• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your opinion on one save file

Muani

miau
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 25, 2014
Am I the only one who does not really like having one file? I will find it very inconvenient for people who need to share games with siblings, like me.

So, what do you think? If GameFreak / Nintendo suddenly started having 3 files or something in new games, would you like it or hate it?

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
It was revealed on an old interview with GF that the reason why we have only one save file is because of the feature to nickname our Pokemon. Plus, how will we able to get special event items/Pokemon if there was more than one save file?

Muani

miau
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 25, 2014
That is a good question. I don't know.

I never thought about that, actually. I don't know much overall about that kind of thing. I think next time I am going to do more research!

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2015
I hate the fact that i can't share the game with my sister, but i wouldn't know how to trade with different save files. and trade is the biggest portion pokemon is always trying to drive with people

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I'm not really bothered by the fact that there's only one save file. I was way back when I first started playing and my brother and I had to share Pokemon Red but ever since then we've just picked up our own copy. And because we did, we've been able to trade back and forth when needed. He doesn't play anymore but the sentiment is still there.
It was revealed on an old interview with GF that the reason why we have only one save file is because of the feature to nickname our Pokemon. Plus, how will we able to get special event items/Pokemon if there was more than one save file?
They could have individual save files for each user and then there would be an overall cartridge save file. Special event items/Pokemon could be saved to the overall file and each user would be able to access that and download it onto their save file only once. The logistics wouldn't be too hard to get around.

I don't get how nicknaming would have any effect on it, though...? That's kinda weird but maybe there's something I'm not thinking of.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I would like it.
Other platforms (PSP, PSVita, PS2, ... (not Sony fan at all xD)) have almost always at least 3 save slots so why can't Pokemon?
Trading and Mystery Gifts could be done with a bit of programming, I believe...
The share of one game can from one point of view be disadvantageous for the GF in terms of money but on the other hand, groups could buy one copy together and play it on different saves.
But the main reason is the one I mentioned in the second sentence. If others can have it, why Pokemon can't?

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I wouldn't mind having 3 save files (like in Super Mario 64 DS), everytime I want to start a new game, I have to buy another copy of the Pokemon game.

Magykx

It's too cold for you here.
Years
I think it would be more convenient for at least a second save file, but I do believe it would complicate special event items/Pokemon like mentioned above.

Years
I'm OK with it. At least when I have two files from the same gen and region the games are a bit different. If I had more than one file, I would just concentrate on one, and not really use the others anyway

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I'm not really bothered by the fact that there's only one save file. I was way back when I first started playing and my brother and I had to share Pokemon Red but ever since then we've just picked up our own copy. And because we did, we've been able to trade back and forth when needed. He doesn't play anymore but the sentiment is still there.

They could have individual save files for each user and then there would be an overall cartridge save file. Special event items/Pokemon could be saved to the overall file and each user would be able to access that and download it onto their save file only once. The logistics wouldn't be too hard to get around.

I don't get how nicknaming would have any effect on it, though...? That's kinda weird but maybe there's something I'm not thinking of.

I found the interview but it's certainly not decisive and doesn't say what Pinkie claims it to say.

Sugimori: We were discussing whether it would be better to have 3 save files or to be able to name all 151 of your Pokémon, and everyone was unanimous in saying "It's better to be able to name them all!"

Source

All this says is that they couldn't combine nicknames and save files in the first game. That doesn't stop them at all from figuring it out now.

Muani

miau
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 25, 2014
The main reason I would want at least ONE more save file, is to be able to share with siblings or to play the game through again without starting a new file..

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I found the interview but it's certainly not decisive and doesn't say what Pinkie claims it to say.

Source

All this says is that they couldn't combine nicknames and save files in the first game. That doesn't stop them at all from figuring it out now.
Ah, that makes a lot of sense for the early games. I know they were crazy pressed for space back in Gen I at the very least. I guess now they realize that the format of the game makes it sell like crazy if they only have one save per cartridge, too. :P
The main reason I would want at least ONE more save file, is to be able to share with siblings or to play the game through again without starting a new file..
Or the new functionality that was in BW2 where you could play again on a harder difficulty... but you could only do that by transferring the difficulty to a DIFFERENT game cartridge iirc. That's ridiculous. You should be able to use your original cartridge, even if it means restarting. It would be a no-brainer if there were two saves because you wouldn't have to transfer at all, just activate it on the new one. :/

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I don't mind having a single save file in one cartridge, but there are times when I wish there were 3-4 save files so that I can let other people use the same cartridge without starting my game over.

Guest123_x1

Although I'm not really a fan of having a one save file limit per game, I thought the reason for it was because there was only so much storage space on the game cartridges for save game data, compounded by the fact that Pokémon game saves are rich in details, such as what Pokémon you caught, their stats, moves, items you are carrying, how many you caught/seen in the PokéDex, among various other things.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I guess now they realize that the format of the game makes it sell like crazy if they only have one save per cartridge, too. :P
And we have a winner. That's all there is to it.

So, of course, I resent having one file, but it doesn't happen to affect me so I've never been as bothered by it as much as I might otherwise be. That said, even for a player whose cartridge/card is their own it would be nice to be able to start a new game without erasing the previous save.

Back