• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hidden Gem Pokemon

Years
Relicanth:
PROS:
Strong Defense
Somewhat Powerful ATK
Fast Speed
Cons:
Weak Defense
Low Move Pool
Ugly

Furret:
PROS:
Very Powerful Attack
Very Fast Speed
Can Injure Ghosts
Has Either Frisk or Keen Eye (RA useless)
Sturdy Against Non-Ubers
Great against ghost types
Cute
CONS:
Will Die Immediately Against Ubers Unless Giga Impact Fully Works
Giga Impact Is Its Best Move, Yet Sometimes It Does Little Damage And Requires A Turn To Charge

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Relicanth:
PROS:
Strong Defense
Somewhat Powerful ATK
Fast Speed
Cons:
Weak Defense
Low Move Pool
Ugly

Furret:
PROS:
Very Powerful Attack
Very Fast Speed
Can Injure Ghosts
Has Either Frisk or Keen Eye (RA useless)
Sturdy Against Non-Ubers
Great against ghost types
Cute
CONS:
Will Die Immediately Against Ubers Unless Giga Impact Fully Works
Giga Impact Is Its Best Move, Yet Sometimes It Does Little Damage And Requires A Turn To Charge
There are too many problems I see in this post, which I'll break up by Pokemon:

Relicanth:
1. Relicanth is slow as all hell at base 50 Speed. Why are you calling it fast?

2. Relicanth has base 100 HP and base 130 Defense. That's very physically bulky, if you ask me. Then again, its common weaknesses let it down.

3. Relicanth's move pool is decent. It can use recoil-free Head Smashes in conjunction with Rock Head, as well as use Waterfall for a good physical Water STAB. Water and Rock have reasonably good coverage together, so I don't see move pool being an issue.

4. Tyrantrum does Rock Head + Head Smash abuse much better because it's stronger (and faster) and doesn't suffer from a 4x weakness.

5. Design has nothing to do with how well a Pokemon performs.

Furret:

1. Furret's base Attack is 76. That's rather weak by competitive standards.

2. Furret's base Speed is 90. That's its only saving grace, but it's still not that fast.

3. While it's true that Furret can hit Ghosts supereffectively with Sucker Punch, some can simply burn it with Will-o-Wisp instead (Sucker Punch fails when the opponent isn't about to use an offensive move).

3.5. Furret learns more types of moves than just Normal and Dark moves, rendering the "gift" to hit Ghosts moot, since other types besides Fighting and Normal can hit Ghost Pokemon somehow. This applies to just about every Normal Pokemon out there.

4. Keen Eye is useless, as accuracy-reducing moves are nonexistent in competitive battling. Frisk is an alright ability for scouting purposes, though, but it's not too game-breaking.

5. Furret is frail in general. A good percentage of non-Ubers with a decently high Attack/Special Attack can hit it very hard, especially Fighting Pokemon.

6. Giga Impact and its variants are terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad attacks. Though its true that they're very strong, they leave the user a sitting duck the next turn, and Furret's frailty doesn't help in that regard.

6.5. The last con and the first pro seem to contradict each other. You say that Furret is powerful, yet you say that Giga Impact is weak at times.

7. Furret is outclassed by the many Normal Pokemon out there. To name a couple: Diggersby is a Com Mon rodent that hits insanely hard with Huge Power-backed attacks. Mega Lopunny can hit Ghosts with its Normal and Fighting moves thanks to Scrappy.

Just so this post has meaning:

I'm going to name Mega Gallade as one of my hidden gems. While it's one of my favorite Pokemon, I understand that it's not the most practical Mega Evolution to use in standard play. It faces competition with Mega Medicham, true, as Medicham can hit harder off the bat thanks to Pure Power. However, Mega Gallade is bulkier (somewhat on the physical end, significantly on the special end). Mega Gallade also has a somewhat easier time against Ghost and Psychic Pokemon thanks to its access to Knock Off (also doubles as utility for removing non-Mega Stone items in general; the exceptions here are very bulky Ghosts and Psychics, like Mega Sableye and (Mega) Slowbro, which Gallade and Medicham both struggle with). It's also faster than Mega Medicham, meaning it can outspeed Keldeo and Terrakion and eliminate them with any of its STABs. It can at least tie with base 110 Speed such as the Latis and Gengar, as well. It won't have that Speed right away, though, as it has to deal with its average 80 Speed on the Mega Evolving turn (meaning that it has to Mega Evolve on a predicted switch).

Mega Gallade has its flaws all right, but it can be effective once it gets going.

Last edited:
Years
There are too many problems I see in this post, which I'll break up by Pokemon:

Relicanth:
1. Relicanth is slow as all hell at base 50 Speed. Why are you calling it fast?

2. Relicanth has base 100 HP and base 130 Defense. That's very physically bulky, if you ask me. Then again, its common weaknesses let it down.

3. Relicanth's move pool is decent. It can use recoil-free Head Smashes in conjunction with Rock Head, as well as use Waterfall for a good physical Water STAB. Water and Rock have reasonably good coverage together, so I don't see move pool being an issue.

4. Tyrantrum does Rock Head + Head Smash abuse much better because it's stronger (and faster) and doesn't suffer from a 4x weakness.

5. Design has nothing to do with how well a Pokemon performs.

Furret:

1. Furret's base Attack is 76. That's rather weak by competitive standards.

2. Furret's base Speed is 90. That's its only saving grace, but it's still not that fast.

3. While it's true that Furret can hit Ghosts supereffectively with Sucker Punch, some can simply burn it with Will-o-Wisp instead (Sucker Punch fails when the opponent isn't about to use an offensive move).

3.5. Furret learns more types of moves than just Normal and Dark moves, rendering the "gift" to hit Ghosts moot, since other types besides Fighting and Normal can hit Ghost Pokemon somehow. This applies to just about every Normal Pokemon out there.

4. Keen Eye is useless, as accuracy-reducing moves are nonexistent in competitive battling. Frisk is an alright ability for scouting purposes, though, but it's not too game-breaking.

5. Furret is frail in general. A good percentage of non-Ubers with a decently high Attack/Special Attack can hit it very hard, especially Fighting Pokemon.

6. Giga Impact and its variants are terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad attacks. Though its true that they're very strong, they leave the user a sitting duck the next turn, and Furret's frailty doesn't help in that regard.

6.5. The last con and the first pro seem to contradict each other. You say that Furret is powerful, yet you say that Giga Impact is weak at times.

7. Furret is outclassed by the many Normal Pokemon out there. To name a couple: Diggersby is a Com Mon rodent that hits insanely hard with Huge Power-backed attacks. Mega Lopunny can hit Ghosts with its Normal and Fighting moves thanks to Scrappy.

Just so this post has meaning:

I'm going to name Mega Gallade as one of my hidden gems. While it's one of my favorite Pokemon, I understand that it's not the most practical Mega Evolution to use in standard play. It faces competition with Mega Medicham, true, as Medicham can hit harder off the bat thanks to Pure Power. However, Mega Gallade is bulkier (somewhat on the physical end, significantly on the special end). Mega Gallade also has a somewhat easier time against Ghost and Psychic Pokemon thanks to its access to Knock Off (also doubles as utility for removing non-Mega Stone items in general; the exceptions here are very bulky Ghosts and Psychics, like Mega Sableye and (Mega) Slowbro, which Gallade and Medicham both struggle with). It's also faster than Mega Medicham, meaning it can outspeed Keldeo and Terrakion and eliminate them with any of its STABs. It can at least tie with base 110 Speed such as the Latis and Gengar, as well. It won't have that Speed right away, though, as it has to deal with its average 80 Speed on the Mega Evolving turn (meaning that it has to Mega Evolve on a predicted switch).

Mega Gallade has its flaws all right, but it can be effective once it gets going.

I've just been playing against slow pokes I guess, because relicanth kept going fast and enduring hits. Furret is frail, but he does take out a few smaller ubers. But thanks for the info, and you're right.

Years
I would say an offensive rotom-wash is a hidden gem. Mostly because everyone runs the defensive set, but with HP ice, hydro, tbolt you can actually put in a lot of work. Plus you can run either a max SpA and Spe or a bulkier one with max HP max SpA and can still be effective. You can OHKO landos and chomp with HP ice and surprise a few other dragons with it as well. Its something unexpected and could surprise your opponent having to deal with this pokemon and his only 1 weakness.

Also, relicanth can actually be pretty fast. If you have swift swim and in the rain he will become pretty fast with base 110 speed now cuz of this (originally base 55 speed). Ive seen someone use this with an armaldo and it worked okay. Might not be a sound strategy but could explain why you see him as a fast poke.

Also, a specially defensive mega-gallade can be hidden gem as well. With drain punch, knock off, will-o-wisp, and bulk up 252 HP 252 Special def you can wreckt house with a bulk up or 2. I have used this and it actually works really well probs better in doubles tho.

Sayuri

人生忘れられた
Years
I would say an offensive rotom-wash is a hidden gem. Mostly because everyone runs the defensive set, but with HP ice, hydro, tbolt you can actually put in a lot of work. Plus you can run either a max SpA and Spe or a bulkier one with max HP max SpA and can still be effective. You can OHKO landos and chomp with HP ice and surprise a few other dragons with it as well. Its something unexpected and could surprise your opponent having to deal with this pokemon and his only 1 weakness.

I have to agree with this. I ran the following set to good success in '15.
Spoiler:

I invested fully in HP to get as much bulk in that aspect as possible. The SpA EVs allow it to OHKO Mega Charizard Y with Thunderbolt, among many other things that threatened my teams that I used this set on. I dumped the rest of the EVs into Speed to get a little extra mileage on some other Poke's.

Even though more people have been trying to use Meowstic in VGC, I still think it has more potential than other people give it credit for. It has access to a large supportive movepool and has decent bulk to support it. Pure Psychic-typing may not be the best defensively, but with full HP and Defense EVs, it can survive a lot of attacks and do everything it needs to.

Years
Bronzong <3

As far as offences go, it often gets overlooked in favour of Jirachi and Metagross - which make sense, they crap all over it offensively. However it's a solid defensive mon, a decent check to the aforementioned metagross and if it catches you off guard can cause a surprising amount of trouble.

Curse Cradily also deserves a mention.

Back