• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: General Roleplay Discussion Thread "the RPD" (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023

Roleplay Discussion Thread

It's time for a new year and a new thread! There wasn't much conversation happening, so I thought it would be best to do it now. The locked, old discussion thread can still be found here but it will gradually drift down the forum - so nows your chance for a final read! It's been over 5 years now (and almost 400 pages), so time to start fresh.

What can I do here?

• If you have any questions regarding Roleplay, post them here!
  • You can also solicit members for your roleplay in here, or gauge the level of interest in a potential plot idea.
  • General discussion about on-going roleplays, likes/dislikes and your roleplaying habit.

Just keep in mind...
  • Please keep all conversations on-topic and please do not post unnecessarily!
  • If you are advertising your roleplay, please keep 48 hours in-between your advertising posts.
  • If you've any ideas for a plot and would like others to help you flesh out your idea, head to the Official Planning & Review thread instead!

(Members are encouraged to answer questions, but avoid mini-modding and nitpicking - it's safe to say that Magic and Adventure never sleeps.)​

QUESTIONTIME said:
How did you discover/start role playing? What do you like/dislike about roleplaying?
- Cayo

How do you all deal with the feeling of defeat and failure in RPs?
- Deceptio

What is the process you go through when creating a new RP?
- Dansparce

2qi4juw.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Oh my, I was starting to think this would never happen. RIP the old lovely thread ;;

Do you enjoy writing sign-up sheets?
I do, actually. Sometimes they are pain and drawn out, and I know many people who downright hate writing them. But I have developed strategies for making characters I feel comfortable with and who don't feel too, hm, crafted. At least in my eyes. Their history must make sense in regards to their personality. Or the other way around, preferably. I also like css-ing it up a bit sometimes.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
First of all, huzzah! Whoo! Let's bust out the champagne oh wait I'm not of age yet sshhh and celebrate a fresh start!
Spoiler:

Firsties
Secondsies! (Curse you, Red's...)

How many RPs are you part of right now? How many of them do you GM?
I currently GM SOULBOND, but I have some other secret plans in the future. I made a character for that, I have two characters in SAO: Sanctuary (technically three... Technically), another in Youkai Academy, and one for Fallout 2 (because she was in the original and it wouldn't be the same without her!)

tl:dr; 1 GM'd. 4 RP'd. 6 Characters.

Do you prefer sandbox roleplays or more structured roleplays? Why?
Both types really seem to have their merits. PTA has been quite a marvel, going almost entirely sandbox (with a very light plot that sort of watches over you like a giant moon with a scary face). Though following a structure us fun too. I suppose it depends on the theme/series, how many people there are... A lot of things really. But the best type of RP seems to be when the perfect mixture is found.

I enjoy writing the sheets, especially when it's a character I can get excited about (Like how I'm bringing back Amethyst). I only ever complain about the effort of writing them. Come to think of it, I complain a lot about pointless things that don't actually bother me much.

Geras

Roleplayer
Years
Ooh, new thread!

How many RPs are you a part of right now? How many of them do you GM?
-I am present in 6 RPs. I GM one of them but I only have proper characters in the other 5.

-Honestly, on the balance of freedom and structure I prefer roleplays that lean a little toward structure. One of my favorite RPs was Reapers: Keepers of the Balance, a mission-style RP where characters were given complete freedom in how the mission was carried out and even whether or not they do complete it. The one-goal sort of structure made it easier and more enjoyable to come up with what came in between the beginning and end of each mission, as opposed to the aimlessness of a sandbox. So I guess if a structured roleplay were a road and a sandbox roleplay were an open field I'd prefer a wide road with many lanes. If that makes any sense.

-Yes, very much so. I usually spend days mulling it over and slowly building a character in my mind, so when I am finally finished I feel quite satisfied with this character I've created. I also like having something to think about when I'm not doing anything.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
One of my favorite RPs was Reapers: Keepers of the Balance, a mission-style RP where characters were given complete freedom in how the mission was carried out and even whether or not they do complete it. The one-goal sort of structure made it easier and more enjoyable to come up with what came in between the beginning and end of each mission, as opposed to the aimlessness of a sandbox. So I guess if a structured roleplay were a road and a sandbox roleplay were an open field I'd prefer a wide road with many lanes. If that makes any sense.
Totally makes sense. I sort of regret not joining that RP, because it seemed really enjoyable.

A wish I have is for a RP with that structure to be based on the Mass Effect universe. :> Just gotta play through all three games first. But already somewhere in the middle of the first game, I can imagine how it could be made into a good RP.

Greiger

A mad mind... hehe
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 1, 2023
New threads are awesomeiest threads. xD

I am a part of four, none of them are GM positions because I need way more training before I even try to be a GM again.

It depends on my mood mostly. With PTA I like the sandbox structure because there are so many other players to work off of. If you don't have that much variety then the sandbox can easily fall flat, similar to online sandbox games. I do admit I enjoy structured rps more mainly because there is a plot, sometimes a mystery, and I enjoy finding out about that mystery.

Eh.... sometimes. I like getting an idea about my character in my head yes, but I absolutely DETEST the appearance section. I can do everything else just fine, but I need to write two paragraphs describing my character in exact details!? I find that just tedious and I like the idea of only posting a picture, but seriously, you want me to describe his exact clothes and every inch of his body even though no one will ever remember every single detail? Yeah, no thanks.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
none of them are GM positions because I need way more training before I even try to be a GM again.
If I recall correctly that it really was yours, you were great GMing in that RP of which I have forgotten the name but there were rebels with technology and soldiers without it and I played a Weavile and had loads of fun making morally challenging decisions before I got too busy or something. I think you should remake that :3 Only way to get better is to practice the thing you want to get better at, after all.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Greiger - I agree with you on the appearance bit! It can be a bit tedious, especially if their appearance changes - I mean, they're not very likely to have the same, fixed haircut and wear the exact same clothes. I don't know how people manage to write so much :P.

You could definitely give GM-ing a go if you get a good idea. I think I GM'd here on pokecommunity before really joining any roleplays - at least you've had more training than me! :D

Years
So much love for Reapers xD
I have to get on to doing more RPs set in that universe.

I don't really have a preference I guess, if they are well executed and fun the type doesn't really matter to me. In saying that though, sandbox RPs fail when there's not enough characters and interaction and even in a more sandbox RP I prefer to have some sort of goal to work towards in the long run. So structured RPs are easier to make successfully I guess, the problem is when you get so structured it becomes restrictive.

Usually in my own RPs I try to create a structured format to follow whilst still leaving how the events and outcomes of a chapter go to the players so they still get plenty of creative freedom (like with how I ran Reapers).

I actually really do enjoy writing sign-up sheets. One of the most fun parts of RPing for me is watching as my character gradually comes to life. I really enjoy piecing my characters together and trying to find fitting talents, quirks, histories and whatnot. Usually it starts with a single minor idea for one aspect of the SU and then develops out further and it's just a lot of fun for me to do that.

@Grieger - I've never been in an RP GM'd by you but I'm pretty confident you'd do fine. You're a good roleplayer and good roleplayers seem to make good GMs too from what I have seen.

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016

2! None, I'll try GMing at a later date.

More structured, but with the chance to do our own thing in-between. I don't really like sandbox because then everyone just does whatever and there's about zero character interaction and for me to join a roleplay there must be character interaction.

Yes/No. I love, love, love appearance sections. Ugh, if there was an SU with only doing the an appearance section then I'd love it. Seriously, sometimes I think I make my appearance section a bit too long, but that's okay.

Meanwhile, I hate history. For the most part I don't see the point in making a history, especially a specific one. Most of the time 90% of what's in the history has little to do (or nothing) with the RP. I know it's a tool to help people decide on their character's life, but I, personally, don't need that. Anything that's of importance will come out through my character. I don't like when people assume things of my character because of what happened in their history. This is why I don't read people's histories because, like I said, if there's anything that's relevant to that character and the RPer will share it through the course of the RP.

Khawill

<3
Years
Meanwhile, I hate history. For the most part I don't see the point in making a history, especially a specific one. Most of the time 90% of what's in the history has little to do (or nothing) with the RP. I know it's a tool to help people decide on their character's life, but I, personally, don't need that. Anything that's of importance will come out through my character. I don't like when people assume things of my character because of what happened in their history. This is why I don't read people's histories because, like I said, if there's anything that's relevant to that character and the RPer will share it through the course of the RP.

So much this, I absolutely can't understand why history is a needed area. No character should know what your character's history is, so it has no use interaction wise. Often back stories are thought of and developed as the RP goes on, so history as one is making the character (when said person knows very little about their character btw) causes grounds for plot holes. Also I find it to be slightly redundant, as a lot of the personality section serves many jobs I see the history section does.

Granted I can see where history can be an important section. The Sword Art Online RP would be an excellent example, the character backstory is fairly central to how they ended up in the game, why they make certain choices, etc. Youkai and Pokemon Trainer Academy, not so much. Yes history could be helpful for explaining the character's personality, but most of the time it is a fairly useless section. Especially since the players are supposed to be kids who in reality have very little history or important moments to begin with. Specifically with kids, I think it creates a lot of cliches or overused plot character archetypes.

Tl:dr History should be optional for: RPs having kids as the main character (exception to Fallout where the kids' lives would be fairly eventful due to the world), RPs that are sandbox, and RPs with little use for it. An example of an RP that I would see as not needing a history section would be my latest RP (that isn't up anymore) where almost every character would have had the same history in the first place.

I also dislike the personality section, due to my preference for doing character development in the RP itself and having others interpret the character, but I could see the need for the personality section. It gives direction (more so than the history) and a reference point. Also some people in real life can actually tell another person's personality just by looking at them, so there is reason to have the personality posted up. Still, I feel personality sections could be less emphasized, and often enough just a few words can be used to summarize a character (and still not have the character be shallow or stereotypical). For example in YA Frio can be summarized as: Stupid, Powerful, Devoted, Reckless. With those four words I could come up with several characters that are nothing like Frio, yet have the same basis.

I would also like to point out something else that should be emphasized. Evolving SUs. I'm pretty sure most of us constantly refer to SUs to get information about a character that we forgot or want to know. But very often SUs are outdated, as characters get more developed. I feel like too much work often goes into the first SU that never gets used, and then a lot of development goes into the actual game, moving the character into a completely new (or maybe not so new) direction. I feel like the SU should be updated or reported every once in a while to convey key changes in a character.

What if Dante in the Divine Comedy just stayed exactly the same throughout the entire epic? Not only would the story be bad, but the plot would get nowhere because he would spend most of his time faining at the sight of famous dead people, or monsters. (In the Divine Comedy btw there is very little in terms of explaining the history of Dante)

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
As you might have seen in my latest roleplays, I usually leave the history and personality blank, leaving the more obvious sections available; appearance, for others to refer to, name (for obvious reasons) and roleplay sample.

Sometimes I am wary about leaving out a history or a personality section because I dislike those sappy characters with the tragic backstory that is completely unbelievable especially when they have somehow become a black belt, a master psychologist and know how to properly handle a gun when they've been an orphan all their life and they're only 16.

But I truly believe the most important part is the roleplay sample. Because you can write a post length and express personality and sometimes history (depending on the situation) as well as your experience level all in one swoop. I never realised how truly important they were until now. Because how well you can write can be exceptionally helpful in determining if I want to play with you or not.

But sometimes, when your characters place in the RP is important, personality and history can be important. Again, the 14 year olds who are secret agents and part of the mafia but are now homeless are really the kind of characters that get on your nerves in a bad way. ):

Three?? I think? Apollo, MAO and Atlantis. And I GM two of them!!

Both. Story is what pulls me, so as long as you have it, I want it.

Noooo I just want to jump in and play ):

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
Personally I'm part of 5 RPs currently. I GM 3 of them and 3 of them are on this site. Admittedly, 2 aren't being posted in actively right now.

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
Years
I miss that old thread.

-I am present in 3 roleplays now.

Last edited:

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
Yaaayyy new rdt wooo

Part of three, and one of them I don't have a character in it but I am co-GMing.
However there is a certain Extravaganza coming up very soon hehehe

Well... I prefer structure rather more than sandbox. Though I love the idea of being able to do whatever the hell I want I've found out that I quickly get over-saturated with ideas on what to do and then I just crumble and not post because too many ideas. But like Skymin said I prefer story over anything when it comes to joining a RP.

God no. I just want to get writing already.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
Four if I remember correctly although none of them are on Pokécommunity. I am not the GM in any of them, sadly, although I have a plan for a roleplay which I may or may not post up here soon. I should really get back into the roleplaying community on this website. It's been so long. :c

Both have their merits although I think I prefer a more structured roleplay. A goal for the players to work towards rather than having the characters follow their nose and desperately try to liven up the day. Of course personal drives should always have an impact on the story and can really turn it on its head but I think it tends to work better as a complimentary aspect. Player choice in a structured roleplay is lovely.

Yes, actually. Sometimes I'll come across a part of a character sheet that seems to drag on forever but for the most part it's enjoyable. I love constructing worlds and individuals.

To throw in my two cents on the character sheet skeleton debate, I tend to avoid personality categories. I do think the history section is important, sometimes if only to gauge how well the roleplayer writes and can contribute to the story, but I think the personality section is unnecessary. The history/biography section should give you a rough idea as to their mentality and having to write out a section specifically about how they act makes me feel claustrophobic about my characters; as if I can't deviate from what I've written. As such, whenever I make roleplays I tend to leave this piece out.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
NOTICE:

Due to a lot of drama going on in my family and to my sudden decission of dropping out of University, moving to London and taking life in my own hands (got my flight in 2 weeks), I won't be able to get on PC much. I'll be selling my desktop to have some pocket money when I leave and it's gonna take a while for me to get my hands on a laptop. So, for now, my RPing will be put on hold as my only means to get online would be my phone. So, hopefully I'll have wi-fi over where I move so I can at least use my phone to check things out, but I can't promise anything.

I won't go into details, but, things are really bad if it took me 1 day to decide to leave, not just my family's home, but the country, to take my life in my own hands.

I'm gonna miss you guys and I'll do my best to keep in touch.

Oh and Johto Mysteries people, don't fret! I shall leave Genesis a PM with the upcoming chapters of the RP so he can keep posting. I'll also do my best to get my current JP over with and post the next chapter before I leave.

Years
Shame to see you go, albeit temporarily. Hopefully everything settles for you soon and we see you back here soon enough. Best of luck to you Dementia! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back