• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

17-Year Locusts Returning

Magykx

It's too cold for you here.
Years
They're baaaack!
_bug__revision_by_Mrichston.gif

After 17 years, Brood II cicadas will descend on the D.C. area this year between April and June. According to magicicada.org, a project sponsored by the National Geographic Society, Brood II cicadas will begin to emerge when the soil temperature reaches 64 degrees.
- Huffington Post

Along with the D.C. area, CT, MD, NC, NJ, NY, PA, and VA will also be inhabited by these retched creatures according to the chart on Magicicada.
Also, check out this map for suspected most populated areas.

Ahhh, just another reason to stay inside all day...

bugs_everywhere_by_zakarranda-d2xqqix.gif

Last edited:

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
Oh Lord, those things looks creepy. Luckily I live in Florida. Lol.

We get a ton of mosquitoes here during the summer, though.

Honest

Hi!
Years
I feel like this is a little bit more newsworthy (17 years!) so I'm going to shove this into Live's face (Discussion and Debates). Hope he doesn't mind. :3

-moved.

Magykx

Years

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
Years
Crazily, cicadas live most of their life as larvae. They won't swarm like real locust that swarm and ravage plant life, but they can damage tree crops while laying their eggs.
And for those who like to study antropods, this could be the time to study them real time hehe. Just make sure youdon't put one beside your ear or you'll go deaf.

Magykx

Years
Crazily, cicadas live most of their life as larvae. They won't swarm like real locust that swarm and ravage plant life, but they can damage tree crops while laying their eggs.
And for those who like to study antropods, this could be the time to study them real time hehe. Just make sure youdon't put one beside your ear or you'll go deaf.

Hm! I didn't know that they live most of their lives as larvae. That's pretty cool, and a relief that they wont swarm crazy.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
Everyone loves cicadas! Chirp chirp chirp. They're pretty cute compared to other insects, lol.
Spoiler:

I'd really hate to see what you consider ugly...

But yeah, Texas seems pretty far from those sites so yay for me ;;
I hate insects.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
At least they aren't fish flies, which are every single year...

The fish fly infestation is so bad that once their season is over, people have to sweep them into piles like raking leaves in the fall, and they cover the ground and you can hear them popping when you walk... u__u they're so much worse than cicadas lol

Swarm vid ;~;

But I remember when it was a cicada year in Cincinnati about 12 years ago, maybe they're due for that in another 5 years. I actually like how cicadas sound, too.

@KingCharizard: They hang out underground for about 17 years until they mature.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I remember David Attenborough did something on these... they remind me of Pyrrharctia isabella.
Why are they called Brood II? Are there other populations that grow over different 17-year periods?

Spoiler:

I'd really hate to see what you consider ugly...
Huh, they are cute... not like a bumblebee, but they look better than something like termites.

they better not mess with my plants this summer
What, like vegetables? Building a cage of fine netting around them should be sufficient, assuming adult cicadas even eat anything, let alone whatever you have. It'll keep cats, foxes, birds, et al. out too.

Last edited:
Years
It seems strange that there are only a limited number of broods of cicadas on the east coast and that you won't see any of them some years. I would have thought there would be one or more groups of them that come out every summer like in Japan and other places.

Back