The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Old July 30th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Shiny Quagsire
Actually gone until Aug 20th .-.

Nature: Jolly

Advertise here
I only enjoy Fakemon if I feel that they fit in well with the previous generation Pokemon sprite-wise. For example, if you were able to make a preevolution to Pincer that actually looked like it was meant to be in the game, then you did a good job making it. If it looks like a piece of crap or the shading style makes it look awkward when placed with other Pokemon, then it's a no-go.

Old August 5th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Ambushwhack

I often like Fakemon, as long as there's still plenty of the originals too. I mean, I'm playing a ROM hack - I'm looking for a fan's take on the franchise, and Fakemon are part of that. And who hasn't dreamed up some Fakemon at some point? I do lament that the Fakemon sprites often seem just a little off - they just look like a subtly different artistic style, and it can break my immersion.

...It's actually something I'm thinking about a fair bit, because I'm working on a ROM hack (my first!) that includes Fakemon as the central plot element. Like Mewtwo and Genesect, we've got an evil team creating new Pokemon to have stronger battlers. The whole hack falls apart without Fakemon, in this case.
I'm currently teaching myself about ROM hacking to make my first hack. It stars a lab aide whose professor was kidnapped to help make Mewtwo. The same team also wants the aide's Kabuto(ps) to upgrade into a Genesect. Dark Fakemon evolutions and hybrids will also play a central role to the villainous Team Helix. Currently I'm fairly confident with YAPE and AdvanceMap. In a few weeks I'm likely to start putting a team together. I suck at spriting, and I can't understand the scripting tutorials.
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:27 AM
Darkrai666
ThatscaryFreakyguywhoisDa rkrai

Nature: Lax
Some People say fakemon Ruin The hack whereas some people say it makes the game way more EPIC Unless the story is good I dont think Fakemon Are apreciated..It also Depends on the sprites Lets take a example shall we?
POKEMON ruby destiny Life of Guardians
It has a epic Story and Its full of fakemon..Some are epic some aren't..Like there's one called furruny..I mean seriously? That's just a zigzagoon with Bad Pixels But then There's Gabrellon These are epic so It depends on How good your sprites are and Your Fakemon Story Pokedex entry and so on

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:26 PM
awipe1

I love seeing fakemon in games.

It's such a thrill playing a game and finding a random Pokemon that you have never seen before.
You have no idea if it evolves, what moves it learns. It makes me feel like i'm playing a game for the first time again. I personally really enjoy fakemon. I like a mix between fakemon and pokemon.

Also I'm currently looking for a spriter for my ROM. Someone who can make OWs and possibly trainer sprites (I might make those myself). Message me if you would like to be a part of Pokemon Battle Brown!
NOTE: You wouldn't be designing your own sprites, I would be telling you what I needed, and you would make it for me ... as appealing as that sounds. I know it doesn't sound like a fun task, but if you want to be a part of this ROM, then that's what will happen. Also I would like to see some stuff you have made before I accept your offer.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:16 PM
Crimson5M
what
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Fakemon make or break a hack.

If you're going to add Fakemon to your hack, you have to be extremely committed, as it takes a long time to come up with original ideas and sprite them, then come up with stats, movesets etc, and you also have to be a very good spriter.

Take a look at Sienna, the Fakemon are well sprited, they're unique, some of the designs are a bit goofy but a lot of them are really believable.

Personally I really enjoy having Fakemon in a hack, simply because I'm playing a fake game.
I don't want to see the same crap I can see in any Pokemon game, when I battle a gym leader and they send out their Doughnutmon, I want to be like "what the hell is that thing, and how can I beat it?".

Because it should've won HotY.
Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Old August 23rd, 2013, 01:00 PM
Telinc1
Pokémon Trainer

Nature: Quirky
I, personally, have mixed feelings about Fakemon. If they're well designed and unique (random example, a Water/Flying type turtle with wings) with balanced base stats and movepools that may be used in a normal Pokémon game, then, yes, I really like them. Bad thing about Fakemon is that sometimes they are either very bad ideas or they have such non-balanced stats that they don't really seem like actual Pokémon that I would use.

Even though I don't really look at sprites that much, if they're something as ugly as a mixture of Mewtwo, Eevee and Unown I would seriously just close out of the emulator and play something else.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 08:06 PM
mewtwo68

i say that fakemons r cool seeing how the creator put some time and thoght to them it just goves someone this creative feeling

mewtwo cant be deafted
Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:08 PM
lhabcuanime
LhabxJhieL

Nature: Naughty
I dont like fakemons too .. i like original .. but goodluck
Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:11 PM
Orifiel
Priestess

Nature: Lonely
No, definitely not.
I think even how good they look, I think they're crap.
I don't like it. So, no no no no. Original ones, stay stay stay.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:17 PM
hiddenviper

Nature: Careful
I think Fakemon can add and detract from the experience in the same way that the actual Pokemon can, and for me it mostly it depends on the look of the Pokemon. If the fakemon looks thrown together and utterly just bad then it will make the game look and feel worse and i will end up giving up on it. However, if the fakemon looks like it could be a actual Pokemon then i feel it adds a lot to the game, due to what people have said you will want to catch it and see what it can do or work out how to beat it.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here