• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

[Pokémon] ~>{*Shiny Hunters Club}<~

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
Been sring again for zapdos after my friend got a shiny Moltres before me. So we are now racing to get the Bird trio.

Is it me or is SRing on Fire red/Leaf green just so ridiculously long because it goes through all that previously stuff... can I turn it off?

Sidenote: TwilightBlate do you know how to RNG a shiny ID. I can RNG pokemon easy but the RNG ID always confuses me. lol

G-Money

Polychromatic Iridescence
Years
*ties TwilightBlade to SHC Activity Van*

I'm glad to see you inspired again! Seeing the shinies of other people inspires me, too. Some just look really cool and you haven't seen them before, so it makes you want to hunt them! :)

Fufu posted a really good response to my previous post which clears up a few things, so I'll repost it here:

It's Just Fufu said:
Just posting to clear some things up.

I read on another forum a new way of shiny hunting: 1/8192 chaining. It's basically chaining, but intentionally breaking the chain after each encounter to keep the odds at 1/8192 and to keep which Pokemon appears random. The major benefit of this is to find Pokemon in D/P/Pt that only appear with the radar, but not chaining them. I'm probably not going to do it myself, but it is an interesting idea that some of you might find useful.

This isn't exactly new; I tried this a few months ago with Torkoal at Stark Mountain, but I found it cumbersome compared to random encountering and hatching. Not to mention, it's really only useful to get Radar exclusive Pokemon. The problem is that most of the Radar exclusive Pokemon can be obtained by more expedient means, so while 1/8192 chaining is undoubtedly a valid form of hunting, it's mostly pointless.

I'm not sure whether or not you guys know this already, but in case you don't: HG/SS has an encounter counter like B/W, although it's not as easily accessible. If you go to the machine in the Indigo Plateau, it'll tell you how many Pokemon you've encountered. I think it counts Trainer battles too, but it's a potentially useful tool for shiny hunting. All you have to do is write down how many encounters you had before starting a hunt. Go hunt your shiny, and once you've captured it, go check the machine and subtract your original number. This seems a lot easier than counting or using a calculator, and I'll probably use it to count if I ever do an HG/SS RE hunt.

The counter on HG/SS only works if you KO the Pokemon unless you are fishing. To clarify, you MUST KO the pokemon in order for HG/SS to keep an appropriate count for you. If you're fishing, then you can run away (HG/SS keeps a separate count for fished Pokemon and encountered Pokemon). Furthermore, it does count Pokemon you defeat in trainer battles. D/P/Pt feature the same thing.

And yeah, most of us already knew about this little feature, too. ;)

Can I join? I have a Shiny Roserade and other random ones.

Sure, welcome to the club! What other shinies do you have?

Hooh

Only if for a night.
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2015
Well..... My IRL friend found a shiny Geodude yesterday....

AND IT EXPLODED.

I like shiny Golem, and it would be nice to get a Geodude that DOESN't EXPLODE.

I'm going back to hunting today, who should I do? I'm hunting on Cobalion, Tranquill, and Mandibuzz.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
Spoiler:

I thought shiny mew can be obtained by SRing in faraway island... & shiny ageto celebi can be obtained from japanese colosseum disk. (even though they are extremely rare, I guess event pokes don't count :s

Latios Master

11 Year PC Member
Years

AND IT EXPLODED.

I like shiny Golem, and it would be nice to get a Geodude that DOESN't EXPLODE.

I'm going back to hunting today, who should I do? I'm hunting on Cobalion, Tranquill, and Mandibuzz.

The only RE shiny I came across in gen 2 was a Geodude, and it exploded on me too. Luckily I've been able to catch every shiny I've encountered in the wild since then.

I'm sorry to hear about Bulbasaur, Metal Electric. I hope you're able to get another one.

My shiny Litwick hunt has reached 1,027. I also reached 300 hours of gameplay today. I took a break to fill my Pokédex a little bit more yesterday and today. I seriously considered quitting the hunt. In the last two weeks I've dreamt that I got a shiny Litwick twice, including just a few nights ago. I also dreamt I caught a shiny Sandile a couple months ago.

Years
Many a fortnight ago, a shiny Lairon roared at me on Sapphire. It was the first turn and I planned on throwing the ball on the second turn. Since then, I've caught a shiny Pidgeotto, Geodude (gone), and Graveler, each of which was able to escape somehow. For Pidgeotto, this meant throwing a Master Ball. Pidgeotto (now Pidgeot) is only one of the two shinies (not counting radar extras of Beldum >,>) I have in master balls. The other is shiny Ho-oh, because it escaped from all my Heavy, Fast, and Ultra Balls.

I read on another forum a new way of shiny hunting: 1/8192 chaining. It's basically chaining, but intentionally breaking the chain after each encounter to keep the odds at 1/8192 and to keep which Pokemon appears random. The major benefit of this is to find Pokemon in D/P/Pt that only appear with the radar, but not chaining them. I'm probably not going to do it myself, but it is an interesting idea that some of you might find useful.
Maybe it's just me but this sounds unbelievably stupid. It's a kind of player-enforced difficulty with no reward. The Pokémon's stats and PV still come from the Pokéradar "method," so what you have is exactly the same as if you'd chained higher. Furthermore, it deprives you of the chance of getting one with high IVs and very likely the correct nature and ability, which is for me the main draw of the Pokéradar.

I don't understand all this hate on the Pokéradar. You "earn" your shiny by playing through a minigame, more or less, instead of just flat luck. Yes, it's easier (albeit not a pushover) when you know what you're doing, but that's just rewarding knowledge and experience.

I thought shiny mew can be obtained by SRing in faraway island... & shiny ageto celebi can be obtained from japanese colosseum disk. (even though they are extremely rare, I guess event pokes don't count :s
[/LEFT]​
Emerald SRs are basically either (1) impossible or (2) RNGing. If you have the equipment, Celebi/Jirachi from the bonus discs could count, but are among the most difficult shinies to obtain, right up there with the runners and Manaphy. I think you need to play as far as receiving your Pokédex to use the bonus discs, which save before you can check them. I'm unsure if any amount of play through Colosseum is required, or if multiples can be received from the same Colo save file or not.

Last edited:

G-Money

Years
I've temporarily put off my Mudkip hunt because I might hunt for it in SS instead. I don't want to waste limited time in Sapphire on a Pokemon I can get elsewhere and then miss out on the Regis. (Even though SRing on a dead internal battery is probably possible, it still takes longer because of that annoying message!) I'll definitely do my Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Latias, and possibly Latios hunts on HG/SS, once I get the Johto starters.

Is it me or is SRing on Fire red/Leaf green just so ridiculously long because it goes through all that previously stuff... can I turn it off?

SRing on FR/LG does take longer than R/S, but I think the 4th and 5th gens take even longer. The previous stuff is annoying when SRing, but you can press B at the beginning to skip it. You still see part of one section, but it's a whole lot faster than sitting through 4.

I seriously considered quitting the hunt. In the last two weeks I've dreamt that I got a shiny Litwick twice, including just a few nights ago. I also dreamt I caught a shiny Sandile a couple months ago.

Don't quit! Perseverance is what being a shiny hunter is all about...either that, or you're someone who likes shiny things. :D I haven't been keeping track of my dreams lately, but I'm sure I have tons of shiny dreams all the time. I remember one from a few months ago where I hatched 5 shinies, "lol."

AND IT EXPLODED.

Darn, that's awful. This is the second shiny tragedy we've had this week! Those are the kind of things I'm saving my Masterball for now, especially because of this:

Many a fortnight ago, a shiny Lairon roared at me on Sapphire. It was the first turn and I planned on throwing the ball on the second turn. Since then, I've caught a shiny Pidgeotto, Geodude (gone), and Graveler, each of which was able to escape somehow. For Pidgeotto, this meant throwing a Master Ball. Pidgeotto (now Pidgeot) is only one of the two shinies (not counting radar extras of Beldum >,>) I have in master balls. The other is shiny Ho-oh, because it escaped from all my Heavy, Fast, and Ultra Balls.

I was waiting for you to announce your final revenge with a new shiny Lairon... This is the kind of perfect buildup I would expect, mentioning the tale of past defeat and how you heroically have spent years practicing for your next encounter with the shiny Lairon by catching 3 other dangerous shinies. After much dedication and struggle, you're prepared to confront your old foe, this time with a Masterball in hand. ...but the punchline never came. :(

Oddly enough, I still remember the "lol, roar" avatar!

On the Pokeradar issue, I think it would be best to agree to disagree. I subscribe to Dr. Fufu's Theory of the Rarity and Value of the Shiny Pokemon, which doesn't look too kindly upon the radar. :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Hello. Ive been here a day and Ive already found the Shiny Club hee hee. Im a huge fan of shiny Pokemon and have many shinies. Most Ive traded for but alot of them Ive hunted for myself. I like just about every shiny Pokemon but there are some I really like. I would list all my shinies but it would take too long. My preferred method of hunting is Soft Resetting but I may eventually give up this method in order to focus on Masada Method.

I have a few soft reset targets going on now in several games. My main ones are Tirtouga in White and Ho-oh in Soul Silver but I also SR Cobalion in Japanese Black off and on. I have a couple hunts ive suspended. Ive suspended Mesprit in Diamond at 1870 resets, Extremespeed Dratini in Soul Silver at 2260 resets, and Eevee in LeafGreen at 1321 resets. I may pick one of these up if I get one of the targets im hunting for, hope fully Ho-oh so I can go back to the Dratini. Thats it really. I have over 1000 SRs for Ho-oh right now and sure hope it dosent take as long as Lugia did which got to over 10k SRs when I finally got it. D:

My shiny List per request:
Lapras
Lugia
Magnemite
Buizel
Spoink
Cubone
Sentret
Rapidash
Togetic
Cyndaquil
Treecko
Azelf
Uxie
Oddish

Last edited:

It's Just Fufu

Nostalgia is powerful.
Years
Spoiler:

o___O

o____O

o______O

^___^

I explain most things in the video (still uploading), but I like to type so I'll put it here, too. For the past week and a half, I have been hatching for a secret target on both my Black and White versions. I don't think I told anyone explicitly about this hunt. I may have hinted at it in the past, but I have not revealed who my target was to anyone recently. I'm part of the school of thought that believes that a secret target is one that is kept -- for lack of a better term -- a secret! I never understood the desire to proclaim that one is hunting for a secret target. It sort of defeats the purpose of having a secret target! Moving on...

I was watching Naruto Shippuden Episode 208 on the internet while hatching for Growlithe. This time around, instead of hatching eggs in a continuous stream-like fashion, I decided that I would first collect 90 eggs in both Black and White, then proceed to hatch all 90 eggs. After checking their IVs, I would replace parents as necessary and release all the unsuitable Pokemon. At the point of me making this decision, I had hatched approximately 360 eggs: 180 on Black and 180 on White.

As expected, the eggs on Black yielded nothing. Then I began hatching on White. It felt like the eggs were taking forever to hatch...riding back and forth on Route 3 was becoming more monotonous than a college history class, and by the time I got to the last 10 eggs for the day, I was wondering how in the world I would find the strength to collect 90 more eggs on BOTH Black and White before the day was over.

So I collected 5 of the last ten eggs in my White version and went about hatching them.

The first egg? Red Growlithe, of course. There's no way I'd hatch a shiny Growlithe so soon.

The second egg? Its contents were the same as the other 500+ eggs.

And then, out of the blue, a golden retriever hatched out of the third egg of the second to last batch of the day.

That explains the o_O at the beginning of this post. Heh.

Most people react instantly when they find a new shiny. I, on the other hand, sat in a catatonic stupor for a good minute and a half. It took me quite a while to fully accept that I had just hatched a SHINY GROWLITHE.

So yeah, to make a long story even longer, I hatched a shiny Growlithe after something like 533 eggs.

BUT WAIT!!! It gets even better.

For some reason, I am low-key obsessive about breeding Pokemon with really good IVs. I mean, I don't even battle competitively with any sort of regularity (I prefer to commandeer my brother's battles on Pokemon Online), but for some reason, any time I decide to breed for a shiny, I go crazy over trying to make sure it has stellar IVs. I did it for all of my previous egg shinies, and this time was no different; in fact, I began my preparations for this hunt by a breeding tri-flawless female Growlithe on HG/SS months before Black and White were available in the US. Eventually, a LOT of a luck and a little bit of time allowed me to obtain a pair of quad-flawless Growlithe parents. I cloned them so that I could have two sets of parents; this would allow me to breed on both games. Of course, I also took advantage of the Everstone and a Power EV Item to increase my chances of hatching a competitively viable shiny. Annnnnd the parents were both from English carts, so I didn't exactly have the luxury of 1/1366 odds to work with.

Given the natural laws of inheritance and the amount of planning that went into this particular hunt, I was very excited to check out the nature and IVs of my shiny Growlithe.

Adamant - Intimidate
HP :: 16
Atk :: 31
Def :: 20
SAtk :: 31
SDef :: 12
Spd :: 31

Needless to say, I felt euphoric upon seeing those IVs. I feel that the ^_^ at the beginning of this post is now self-explanatory. Heh.

So basically, I am on a cloud right now. Why? Allow me to recap.
-- I got a fire type shiny. Only seven more to go!
-- I got a dream shiny. Arcanine is magnificent, sublime, majestic...the list goes on.
-- I hatched yet another 1/8192 shiny! It is my 70th.
-- It is competitively viable, even though Flash Fire > Intimidate for sweeping sets.
-- This was a VERY quick hunt

I cannot stress enough how thankful I am for this shiny. I say that egg hunts are my favorite kind of hunt, and I mean it. But at the same time, they are pretty stressful. The amount of preparation they can require compounded with the fact that they naturally last longer than most hunt calls for a certain fortitude that not many shiny hunters have. Thankfully, my dedication was not challenged at all; an egg hunt of less than 600 eggs is like stumbling upon an oasis at the beginning of a journey of an uncharted desert. Even though one is mentally prepared for an arduous journey, the relief one feels from receiving early respite is nothing short of bliss. I will always be grateful for this stroke of luck, that's for sure!

If you took the time to read this verbose description, then I hope, at the very least, you have a thorough understanding of the incalculable happiness I'm experiencing right now. If you were entertained, then that's just icing on the cake. But all in all, thank you for allowing me to share my joy with you.

And if, for some reason, you don't find this post endearing or in good taste, it's probably because you're allergic to my new golden retriever.

:p

Note: it turns out that I hatched 273 eggs on Black, 264 eggs on White, and 10 eggs on HeartGold for a grand total of 547 eggs. This discrepancy is due to the eggs I hatched to get the quad flawless parents.

Spoiler:

Good luck to all!

Last edited:

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
Ugh... masuda method is getting a tad bit boring now... I won't be so concentrated on my game for a while, because hatching 1000+ eggs is boring, and on top of that I STILL have freakin' schoolwork, so yeah... don't expect me to get a shiny anytime :s

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
Years
Spoiler:

o___O

o____O

o______O

^___^

I explain most things in the video (still uploading), but I like to type so I'll put it here, too. For the past week and a half, I have been hatching for a secret target on both my Black and White versions. I don't think I told anyone explicitly about this hunt. I may have hinted at it in the past, but I have not revealed who my target was to anyone recently. I'm part of the school of thought that believes that a secret target is one that is kept -- for lack of a better term -- a secret! I never understood the desire to proclaim that one is hunting for a secret target. It sort of defeats the purpose of having a secret target! Moving on...

I was watching Naruto Shippuden Episode 208 on the internet while hatching for Growlithe. This time around, instead of hatching eggs in a continuous stream-like fashion, I decided that I would first collect 90 eggs in both Black and White, then proceed to hatch all 90 eggs. After checking their IVs, I would replace parents as necessary and release all the unsuitable Pokemon. At the point of me making this decision, I had hatched approximately 360 eggs: 180 on Black and 180 on White.

As expected, the eggs on Black yielded nothing. Then I began hatching on White. It felt like the eggs were taking forever to hatch...riding back and forth on Route 3 was becoming more monotonous than a college history class, and by the time I got to the last 10 eggs for the day, I was wondering how in the world I would find the strength to collect 90 more eggs on BOTH Black and White before the day was over.

So I collected 5 of the last ten eggs in my White version and went about hatching them.

The first egg? Red Growlithe, of course. There's no way I'd hatch a shiny Growlithe so soon.

The second egg? Its contents were the same as the other 500+ eggs.

And then, out of the blue, a golden retriever hatched out of the third egg of the second to last batch of the day.

That explains the o_O at the beginning of this post. Heh.

Most people react instantly when they find a new shiny. I, on the other hand, sat in a catatonic stupor for a good minute and a half. It took me quite a while to fully accept that I had just hatched a SHINY GROWLITHE.

So yeah, to make a long story even longer, I hatched a shiny Growlithe after something like 533 eggs.

BUT WAIT!!! It gets even better.

For some reason, I am low-key obsessive about breeding Pokemon with really good IVs. I mean, I don't even battle competitively with any sort of regularity (I prefer to commandeer my brother's battles on Pokemon Online), but for some reason, any time I decide to breed for a shiny, I go crazy over trying to make sure it has stellar IVs. I did it for all of my previous egg shinies, and this time was no different; in fact, I began my preparations for this hunt by a breeding tri-flawless female Growlithe on HG/SS months before Black and White were available in the US. Eventually, a LOT of a luck and a little bit of time allowed me to obtain a pair of quad-flawless Growlithe parents. I cloned them so that I could have two sets of parents; this would allow me to breed on both games. Of course, I also took advantage of the Everstone and a Power EV Item to increase my chances of hatching a competitively viable shiny. Annnnnd the parents were both from English carts, so I didn't exactly have the luxury of 1/1366 odds to work with.

Given the natural laws of inheritance and the amount of planning that went into this particular hunt, I was very excited to check out the nature and IVs of my shiny Growlithe.

Adamant - Intimidate
HP :: 16
Atk :: 31
Def :: 20
SAtk :: 31
SDef :: 12
Spd :: 31

Needless to say, I felt euphoric upon seeing those IVs. I feel that the ^_^ at the beginning of this post is now self-explanatory. Heh.

So basically, I am on a cloud right now. Why? Allow me to recap.
-- I got a fire type shiny. Only seven more to go!
-- I got a dream shiny. Arcanine is magnificent, sublime, majestic...the list goes on.
-- I hatched yet another 1/8192 shiny! It is my 70th.
-- It is competitively viable, even though Flash Fire > Intimidate for sweeping sets.
-- This was a VERY quick hunt

I cannot stress enough how thankful I am for this shiny. I say that egg hunts are my favorite kind of hunt, and I mean it. But at the same time, they are pretty stressful. The amount of preparation they can require compounded with the fact that they naturally last longer than most hunt calls for a certain fortitude that not many shiny hunters have. Thankfully, my dedication was not challenged at all; an egg hunt of less than 600 eggs is like stumbling upon an oasis at the beginning of a journey of an uncharted desert. Even though one is mentally prepared for an arduous journey, the relief one feels from receiving early respite is nothing short of bliss. I will always be grateful for this stroke of luck, that's for sure!

If you took the time to read this verbose description, then I hope, at the very least, you have a thorough understanding of the incalculable happiness I'm experiencing right now. If you were entertained, then that's just icing on the cake. But all in all, thank you for allowing me to share my joy with you.

And if, for some reason, you don't find this post endearing or in good taste, it's probably because you're allergic to my new golden retriever.

:p

Note: it turns out that I hatched 273 eggs on Black, 264 eggs on White, and 10 eggs on HeartGold for a grand total of 547 eggs. This discrepancy is due to the eggs I hatched to get the quad flawless parents.

Oh, and Profile: I just want you to know that I accept my strike fully. No hard feelings ^_^

Spoiler:

Good luck to all!

OH MY GOD. You are so lucky. Shiny Growlithe! :D That's my next target seeing as how I got elekid and Arcanine is my other favorite, I am very jealous :p gratz

mikocoon

error? who cares?
Years
it's okay if we have only one shiny pokemon to join this club?
i have shiny graveler(i found it in magma hideout by a coincidence)-emerald

G-Money

Years
...riding back and forth on Route 3 was becoming more monotonous than a college history class...

I, on the other hand, sat in a catatonic stupor...

...an egg hunt of less than 600 eggs is like stumbling upon an oasis at the beginning of a journey of an uncharted desert. Even though one is mentally prepared for an arduous journey, the relief one feels from receiving early respite is nothing short of bliss.

If you took the time to read this verbose description, then I hope, at the very least, you have a thorough understanding of the incalculable happiness I'm experiencing right now.

Wow. That was an awesome post, if you don't mind massive understatements. I can't follow that up with anything remotely close, "lol." Congrats on the shiny Growlithe!

Fufu, I found something that you'll probably find pretty funny: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=2150982#post2150982 :P

it's okay if we have only one shiny pokemon to join this club?
i have shiny graveler(i found it in magma hideout by a coincidence)-emerald

Yes, you can join! Welcome to the club, mikocoon! You're lucky the shiny Graveler didn't explode on you - we've had some bad luck with those this week, "lol." What shiny are you hunting for now?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2011
I am new to the forums and this caught my attention. I personally find it extremely hard to find a shiny pokemon without hacking/cheating. but that spoils the fun. is there a technique to finding shinies? thanks in advance :)

Latios Master

11 Year PC Member
Years
I am new to the forums and this caught my attention. I personally find it extremely hard to find a shiny pokemon without hacking/cheating. but that spoils the fun. is there a technique to finding shinies? thanks in advance :)

Welcome to PC and to the Shiny Hunter's Club! If you breed two Pokémon that are from games that are of two different languages (like a Japanese Ditto and an American Litwick) the odds of getting a shiny increase from 1/8,192 to 1/1,365.3. It's called the Masuda Method, named after the game developer Junichi Masuda, who revealed it.

Congrats on the shiny Growlithe, FuFu!

So far I've hatched 1,085 Litwicks.

Years
On the Pokeradar issue, I think it would be best to agree to disagree. I subscribe to Dr. Fufu's Theory of the Rarity and Value of the Shiny Pokemon, which doesn't look too kindly upon the radar. :)
To me, working the Pokéradar at a 0-chain is akin to going to Japan to get a Big Mac. I can understand choosing a harder method when there's something to gain from it (I myself do this), but when it's for the very same thing, you've lost me. As far as I'm concerned, the chainable species have permanently depreciated in value, and hunting them in an old difficult way won't change that. You might as well chain them and benefit from having one which is competitively useful.

It's Just Fufu

Nostalgia is powerful.
Years
Hey everyone. Earlier today (a little past midnight), I got a shiny Torkoal on my Ruby version after 5,251 encounters. It is female and it has a Lonely nature. Unfortunately, I was not able to make a video of the capture. I WAS going to take pictures of it on my Ruby version earlier this morning after I woke up, but I completely forgot and went straight to transferring my shiny Torkoal over to HeartGold. Meh.

Now I'm going to focus on getting shiny Gible and Staryu. I'll also hunt for Paras a little on the side.

Good luck to all!

PokeTrainer87

Playing through Black Version
Years
Whats up shiny hunters! Earlier this morning at 2:14 to be exact I found a shiny tympole on my pokemon white. Making it my third shiny in this file and second 1/8,192 shiny. Here are some pictures I took. Good luck to all you hunting and congrats to Fufu on the shiny growlithe and torkoal.

Back