• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Linux on Lenovo laptops? Better check if the laptop's RAIDing!

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
There's been some sort of brouhaha over Linux not being able to be installed on certain Lenovo laptops lately.

This article sums it up quite nicely - seems like RAID is causing a problem, and Lenovo does not provide an option to disable it. Sounds like a hardware support issue; nobody is actively blocking Linux from installing in reality.

In my opinion, though, shouldn't RAID be able to be disabled? In case anything goes wrong. This sounds like a major oversight as almost every other RAID-enabled laptop allows it to be disabled as far as I can see.

Melody

Banned
Years
This is something that will likely be fixed in a later distro or release of Linux; I doubt this automatic RAID-ing of the disk is going to prevent a Linux install for long.

Really it's just a matter of the people who write Linux code to find a way to fix it. Or perhaps maybe they won't and just tell people to avoid this PC. Not a big deal really; though I do think Lenovo probably should release a Basic piece of source code or documentation so that the OSS community can write the driver for it and get on with other things.

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
Years
It depends if the particular distro supports RAID, it's probably still possible to do a manual install (arch-style) if the distro supports such a thing.

Guest123_x1

UGH! With this, and the fact that Microsoft's SecureBoot requirement is nothing more than a tool to block alternative operating systems that have not been approved/signed by MS, it's no wonder the PC market has been crap for the past several years, and probably will be so permanently, with everybody switching to doing their computing tasks exclusively on tablets and smartphones.

With the crap the major PC manufacturers and Microsoft have been pulling on us over the past few years, I wouldn't be surprised if PCs will become a "niche market" item like vinyl records or soon-to-disappear legacy products like POTS (non-cable television-based) landline systems, photographic film (including the once-ubiquitous 35mm format), and VHS players/recorders.

Back