• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Roller Skating

Years
I didn't really enjoy using them. They're fine as a concept, but the fact that you can never take them off is annoying. Before you get them, you can use the Circle Pad to move around like you do with the D-Pad, and I wish I could go back to that...

Years
I found the roller skates quite fun to use. It was nice being able to ride down rails at fast speeds, and while it wasn't as fast as the bike I found it gave more enjoyable movement capabilities.

Years
I didn't rollerskate much. It's a nice middle-ground for those who feel running is too slow and biking is too fast but said middle-ground I personally never needed. The bike was fast but not too fast whereas running was perfect for most other situations where biking wouldn't have been as good a choice.

That and I am still not used to using the circle pad for movement in Pokemon. >_>;

Years
I thought they were a fun concept, but me being the kinda guy who loves the original stuff I used the bike more often. The bike is more convent for going in straight lines, so I find it really helpful when I am breeding pokemon cause I don't have to pay much attention to what I am doing. I would like to see more of the whole rollerskate concept in the next new gen :P

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I disliked how the roller skates weren't removable, as I found the D-pad annoying to use for tighter grid-based control (not as comfortably placed for my thumb) and found the control on the roller skates a little sloppy. Sure, they became easier to use over time, and they did help speed things up a lot, but I pretty much stopped using them once I got the bike because the bike was smoother and faster.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Eh, not a huge fan of the skates. They're cool and everything, but just annoying to control. As others have said, I wish they were removable so I could get around easier.

Years
I don't mind it really. It gets a bit irritating sometimes though when I'm going at mach speeds and BAM, bush... Haha, but otherwise, it's much niftier and I find myself not using the bike all that much unless necessary.

Yvonne

♥ Kalos Queen ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 29, 2015
I kind of hated the skates, honestly. Every time I used the circle pad they'd pop back on, so I had to get used to using the arrows. They felt really clumsy and awkward to me, so I greatly prefer the bike or running shoes.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Fluid movement is nice, although a little awkward in a grid-based world (the same issue is present in Minecraft). For me, the annoying thing about the rollerskates is the little animations for putting them on and taking them off; they somewhat ruin the fluidity of one's transit over short distances. Also, a complete control listing for them would've been nice to see in the manual; I never took the bother to learn any tricks, and only incidentally found out how to move faster than the default maximum speed (which makes people's comments about how the skates aren't as fast as the bike technically untrue). I prefer them over the bike, in any case, since they don't have to be pulled out like an item, but that leads me onto the worst thing about them: they ruined some players' preference for fluid control of pedestrian movement using the analogue pad. There should've been an option not to use the rollerskates once one got them.

Back