• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: HackMew's Tools Factory [A-Ptch released]

Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2020
Hi I'm belgian and I'd like to traduce the XSE's guide because there is no good XSE tutorial in french yet. Is someone else already working on it?

edit: I'm working on it for a couple of hours and I've traduce intro and history lesson. I plan to work a couple of hours on it every day so I finish it in about 1 or 2 weeks. If somone wants to help I'll become very happy ;)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 8, 2012
Hi. Your XSE worked perfectly, but i updated it to version 1.1.1 and it says Runtime error 380. What's the problem?

SargeantMajorKururu

Loves Pokemon Black
Years
UNLZ???

I'v been trying to make my own hack recently, and I've used your tools before. But now, whenever I try to use UNLZ, it says: "Fre Red.gba.pal" was not found! How do I fix this? Do I have to download another new rom?

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
To everyone: I've got something important to tell you. I've planned a major rewrite and improvement of all the current tools. This time I'm gonna use C# so as to make them as platform-independent as possible through .NET/Mono. I'm sure Mac and Linux users will appreciate it. Please don't ask for release dates, I've got none. Just keep on trusting me, and you'll soon (well, almost) re-enjoy them in a new, tasty flavor. And yeah, thanks for reporting bugs and everything, but avoid doing so till the new tools come out. I can't tell you much else, because I've got not much else to tell you. I've been trying to work on my hack too lately, so yeah... Probably FSF is what will come fist, I guess. Have fun :)

Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2010
I got som trouble with A-trainer i get an error evrytime i open a rom in it it says this.

"20100724|212630|6.1.7600|0.9.1|DrawTile8|9|modLZ77|Subscript out of range|3" i also got others with 4 at the end and som different numbers but i would like to fix this so anyone could tell me how?

sir.euge

Bunchies Back!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 17, 2012
Hopefully with the release of FSP their will be a little prize.. an alpha of oro sole

KotovSyndrome_

Consumer of many asparagus.
Years
Hackmew, I must say.. Awesome programs :D
I've been using most of them a lot, but I was wondering..
Could you develop one that allows the user to edit the Oak speech at the start of the game? :/
I know you can do it with Hex Editing or A-Text, but A-Text doesn't work for many people, and Hex Editing isn't easy (well, at least for me :P)

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Nice to see a tool update!
It's nice to see that your new tools will be multiplatform.
Just one thing: You should have FreeSpaceFinder.exe renamed to FSF.exe in the package, so that it works out-of-the-box with XSE.
EDIT: Also, FSF can't load a ROM with another program using it...
Basically, that takes away a lot of the usefulness.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Nice to see a tool update!
It's nice to see that your new tools will be multiplatform.
Just one thing: You should have FreeSpaceFinder.exe renamed to FSF.exe in the package, so that it works out-of-the-box with XSE.
EDIT: Also, FSF can't load a ROM with another program using it...
Basically, that takes away a lot of the usefulness.

Thanks for commenting. About the name... Maybe I should have. But the new XSE will take care of the new .exe name. What about the "can't load" problem? Please be specific on the actual program(s). Also, please read carefully the first post.

Sierraffinity

Years
Thanks for commenting. About the name... Maybe I should have. But the new XSE will take care of the new .exe name. What about the "can't load" problem? Please be specific on the actual program(s). Also, please read carefully the first post.
Hmm, let's see...
Right now, the programs I have the ROM open in: AdvaneMap 1.92, VisualBoyAdvance 1.8.0 (although that's never been a problem before), XSE, and A-Trainer. The most likely culprit is A-Map, as almost all programs refuse to load a ROM at the same time as it.
The exact error I get is:
The process cannot access the file '(my ROM address)' because it is being used by another process.
Code:
See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\ROMs\Hacking Stuff\CrystalDust.gba' because it is being used by another process.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
   at HackMew.ToolsFactory.GameManager.ReadHeader[T]()
   at FreeSpaceFinder.formMain.LoadFile(String fileName)
   at FreeSpaceFinder.formMain.Open()
   at FreeSpaceFinder.formMain.miOpenROM_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.MenuItemData.Execute()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Command.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Command.DispatchID(Int32 id)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCommand(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
FreeSpaceFinder
    Win32 Version: 2.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/ROMs/Hacking%20Stuff/Tools/XSE/FSF.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
fjnt6elp
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
This happens a lot with .NET programs and A-Map.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Hmm, let's see...
Right now, the programs I have the ROM open in: AdvaneMap 1.92, VisualBoyAdvance 1.8.0 (although that's never been a problem before), XSE, and A-Trainer. The most likely culprit is A-Map, as almost all programs refuse to load a ROM at the same time as it.
The exact error I get is:

[...]

This happens a lot with .NET programs and A-Map.

Just like I guessed. FYI, it has nothing in particular to do with the .NET framework. The problem is indeed AdvanceMap which basically locks the file.

The error you got happened while trying to read the game header, in which code FileShare.Read were used. If I used FileShare.ReadWrite (thus allowing read and write access from other processes), the error wouldn't exists. But if you think about it, it's logical not allowing other processes to write to a file we're reading form. If the file content gets changed while reading it, what we read could be completely wrong. The same thing applies when writing to a file.

To sum it up, everything boils down to AdvanceMap (similar issues could also happen while using unLZ.GBA) which is locking the file even when it doesn't need to. To prove my point: try opening two instances of the new FSF. And load the same ROM in both. No error will happen. Besides writing my own map editor, there's not much I can do about it excepting catching the error and show an error message.

Last edited:

Sierraffinity

Years
Just like I guessed. FYI, it has nothing in particular to do with the .NET framework. The problem is indeed AdvanceMap which locks the file. The error you got happened while trying to read the game header, in which code FileShare.Read were used. If I used FileShare.ReadWrite (thus allowing read and write access from other processes), the error wouldn't exists. But if you think about it, it's logical not allowing other processes to write to a file we're reading/writing from/to. If the file content gets changed while reading it, what we read could be completely wrong. To sum it up, everything boils down to AdvanceMap (similar issues could also happen while using unLZ.GBA) which is locking the file even when it doesn't need to. Besides writing my own map editor, there's not much I can do about it excepting catching the error and show an error message.
Yeah, I understand. Maybe, however, you can fix it for Un-LZ Hacked (when you upgrade it).
Also, maybe LU-HO can be told about this bug (although he probably already has been) and, when the next A-Map comes out, it'll be fixed...

Back