• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Team Questions (and Incomplete Team Help)

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
cool thanks, for ur help, i post my final chosses here so u can help improve them

Years
A question on Vaporeon again.
What's a better EV spread:

252 HP/200 Def/52 Sp Def

OR

252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp Def

Which one should I use, and why? The Vaporeon is a wish Vaporeon with Scald, Toxic, Wish, and Protect. It's a wall basically

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
A question on Vaporeon again.
What's a better EV spread:

252 HP/200 Def/52 Sp Def

OR

252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp Def

Which one should I use, and why? The Vaporeon is a wish Vaporeon with Scald, Toxic, Wish, and Protect. It's a wall basically

248 HP/252 Def/8 Spe is the better spread than those two, as focusing on its physical bulk is more important. 248 HP EVs let it take less damage when it switches into Stealth Rock.

Years
248 HP/252 Def/8 Spe is the better spread than those two, as focusing on its physical bulk is more important. 248 HP EVs let it take less damage when it switches into Stealth Rock.

Yes, but what about its SP Def? I mean a Thunder could take out a Vaporeon with only 226 SP Def, right? Heck a leaf storm is a sure 1 hit KO, so how should I accommodate for that?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Yes, but what about its SP Def? I mean a Thunder could take out a Vaporeon with only 226 SP Def, right? Heck a leaf storm is a sure 1 hit KO, so how should I accommodate for that?

You can switch it to a Special Defensive tank if you're worried in that regard, but you really shouldn't leave it in against a pokemon that has Thunder or Leaf Storm anyway. ):

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
heres my thoughts for my ice team abomasnow, walrein, froslass and cloyster.

do u think kyurem or metagross may be godd chioces for this team

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
heres my thoughts for my ice team abomasnow, walrein, froslass and cloyster.

do u think kyurem or metagross may be godd chioces for this team

Are you going for a ice mono team & one Wild Card? Well, yeah, Kyurem or Metagross would be okay.

I'd also recommend Mamoswine, He's great with his high Atk and considerable bulk, and he's also the only Fully-evolved Ice that learns Stealth Rock IIRC. Plus, fire pokemon would have to think twice if they don't want to eat an Earthquake. You can chose that over Walrein, siiiince tbh, I see that Walrein might slow down the pace of your team. But, it's up to you on what you wanna do~!

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
another good suggetion, i have much to think about, but how r my other choice?

and may i ask what u mean by "Are you going for a ice mono team & one Wild Card?"

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years

Well yeah, Kyreum is pretty good; you can run it as a mixed set if you want. Metagross can be also beneficial of taking steel type attacks, but the only problem is that it can't take fire attacks all that well. You can try both and switch things around!

And what I meant before is, are you planning on having a team of 5 ice types, and one pokemon that isn't a ice type?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years

and may i ask what u mean by "Are you going for a ice mono team & one Wild Card?"

All the members of the team in a mono-Ice team are Ice type. Generally, that's not recommended for serious play, as types like Fire and Fighting can easily raze through the team.

Ice teams tend to be weak to Fire, Rock and Fighting, so Tentacruel is a big help here:
-Scald
-Rapid Spin
-Toxic/Toxic Spikes
-Substitute/Protect
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/236 Def/20 Spe
Item: Black Sludge
Ability: Rain Dish

Also, don't forget about Heatran, as it can absorb Fire moves directed at your Ice 'mons:
-Lava Plume
-Stealth Rock/Roar
-Protect
-Toxic/Will-o-Wisp/Earth Power
Nature: Calm
EVs: 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Spe
Item: Leftovers

or
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power (Grass/Ice)/Dragon Pulse
-Stealth Rock/Toxic/Taunt
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Air Balloon

or
-Fire Blast/Overheat
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power (Ice)/Dragon Pulse
-Flamethrower
Nature: Timid/Modest
Item: Choice Scarf

or
-Fire Blast/Overheat
-Earth Power
-Dragon Pulse/Hidden Power (Ice)
-Flamethrower/Hidden Power (Grass)
Nature: Timid/Modest
Item: Choice Specs

Years
Okay thanks!
Now for Alakazam, I have a Timid natured one with Choice Specs with the moves Psychic, Energy Ball, Focus Blast, and Shadow Ball. It's IV's are

20 HP/20 Atk/21 Def/20 SP Atk/20 SP Def/ 31 Speed

Now, should I rebreed to get a higher SP ATK (which will take a while, and is tedious) or should I keep this one? I mean how much of a different is the 11 missing IV's?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Okay thanks!
Now for Alakazam, I have a Timid natured one with Choice Specs with the moves Psychic, Energy Ball, Focus Blast, and Shadow Ball. It's IV's are

20 HP/20 Atk/21 Def/20 SP Atk/20 SP Def/ 31 Speed

Now, should I rebreed to get a higher SP ATK (which will take a while, and is tedious) or should I keep this one? I mean how much of a different is the 11 missing IV's?

Well, if you have a Timid Alakazam with 20 SP Atk IVs, you'll be looking at about ~358 SP Attack at level 100. With Choice Specs that will be about 537 SP Atk.

Timid Alakazams with a full 31 SP Atk IVs will have about 369 Sp Atk so you'll be losing at about 11 stats in it's Sp Atk (369-358). Battle wise? It may not make too much of a difference if you have Hazards up anyway~

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
thats a thought to make a full team, hmm platinumdude Tentacruel raindish ability will be wasted on this team considering it will hailing

and as for the team setup, im general trying to bluid for doubles, but i still want to have 2 pokes on the side to swich up tactices from battle to battle and the other 2 pokes will do nicly in in full 6 on 6 battles

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
thats a thought to make a full team, hmm platinumdude Tentacruel raindish ability will be wasted on this team considering it will hailing

and as for the team setup, im general trying to bluid for doubles, but i still want to have 2 pokes on the side to swich up tactices from battle to battle

Rain Dish is mainly on Tentacruel to take advantage of opposing rain.

I suggest you look at each Pokémon's VGC articles on Smogon for more info, as the double battling format is different from single battling.

Back