• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think the News will be on the 8th of January?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
  • The Pokémon Company got to be able to test the Nintendo 3DS in it's very early prototype stage, this could've been handed down to Game Freak... but we can't be sure if they did or not.
  • The new Genesect movie has announced Genesect's Flying Forme, which has not been programmed in Black Version 2 and White Version 2.
First point, Gamefreak were one of the first to get the Kit and they have already made a 3DS game using it.

Second Point, there was no official announcement about a Genesect alternate form. It can change to the UFO thing, but the Movies NEVER follow form changes to the T and some even get form changes that do not exist.

Golurk retracts its arms and legs and sprouts rocket looking appendages.

Deoxys can revert back into the gemstone to rest and can freeky switch between its forms.

Kyurem can freely switch between its forms.

Cryogonal is said to have an alternate form that was never shown.

Even though it has been shown to take that UFO form, it was never said that that is an actual form. Its just a way that the Pokemon travels when flying.

For Generation VI, we're really talking about the 3DS now. Even though Game Freak did say that they'd stick to sprites as long as they can, they can't anymore now that the 3DS is out. It would be really hard to give the 3D depth if the characters were still sprites, so they would have to be 3D or it would ruin the concept... Game Freak has no choice. All the Pokémon in the game would have to be 3D models, 'cause they had some 3D models in the scenes in HeartGold, SoulSilver, Black, White, Black 2 and White 2. But this time... I'm sure they'd make everything 3D.

Paper Mario is still using flat images for their game. The characters are Paper and look like they can be rendered sprites even though they are rendered images. The 3DS can use Sprite artwork and still keep 3D function.

Years
I'm guessing it'll be 6th generation, due to the rumors of a new eeveelution. Also, I doubt it'll be r/s remakes, as pokemon already atoned to that with all the hoenn pokemon in BW2 and the ability to get the main legendaries in HG/SS, etc.

Also, I just really want it to be 6th gen! :D

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
Why would they do that? To allow you to catch the same Sinnoh Pokémon you can transfer from DPPt?

That being said, they could add a nice post-game area like the one in Platinum.

Did new areas in HGSS only include the ability to catch other Pokemon? Did they not introduce things like the Pokeathlon? It's not all about pokemon availability because they could just as easily add in some new minigame type areas, etc. to the islands in the original Hoenn map that were of course inaccessible at the time/had no use/were just there.

The Sinnoh Dex in DP actually has very few Johto Pokémon. They added more in Platinum, but it was mostly the ones who got evolutions in 4th gen. You can get more Johto Pokémon after you beat the game, but the point of a remake is to use the region's Pokémon during the main story, which you couldn't in DP because they simply weren't available.

The point you're making applies to 3rd gen remakes as well. You don't need to, as the absolute majority of the Hoenn Pokémon is catchable in DPPt/HGSS, but you can transfer all of Hoenn's Pokémon all the way to 5th gen games by transferring them to a 4th gen game, then once again to a 5th gen one.

And I'm pretty sure FRLG were made only because you couldn't catch Kanto Pokémon in RS (I think it was also the 10th anniversary of the franchise but I'm not sure). There was even basic stuff like Pidgey and Rattata which weren't available in RS without a cheat device prior to the release of FRLG.

I think his point was more that so many people use that as an excuse for why HGSS was made when, in reality, all pokes(including Johto) were perfectly obtainable in gen III with FrLg and RSE(aside from a few legends but they were still obtainable in events, etc.) so it really is rather poor excuse to justify HGSS being remade. What's funny though is how the same people who used that also flipped it when the same reasoning was brought up for RSE remakes(even though it really has little to do with anything).

Paper Mario is still using flat images for their game. The characters are Paper and look like they can be rendered sprites even though they are rendered images. The 3DS can use Sprite artwork and still keep 3D function.

One tricky thing about that would be the battle animations because I really can't see that fitting with something along the line of PM's style of using flat images in a 3D world(unless they would just scrap the animations but that would be a step back imo if they were to continue in a 2D way seeing as how much more interesting it makes them; it's also kind of disturbing to think of a 3D battle field with paper cut-outs of Pokemon, haha, at least imo). Unlike others who seem to like the idea, I also would find it extremely awkward to constantly swap back and forth from an overworld of sprites to full 3D battles.

I'm sure Game Freak would be clever enough to come up with a compromise, it's just one of those 'have to see it' things though. :D

Last edited:

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
One tricky thing about that would be the battle animations because I really can't see that fitting with something along the line of PM's style of using flat images in a 3D world(unless they would just scrap the animations but that would be a step back imo if they were to continue in a 2D way seeing as how much more interesting it makes them; it's also kind of disturbing to think of a 3D battle field with paper cut-outs of Pokemon, haha, at least imo). Unlike others who seem to like the idea, I also would find it extremely awkward to constantly swap back and forth from an overworld of sprites to full 3D battles.

I'm sure Game Freak would be clever enough to come up with a compromise, it's just one of those 'have to see it' things though. :D
Speaking about Paper Mario games, they are indeed games with animated flat polygon sprites. But they are deliberately made by Intelligent Systems Co. Ltd. for a paper-like gameplay because the game is based on a stage and story, not a real world. If you've played Paper Mario: Sticker Star... I'm sure you'll notice that most things are either paper with origami-style folding when battling, like when a Koopa attacks with it's shell for instance, and not to also mention... that there's 3D models of coins which are made to look like cardboard coins.

But of course... your point exactly. Why would Game Freak ever decide to make a Pokémon game with paper characters on an advanced 3D system? It's understandable why they did it on the Nintendo DS, due to ROM size limitations and graphical lag when making everything 3D. But now we have the 3DS, which now developers can freely have as many as a million 3D objects on the map, as well as ROM sizes can end up going as large as 8 GB, which is even more than the Wii itself.

Btw does anyone know what time the big news will be made tomorrow?

I'm not sure, sorry. The announcement will be made when they announce it, they won't set a time for it, but you think about when they revealed Snivy, Tepig and Oshawott on the English Pokémon website and how we had to keep refreshing the page. It's exactly the same, they're owned by The Pokémon Company, only difference is that the English Pokémon website is owned by The Pokémon Company International which is owned by the Japanese TPC.

blue

gucci
Years
This is how I think it will go, Japan are 9 Hours ahead of where I am (UK) So if they were to make the announcement at 12PM on the 8th Jan that would be 3AM over here and 10PM in US but that would mean it would be the 7th for US so I'm not entirely sure.

PokéZoom

~Gotta Catch Em All
Years
I was originally predicting a spin-off, but it seems so big that it's got to be a new main series title. I'm now predicting either Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald remakes or Generation VI.

As for when they announce it, I'd like it to be midnight... But I doubt it will be.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Perhaps it will be a Pokemon Snap sequel that uses the DS camera, haha. I'd actually love something like that!

Altius

Flygon Fan
Years
I'm going to go with 8AM Japan time (which is 7AM here). I seriously doubt they will do a reveal at midnight.

EDIT:
Shyt just got real.

F897D041-06D9-4A34-A79C-BC0C9E4DF1D1-32743-000013A071872461-1.jpg

996BF6BA-5856-424B-A7EE-6F0D8FCF008D-32743-000013A0A557D987.jpg

Even Mr Masuda is posting about it.
This has got to be game related.

Last edited:

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
Well I HOPE they can...well that's impossible, but they said it will be a BIG announcement right? What if they plan to make a Ruby Sapphire remake, and a feature that let's you explore EVERY region, just like in Johto you explore Kanto.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
A game with all regions would never work though. The level system would be so messed up.

The level system? Who cares about the level system, you can't defeat a pokemon level 100? They can make maximum lv.88. But your right, then why not having at least one region? I think they should make Hoeen and you can explore Sinnoh or Johto.

Years
There's no way they could fit every region into a single game cart. It'll be restricted to one region and only, and it'll be Hoenn, more than likely.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
1. Eevee is the Evolution Pokémon. Gamefreak says they want to evolve the series in 2013.
2. Eevee all over recent promotional campaigns and anime
3. North American Twitter just asked "How many possible evolutions of Eevee are there?" May be trick question alluding to new Eeveelution
4. Announcement on January 8th, possibly announcing 8th Eeveelution

Ooooooohh.

You're so right. So ultimately the 6th Generation is signaled.

blue

gucci
Years
Yeah, looks like the announcement is at 11PM CET so that's 6AM for US & 8PM for Japan. The Nintendo Direct Session is for 10 minutes long so it's possible that they could reveal something after the announcement i.e Mascots or even a trailer, especially if Mausda is making an appearance.

Last edited:

Altius

Flygon Fan
Years

blue

gucci
Years
Has anyone seen this yet?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46058718&postcount=509

Donno if it's true or completely made up but parts of it are completely viable at least. The Eevee thing... notsomuch.

Yeah, I've seen a couple of these; I'd say it's fake. There was another user coming up with a completely different "story" so it just validates the likeliness of these things happening before a global announcement. Anyone can put convincing words together and make up something like that if they put their mind to it but it doesn't mean it's true.

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
I'm just so psyched about the Pokémon Direct stream, I'm want it to happen!
Just waiting in my room in anxiousness, it starts in 20 hours, I think I'm crazy. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back