• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Poke Island (SE)

Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
Um, so I have bad news. Today my laptop fried its CPU or something, and now does not work at all. So until I get something to replace my new $2500 doorstop I'm going to be unable to work on Poke Island (or pretty much anything for that matter).

I haven't backed up the files on there, but I can recover them once I get an external hard drive casing for my drive. Anyway, it's just a setback. A really freaking expensive setback...

Kine

Whatev
Years
Fried the CPU but it was new? Did a power surge happen?

Well, seems like a lot of things are going awry with computers. Apparently one of my musicians said his orchestra VST was acting up, which explains some slowdown on that end.

Well, it doesn't seem to be too bad if you can still get the files (and your own, did you even back up your own game?). Just expensive, which is bad enough on it's own.

Also, remember to make backups of stuff (even if it's just sending email attachments). I could tell you if I lost all the sprites I made, I wouldn't bother starting over. That's why I have backups on a CD AND a flash drive.

Well, let me know when you get it up. I doubt there'll be much lost time. At least the menu was coming along.

Edit, if it matters: I'm at about 1.5 songs created, the 1/2 done song waviering between declined or accepted depending on how he continues with it (by itself it's good, but not what I asked for so...). On another topic, I've got another person who just, out of the blue, decided to help with music. Talk about one door closing and the other opening. The plus side is that this guy can do EB styled music matter-of-factly. So I may have gotten the better end of the deal on this one. The other guy was really good, but he may have been too good as he voiced it being a bit difficult to adjust to making SNES to N64 at best sounding music. I can imagine that being jarring, considering making 8-bit sprites with detail limitation was actually a CHALLENGE for the artists of Mega Man 9. Seems like as time goes by, people forget how to downgrade (not everyone, but some). And having Redbook type audio for PISE would only be good if the entire soundtrack was recomposed, but since I know I'm mooching some EB music, might as well make it all fit (and why bother recomposing all those battle tunes and such from EB when they're pretty much as authentic as they're going to get?*).

On top of it all, the new guy has proven by all his submissions to Starmen that he works fast. So, hopefully, I should be getting some music done double time. Well, considering the rate now, I'd even daresay quadruple time (half joking, half hopeful).

*I say that mainly pointing to the Starman Jr./Mani Mani etc battle tune. I have not heard ANY arrangement of that superior to the original, and it makes sense as it's hard to capture. The closest was done using the samples direct for a module version of the song.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 8, 2023
I think this entire project is hot. So here.

2i9mfed.png

What do you think?

Kine

Whatev
Years
Those are pretty good! They look about correct in style, too. However, I already have Geodude and Diglett. =(

Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
Ok, so I am finally back. New laptop, I do have all my files still, and a whole bunch more crises going on.
*sigh*

So after my laptop died, and I replaced it, my car was all "Hey, I wanna do that too!"
So now I need a car. And money. And I reall don't honestly know how much time I'm going to have for PISE right now, despite my best efforts. However, I will continue to do what I can for you, and if you want the current version of my files, I'm happy to send that across.

Anyway, just letting you know I'm not dead or anything...

Kine

Whatev
Years
Strangely enough, I had to reformat my computer over the past week due to malware. What makes it worse is that I don't go to sites that are typically hazards on purpose.

Eh, everything's safe, though. Still, it set me back school wise.

Was you car insured? If so, are you able to get any aid from that?

Also, go ahead and send the files. The thing is, if those files are on an email attachment, then what that means is that essentially there's a backup on a server, which is good for all parties.

Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
Sent. No coverage on my old car, so I gotta pay for everything. It's alright though, I'll figure out a way to get by.

Kine

Whatev
Years
Just so you know, I got the files. I'm also going to start working on the map again, after a bit of a hiatus. Well, not that I was doing much else with the game, but I didn't have much choice.

I still have to finish an animation for class/portfolio. After that's done, I think that'll be the last serious project I have until I get a job. By which I mean a project necessary to get a job or some such. At least, as far as I can tell. Anything afterward would probably be freelance.

Kine

Whatev
Years
A note for anyone following this:

Since I completed that animation (well, to a point) and pretty much cinched the internship I wanted, I can get back to work on this. Nice.

Perp, if you happen to see this, how's it going with expenses and all?

Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
Sorry for the downtime. Lately I've had a lot of stuff to deal with and it's basically taking up all my free time. I had to re-install windows on my new laptop and thus lost the link here, which I nearly forgot about until just now. Anyway, I have bad news and good news.

The bad news is that I'm going to be REALLY busy this semester at uni. I literally have to make two different games and a games engine, as well as a website and various other things. So I'm going to be kind of nonexistent for a while. The good news, aside from the fact that I have a car again, is that I'm being "forced" to learn javascript, which of course, Sphere is based off of. This means I'll understand a lot more by the time I'm done with it all, and it should help me work on this game.

Uhh.. in case I forget this site again, feel free to keep in touch with me via email. I'll try and help out as much as I can within my now limited bounds.

Last edited:
Back