• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Seperate question. Is it possible to have a dragon based team? I have 4 dragons which i know is too many on one team. Or do i stick to pokemon that counter its weakness?

You can but ice types will destroy you for the most part, so you're better off using at least one steel so you have something to help you against opposing scarfed, or faster dragons. It's up to you though, it can work but kind of risky. Also as a little head's up for the future this fits in in-game team questions since it relates to team things rather than actual game mechanics etc!

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years

You can but ice types will destroy you for the most part, so you're better off using at least one steel so you have something to help you against opposing scarfed, or faster dragons. It's up to you though, it can work but kind of risky. Also as a little head's up for the future this fits in in-game team questions since it relates to team things rather than actual game mechanics etc!

I was pondering a Metagross. breeding it now

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2013
Hello, i just wanted to know if my calculations for EV training is correct.

I want to EV train my Scyther for this: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD

He has pokerus and will be holding a macho brace.
---

For HP, i have to fight 31 Stunfisks (2 EVs each)

For Attack, i have to fight 63 patrats (1 EV each)

For speed, i have to fight 1 Basculin.

Are my calculations correct for this? I am a first time EV trainer. And also, should I level my Scyther to a Scizor before ev training or does it not matter? Thanks in advance!

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Are my calculations correct for this? I am a first time EV trainer. And also, should I level my Scyther to a Scizor before ev training or does it not matter? Thanks in advance!
I'll answer the bolded segment. Whether to evolve first will strictly have to do with which moves you want available on levelup. MOST moves are identical pre- and post-evolution. However, there are a few differences:

Level 21: Scyther learns Wing Attack whereas Scizor learns Metal Claw.
Level 37: Double Team is Scyther's move, while Scizor prefers Iron Defense.
Level 53: Air Slash is what Scyther learns, but Scizor goes all out with Iron Head.

The rest aside from Start moves are identical, and any EV training done on Scyther before evolution carries over into Scizor. Also, any moves learned by Scyther that only it can learn on levelup will be known by your Scizor as well, but cannot be relearned by the move lady in Mistralton on a Scizor if forgotten (i.e. your Scizor can know both Wing Attack and Air Slash before evolution, but even at Lv.100 cannot relearn either move). If you evolve at the levels noted above, it's possible to learn BOTH moves at that level, and you can evolve after learning all Scyther moves and "relearn" "forgotten" Scizor moves so you still have access to the entire move pool. Note you must trade with the correct item (a Metal Coat) to evolve.

Cyclone

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2013
Thanks for the amazing response CycloneGU!

One more question: If I start the battle with my Scyther (with macho brace/pokerus), and then swap and defeat the target with my other pokemon, will Scyther still get the full EV's with the bonus of macho/pokerus included?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Thanks for the amazing response CycloneGU!

One more question: If I start the battle with my Scyther (with macho brace/pokerus), and then swap and defeat the target with my other pokemon, will Scyther still get the full EV's with the bonus of macho/pokerus included?
No. The Pokémon has to knock out the opponent to get the EVs. However, using the Lucky Egg and starting with it will gain extra experience than it normally would (unless an outsider - i.e. traded to you - in which case the Lucky Egg is useless). (Corrected below, but ignoring the Lucky Egg bit, hand it an Exp. Share and it can gain Exp. that way without gaining EVs you may not want it to have.)

This lets you get the level up to, say, Lv.55 before going and hunting down Stunfisks on Route 8 or the Moor of Icirrus. You have them way overleveled and can just wipe them out one by one, and keep track of how many you're beaten by looking at the number of times your knockout move is used. If it misses once, use other moves to defeat it so your tally remains correct. How do you get to 55 without fighting? Give it a Lucky Egg and start it against Audinos on Route 11; it will get to 40 very quickly (ten battles or so, give or take) by switching it immediately for an ally who knocks it out, then it gets slower but can still be done.

Cyclone

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2013
Oh wow...

Because I just defeated 31 stunfisks by swapping out scyther and having someone else beat him. Scyther gained exp from him, but from what your telling me no EVs?

So did Scyther gain 0 EV's from all that?? He was holding a machobrace w/ pokerus.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Oh wow...

Because I just defeated 31 stunfisks by swapping out scyther and having someone else beat him. Scyther gained exp from him, but from what your telling me no EVs?

So did Scyther gain 0 EV's from all that?? He was holding a machobrace w/ pokerus.
I just double-checked this per Bulbapedia and it seems I may be wrong.

"Unlike experience points, which are reduced when multiple Pokémon are receiving experience, effort points are awarded equally to all Pokémon who participated in defeating a Pokémon."

Anyone want to confirm this detail? I thought only the Pokémon completing the battle got the EVs.

Cyclone

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I just double-checked this per Bulbapedia and it seems I may be wrong.

"Unlike experience points, which are reduced when multiple Pokémon are receiving experience, effort points are awarded equally to all Pokémon who participated in defeating a Pokémon."

Anyone want to confirm this detail? I thought only the Pokémon completing the battle got the EVs.

Cyclone

All Pokemon involved with the battle (this includes any Pokemon holding the EXP Share) get EVs for battle.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
All Pokemon involved with the battle (this includes any Pokemon holding the EXP Share) get EVs for battle.
There ya go Ciesla, looks like those battles did count! I had read somewhere on these forums (can't recall where, might be elsewhere) that they didn't count unless the battle was finished.

That explains why all my babies have such high HP stats upon fully evolving...

Cyclone

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Battle finishes when you KO the Pokemon. So unless you run away mid fight, you get EVs. If you don't finish the battle, running or the wild fleeing or Roar/Whirlwind/Dragon Tail, then you don't get EVs.

Felt like I should clear up what it means to "Not finish a battle"

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2013
Battle finishes when you KO the Pokemon. So unless you run away mid fight, you get EVs. If you don't finish the battle, running or the wild fleeing or Roar/Whirlwind/Dragon Tail, then you don't get EVs.

Felt like I should clear up what it means to "Not finish a battle"

Yes, but does the macho brace bonus get counted as well?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Yes, but does the macho brace bonus get counted as well?
Of course! You get 4x if I'm not mistaken even if he pops out of the ball and goes right back in; find something giving off three EVs in the stat you want and you get a whole 12 EVs per battle with Pokérus and the Macho Brace.

Also, if you want to quickly level up a Pokémon without attaining EVs, give it an Exp. Share. I'm fairly certain EVs are not gained that way.

Cyclone

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
@Cyclone: Unfortunately, you are wrong again. Exp. Share also gives out EVs similar to switching in. ;)
As for the Scyther issue... mentioned moves don't really matter if you have Technician Scyther/Scizor since both rely on "weaker" moves.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
@Cyclone I mentioned that in one of my posts XD

I said that those with the EXP Share gain as well cause the way EXP share is coded treats the holder as if they are in battle.

Now If the one that beats the Pokemon has a Macho Brace on and another Pokemon has EXP Share, only the Macho Brace holder gets the x4. The EXP Share holder will only get the EVs that the Pokemon is supposed to give.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
@Cyclone I mentioned that in one of my posts XD

I said that those with the EXP Share gain as well cause the way EXP share is coded treats the holder as if they are in battle.

Now If the one that beats the Pokemon has a Macho Brace on and another Pokemon has EXP Share, only the Macho Brace holder gets the x4. The EXP Share holder will only get the EVs that the Pokemon is supposed to give.
It should be noted that the Exp. Share only gives the 1x, but Pokérus makes it 2x. So does the Macho Brace, but 4x only comes if the Macho Brace holder has Pokérus. (I did read "Stacks with Pokérus" at Bulbapedia before commenting last time.)

Cyclone

SamuJake

I beat Red when I was 8' bro.
Years
Is there any way to help lvl up my Pokemon? I've defeated the league for the first time in Black. My Pokemon team is around lvl 62 - 67. Any ideas or tips? I want to at least get them to level 70's.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Is there any way to help lvl up my Pokemon? I've defeated the league for the first time in Black. My Pokemon team is around lvl 62 - 67. Any ideas or tips? I want to at least get them to level 70's.

I suggest using the +++exp pass power, lucky egg and training at the sports domes in Nimbasa City, otherwise Audino are always good for exp.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
Like vaporeon7, I believe the arenas in Nimbasa are great, and giving someone a Lucky Egg helps a lot (you can get them at random from the treasure hunter on Route 13, north of Undella Town). It's also a good idea to fight all the swimmers in Undella Bay. Abundant Shrine is also a decent place to train. That's all the stuff I did when I wanted to get mine to Level 70. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back