• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Hm so for 3rd gen you can only change the stats and sprites of the gen 3 Pokemon to make then "become" the gen 5? But not have gens 4+5 with gens 1-3 already in it? Basically can I have all 649 with editing and hacking in a gen 3 game? Lol.

No. There's 30 free spots for Pokémon, but only 30. Others you'll have to replace.

Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2013
No. There's 30 free spots for Pokémon, but only 30. Others you'll have to replace.

If what your saying is true then that's perfect! Lol all I wanted was to take a snivy with me backwards from gen 5 to gen 3. I mean obviously can't transfer but I can "pretend" it's the same as the one in black...sooooo how might I do this? :)

Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2011
Are there currently any tools or tutorials for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team for the Game Boy Advance?

So far, the only tool I've been able to find from the past couple of years (and the only completed tool) has been Sebby's partner changer tool and the only tutorial I've been able to find was something that recommended Sebby's ultimate tool (unfinished, as far as I know) and WordPad (which can't handle files that size and replaces nonstandard characters anyway).
Just letting you all know I'm still here and watching for responses, in case someone knows but was holding back because it looked like I'd given up.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 8, 2014
Alright, I've seen this asked before, but never really answered in a satisfactory way. The question is, how do you make certain characters have certain battle themes in Pokemon Fire Red? As in, you battle a character, and their theme is, say, the Team Rocket battle theme. I have read about this "ASM" method and, frankly, it is very vague, and I am not a godlike hex editor. I'm looking for a simple way to tell the game to play a certain battle theme, or maybe a tool that can do it.

I know simply changing the character's class works in Emerald, but this is not the case in Fire Red. Honestly, I could use Emerald, but the sprite selection is very limited, the tiles are not as good, and all the scripting experience I have is with Fire Red.

I've seen hints that a setvar command could do this, but I don't know what variable to use or what to set it to in that instance. Does anyone know of any way to do this? Please, nothing about how to add in music with Sappy or something, that isn't what I'm looking for. And nothing about that ASM tutorial either. And no, changing the "intro music" value in Advance Trainer has no effect on the -battle- music.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Alright, I've seen this asked before, but never really answered in a satisfactory way. The question is, how do you make certain characters have certain battle themes in Pokemon Fire Red? As in, you battle a character, and their theme is, say, the Team Rocket battle theme. I have read about this "ASM" method and, frankly, it is very vague, and I am not a godlike hex editor. I'm looking for a simple way to tell the game to play a certain battle theme, or maybe a tool that can do it.

I know simply changing the character's class works in Emerald, but this is not the case in Fire Red. Honestly, I could use Emerald, but the sprite selection is very limited, the tiles are not as good, and all the scripting experience I have is with Fire Red.

I've seen hints that a setvar command could do this, but I don't know what variable to use or what to set it to in that instance. Does anyone know of any way to do this? Please, nothing about how to add in music with Sappy or something, that isn't what I'm looking for. And nothing about that ASM tutorial either. And no, changing the "intro music" value in Advance Trainer has no effect on the -battle- music.
ASM is the only way to do it. Every music hack you see with FireRed has ASM. The routine is documented here:
http://sfc.pokefans.net/lesson.php?id=13

Unfortunately since you really don't want to use ASM, I'm afraid there's no way for you to do it.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
New Evolution Stone

I'm having problems with making new stones.
(Im hacking Ruby)
I took the Item spot #92
I changed its name to LINK CABLE
(since you can't trade in a hack and I want to make it as much canon as possible)
Changed its FIELD USAGE to CA229
Changed its description properly
changed Graveler's evolution method to include the "stone"
test with emulator = black screen upon using

what am I doing wrong here!?

Rasen

ASM is very cool!
Years
I'm having problems with making new stones.
(Im hacking Ruby)
I took the Item spot #92
I changed its name to LINK CABLE
(since you can't trade in a hack and I want to make it as much canon as possible)
Changed its FIELD USAGE to CA229
Changed its description properly
changed Graveler's evolution method to include the "stone"
test with emulator = black screen upon using

what am I doing wrong here!?

You can do that only via ASM... I think nobody hasn't done it yet but maybe I'm wrong

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 8, 2014
ASM is the only way to do it. Every music hack you see with FireRed has ASM.

Unfortunately since you really don't want to use ASM, I'm afraid there's no way for you to do it.

Well, how exactly does that -work-? The tutorial is extremely vague and assumes you have knowledge of hex editing, and I just don't. I can insert it fine, sure, that's no problem; I know how to USE a hex editor, I just don't know the terms. Mainly, this line confuses me: "Replace the [XX XX XX XX] by the pointer to the location where you've inserted the long script from above. (For me, it would be F1 FE CF 08)"

How in god's name did he get that as the location? I don't see those numbers anywhere in the tutorial. How do you figure that out? I'm sorry if it's very simple, but, well, I guess that is what the thread it for.

This also confuses me: "The bytes after that location should be 00 F0 A2 FB 01 BC (of the original rom...)"

Does that mean they should already be that way, or that you should change them to that?

That's why I didn't want to use this; it's just really vague, and I'm not a good enough hex editor to understand it, or even any good with hex code. My knowledge on that extends to about when I open the game in Hexecute.

Actually, I don't think I should be using Hexecute at all - I can't even find 1DD0F6 in it at all. Or 1DD10E for that matter. The closest I can get is just those with the last symbol replaced by a 0. Is that the same thing, or what?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
I'm just curious as to if anyone has hacked a copy of red/blue that allows the user to catch/evolve all the pokemon?

Like allowing alakazam/gengar/machamp/golem to evolve by level. To make it where hitmonchan/lee eevee/charmander/bulbasaur/squirtle and the version exclusives were all obtainable.

I want to put such a rom on my phone and I'm pretty clueless when it comes to hex editing and I've been having a hard time getting the gen 1 tools to work.

Years
I have a quick question about Advance Map.

Whenever I make a new map, it always ends up under the the Pallet Town (Fire Red hack) folder, and thus, when I enter said room, it says Pallet Town. How do I make these new maps to go other folders, or a completely new folder?

Also, can I move a map that ended up under the Pallet Town Folder to another folder, and if so how?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I have a quick question about Advance Map.

Whenever I make a new map, it always ends up under the the Pallet Town (Fire Red hack) folder, and thus, when I enter said room, it says Pallet Town. How do I make these new maps to go other folders, or a completely new folder?

Also, can I move a map that ended up under the Pallet Town Folder to another folder, and if so how?

Open the map that you want to move to another folder in Advance Map and enter the Header tab. In the very top left of the tab there will be a drop down bar that has all of the different map names. Select the one which you want to place the map underneath and save your ROM. While it won't immediately show your map in the new folder, if you reload/ refresh he ROM (F5) the map will have moved to it's correct position. I hope that helped :D

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
You can do that only via ASM... I think nobody hasn't done it yet but maybe I'm wrong

If it can help, I used Item Editor and Pokemon Editor.
also, I can't open field usage pointer CA229 in XSE.
If anyone know how to make a new stone work PM me.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Maybe it was unwise for me to put a question below an answer (or maybe nobody knows the answer to my question), but I'll ask again: Does anyone know how to make strength boulders fall down a hole and appear in another map, like in the Seafoam Islands, or activate a script, like in Tanoby Key?

Well, how exactly does that -work-? The tutorial is extremely vague and assumes you have knowledge of hex editing, and I just don't. I can insert it fine, sure, that's no problem; I know how to USE a hex editor, I just don't know the terms. Mainly, this line confuses me: "Replace the [XX XX XX XX] by the pointer to the location where you've inserted the long script from above. (For me, it would be F1 FE CF 08)"

How in god's name did he get that as the location? I don't see those numbers anywhere in the tutorial. How do you figure that out? I'm sorry if it's very simple, but, well, I guess that is what the thread it for.

This also confuses me: "The bytes after that location should be 00 F0 A2 FB 01 BC (of the original rom...)"

Does that mean they should already be that way, or that you should change them to that?

That's why I didn't want to use this; it's just really vague, and I'm not a good enough hex editor to understand it, or even any good with hex code. My knowledge on that extends to about when I open the game in Hexecute.

Actually, I don't think I should be using Hexecute at all - I can't even find 1DD0F6 in it at all. Or 1DD10E for that matter. The closest I can get is just those with the last symbol replaced by a 0. Is that the same thing, or what?

Learning Hex might be better, but I'll give you a brief overview of a few things. The "location" (the XX XX XX XX) is the offset of the big chunk of code first presented in the tutorial. Hex editors work strangely, and have a funny way of pointing to an offset. For example, in the tutorial, the code begins at CFFEF0 (if you use your browsers "find" feature, type in CFFEF0 to see what im talking about). To transform it into something the hex editor reads, you first add one to the offset (to become CFFEF1), then break it up into chunks of two (CF FE F1) then put a 08 at the beginning (08 CF FE F1). Then, just write the four chunks "backward", in this case being F1 FE CF 08. It's somewhat confusing, I admit, but it's the way it works.

The second thing I can address is the Hexecute thing. Most Hex editors show sixteen sets of two numbers, each chunk of two being one 'byte'. The numbers on the right of the Hex editor usually go in groups of hexidecimal 16 (if you don't know hexidecimal, you should look it up). Pretend your first byte is at 800000. the second byte is 800001, the third byte is 800002, until you get to 80000F, when it goes to the next line. Your hex editor, I presume, can only find the offsets ending with a '0'. so, 1DD0F6 would be on the line with 1DD0F0, and the seventh byte on that line. Sorry if this is incredibly confusing, but then again, hex editing is.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 8, 2011
I need some help with Hex editing, which I've never done before. I'm following the guide here (Crystal level-up moves and evolution), and I ran into an issue very quickly. I can get to offset 425b1, but from there...how do I follow these pointers? How does this lead me to the data I want to change?

If I'm understanding this correctly, 425b1 points to Bulbasaur, 425b4 points to Charmander, and so on?

To be frank I'm completely lost here.

EDIT: Oh, right, can't post urls yet. Well, I'm following the guide on Skeetendo regarding editing level-up moves and evolution that Sawakita linked to on page 801.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Quick quezzie, before I actually get to work again. Where's the 'safe' free space in Emerald again? I've kinda... forgetted. Heh.

I use 0x9c1000 through 0xafffff. There also appears to be a significant chunk of free space near the end of the ROM but I don't know which parts of it are safe and which aren't.

cbd98

A bouquet of oopsie dasies
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2021
Quick question. Spinda has upwards of about 200 something sprites (according to Seribii) so if I edit the sprite in NSE how many of those 200 something sprites would I actually be changing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back