

Riceeman

Spriter Guy
Years
  • Seen Nov 25, 2011
Just to clarify, this game is set 10 years after the events of R/S/E. yes, MOST of the Gym Leaders are being kept. But think of Gym Leaders retiring and you should be able to see which Gym Leader or leaders are being replaced.

The next (and first) update will show you an example of a quest, and how they're not as simple as you may think.

Years
Seriously, this is what originality is about. Wiping the storyline out is an excellent idea. The tiles look wonderful, too (I would critique, but this really isn't the place to do that). I hope you actually complete this project, and that you make it compelling enough to play for a while.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
Nice job Ricee! This is definitely restoring my faith in the Pokemon fan project, taking out the major story and putting fun in its place, great idea! I'll definitely keep both my eyes on this project, good luck!

Years
  • Seen Dec 22, 2009
Great graphics, the first time I've seen them in that style. Nice going! It certainly is a nice change from Nintendo DS style graphics I've seen so often.

Years
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
Kudos to you mate, this game has its own atmosphere with it that makes it feel nostalgic yet new and exciting.

Florio

Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
Years
wow i love your tiles and the concept of going on quests instead of going on a long storyline
keeps the game fresh and makes the game unforced

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
Years
The migration thing doesn't make any sense. Foreign species running around in an uncontrolled environment is never a good thing because that disrupts the ecosystem. Despite ruining so many laws of physics, the Pokémon World still functions as a proper biosphere.

Riceeman

Spriter Guy
Years
  • Seen Nov 25, 2011
I knew someone was going to bring that up.

I realise that putting new lifeforms into an already working ecosystem would disrupt it yes. But this is a Game. Maybe the ecosystem wasn't working properly? Maybe being Pokemon of the same types, they work in about the same way? It's just a way to get more varied pokemon into Hoenn, rather then "Dis region suddenly haz all de pokemonz".

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Dude, it's YOUR game. It doesn't have to obey the official storyline or rules of the official games. So make up whatever storyline you want. This is your universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back