• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which browser sucks?

Years
If you going to say IE, please provide a legitimate reason. Saying it's slow and clunky, and doesn't have a good rendering engine is complete ********. Learn to use IE9/10, and then come back and provide an answer... and that answer would be that it's great.

Using the same adjectives, I'll assume you we're referring to my post. I was agreeing with you and referring to Opera. IE9 is fine. The rest of the post should clarify that.

I will add that, while I love Chrome for other platforms, it's rather poor for iOS. Apart from being slow (and having a fat address bar in view CONSTANTLY) it tends to have poor memory management, especially on the iPad, where I can only assume the pages take up more memory due to the massive resolution. This means that if you have more than a few tabs open, they will reload if you switch away from them because it can't hold all of the tabs simultaneously. The same goes for Incognito mode - it reloads the tabs when you switch modes. Safari doesn't suffer from this.

droomph

weeb
Years
All the browsers are pretty much the same in my opinion, but the one that I've had the worst experience with is Google Chrome on my MacBook tbh.

...it's freaking 3 GB guys

Zet

Years
Using the same adjectives, I'll assume you we're referring to my post. I was agreeing with you and referring to Opera. IE9 is fine. The rest of the post should clarify that.

I will add that, while I love Chrome for other platforms, it's rather poor for iOS. Apart from being slow (and having a fat address bar in view CONSTANTLY) it tends to have poor memory management, especially on the iPad, where I can only assume the pages take up more memory due to the massive resolution. This means that if you have more than a few tabs open, they will reload if you switch away from them because it can't hold all of the tabs simultaneously. The same goes for Incognito mode - it reloads the tabs when you switch modes. Safari doesn't suffer from this.
I was talking to everyone hating on it just because it's "IE". I was actually happy to see someone agree that IE9 is fine. :D

Years
Years
Well it'd depend on certain variables, like what operating system you're using and what version of whatever browser. For example like donj said safari is pretty badly coded on windows, and I'm not sure if this is still applicable but I know that chrome used to cause kernel panics on macs for whatever reason.
It's also pretty well known now that the older versions of IE are pretty atrocious, the newer versions aren't that bad but they still have a few bugs/features that get on my nerves. Like the fact that each tab shows as a new window on the windows 7 task bar.

Actually IE9 blocks 96.6% of malware, while firefox and chrome block under 5% of malware.

http://www.neowin.net/news/study-ie9-blocks-more-malware-than-other-web-browsers
To be honest, even if that is true it's probably because the majority of people who write these malware and other malicious software will probably target IE. Not because it's a bad browser, but because it's the default so the majority of people who don't know much about a computer or how to spot when you have some malicious software will be using it.

Gerri Shin

  
Years
In case anyone wasn't aware, Safari for Windows has been discontinued.

as for my worst browser, I really don't have any real beef against any browser in particular, though my preference of browser is Safari for mac, Firefox (any platform), IE9+ for Windows, Chrome (any Platform), all other browsers.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Actually IE9 blocks 96.6% of malware, while firefox and chrome block under 5% of malware.

http://www.neowin.net/news/study-ie9-blocks-more-malware-than-other-web-browsers
Great, I was expecting someone to provide Microsoft-based query =)
This is prototype of Microsoft-based query that only shows how Microsoft can affect anything they want =) There's nothing legitimate about provided link =)

If you going to say IE, please provide a legitimate reason. Saying it's slow and clunky, and doesn't have a good rendering engine is complete ********. Learn to use IE9/10, and then come back and provide an answer... and that answer would be that it's great.
Slow, ugly, crashing, isn't updated, cannot be customized, still crappy tab browsing (seriously "opening" new window of IE when you actually open new tab? How AWESOME O.O). Should I continue?

Ice Car

Banned
Years
Internet Explorer. You know your browser is bad if you have to make commercials that talk it up despite it being the default browser on most computers afaik.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Safari on windows is awful. Then again, maybe it's just apple telling you to get a Mac product if you want a good browser made by them. :p

IE was garbage, then IE9 happened and Microsoft forgot to make their browser utter **** and actually made it competitive with Firefox or Chrome.

droomph

weeb
Years
Slow, ugly, crashing, isn't updated, cannot be customized, still crappy tab browsing (seriously "opening" new window of IE when you actually open new tab? How AWESOME O.O). Should I continue?

I think you're referring to IE 6. I used a newer version of IE (the latest I believe) on my mom's computer, it runs, other than a bit clunkier graphics, similar to almost any other good browser out there.

AnneNick

Banned
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 6, 2012
I have tried quite a few web browsers, but nothing seems to be bad except "Netscape Navigator" it was a horrible experience it takes ages to view even a low quality web site.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I would have agree with the majority (on Internet Explorer) last year - for me Firefox is gone in my list of browsers.

Speed is good, but the quality really sucks. Many of the add-ons work good with Chrome and IE9, but not compatible with Firefox. Since the update last year, all images have a black ugly background, instead of the white. I followed suggestions to change background, none worked. Image quality is what made me quit from using FireFox. Sorry its just my opinion.

Worst is FireFox, at least for me.

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Android Browser, especially 2.x variants. Comes close: Safari on Windows (slower than IE8?!) and any browser on Linux (molasses). They all share something in common - too slow and crash-prone in my use.

Speaking of crashes, there was a time where IE9 was crashing constantly on my laptop. I think either the cache or QuickTime were to blame, since after nuking the cache and uninstalling QuickTime, it magically stopped crashing. Given the "quality" of Safari of Windows...

Also, that parody video turned out to have errors.

Years of bad reputation takes a long time to fix. Remember the time before IE6 got stuck? It used to be good back in 2001.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
Internet Explorer, cos it's so slow and you can't even copy picture URLs!

Actually you can. Right click and click 'properties'.

But, yeah, I hate IE. Though I have to use it while on my mom's laptop (which I'm on right now) because my dad is having trouble downloadinf Firefox on it. I did download Chrome onto is myself, but I don't feel like re-bookmarking everything. I'm too lazy.

Zet

Years
Actually you can. Right click and click 'properties'.

But, yeah, I hate IE. Though I have to use it while on my mom's laptop (which I'm on right now) because my dad is having trouble downloadinf Firefox on it. I did download Chrome onto is myself, but I don't feel like re-bookmarking everything. I'm too lazy.

You know you can just import those bookmarks, right?

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
Safari is bad on any platform and needs to burn forever.
Chrome stopped working on my computer and I'm mad about that. I haven't been the only.
I've always hated IE's layout.
I've never tried Opera.

Therefore, I pretty much have to use Firefox. Unless Chrome updated and doesn't crash on me anymore, in which case I'd go back to it...

SS01

#PoC Collab
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Windows: IE, Linux: Chrome, OS X: Camino

IE sucks for one reason: ActiveX. Sure, it makes for some cool MSN integration - "Click here to add XXX to your buddy list" - But honestly Microsoft, is allowing a wb browser of all things complete control of the machine a good idea? ><

Chrom(ium)e, well fine on Windows, just doesn't integrate well with Linux. Slooooow. And those ugly Window buttons omg ;;

Camino doesn't really have anything bad about it, but it's just not up to par with Safari in terms of speed.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Windows: IE, Linux: Chrome, OS X: Camino

IE sucks for one reason: ActiveX. Sure, it makes for some cool MSN integration - "Click here to add XXX to your buddy list" - But honestly Microsoft, is allowing a wb browser of all things complete control of the machine a good idea? ><

ActiveX's also what make plugins and BHOs work in the first place in IE, and is actually required for parts of it to work properly, especially third-party plugins such as Adobe Flash Player and (sorta) Microsoft Silverlight. Technically, you can force disable any ActiveX usage with security settings and/or ActiveX Filtering (the latter allows unblocking on a per-site basis). That said, recent versions of IE will throw up tons of warnings before allowing you to run unsigned controls, if not outright blocking them.

Chrom(ium)e, well fine on Windows, just doesn't integrate well with Linux. Slooooow. And those ugly Window buttons omg ;;

Note that many browsers suffer from integration and performance penalties on Linux, moreso than OS X, or especially from Windows.

Camino doesn't really have anything bad about it, but it's just not up to par with Safari in terms of speed.

Speaking of speed, I've always wondered why other browsers on OS X are unable to take advantage of OpenGL rendering on OS X, and why every browser can't take advantage of any acceleration on Linux. Funny thing, on the Windows side, everyone is now capable of using Direct2D or Direct3D 9 (less efficient and worse text rendering compared to former) except for Safari, which is discontinued.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Internet Explorer sucks, followed by Opera, followed by (for Mac) Firefox, or (for Windows) Safari.

I think it's cute how Internet Explorer is still trying, though. Bless their television ads. Always gives me a good laugh when I see one of those on TV.

Years
Not a fan of, and never have been, of IE.
All these adverts for 'Faster, better IE browsing' are just too late, imo. I have had too many problems with the browser, so I just stick with Chrome.​

Back