• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Prototype

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
This is awesome and everyone needs to look at it! I wish someone could make a banner for this so I can put it in my signature.
Haha, look at the first post buddy! :P
And I would be honored if you added it to you sig! (:

I should say, I did replace the old banner with a new one I made in Gimp 2.8 a few days ago. The old one was quite lame. This one is much better, but it still has room for improvement.

Here's the code for it:
HTML:
[URL=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=280847][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/euRwsa6.png[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

socko

[i]VERY ANGER!!![/i]
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 18, 2020
People have no idea how brilliant this hack is. This is easily the best Red hack I have ever seen! Your Wall-to-Wall advertising paid off, I am following this hack! I looove your recolors :D

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Thank you! That means alot to hear you say that! I try my best :)
And yeah, there were those who frowned upon it, but I think the wall-to-wall advertising was for the better. Being a gen I hack, it just didn't get enough attention on its own.
Thanks again!

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Not bad, this seems interesting. I'm curious though, does this still take place in Kanto? If so, why would any maps be changed?

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
There are a few reasons why I've decided to do it this way.
I don't want to change the name of the region or any of the towns because I still want it to take place in the real Pokemon universe. This is because I don't want my game to seem so foreign to people to the point that you can't really feel at home with the game anymore.
But I don't want to keep the layout of the map identical because I don't want it to be the same old same old game that we've all played a thousand times. I think redesigning the maps with my own creativity and fresh ideas is one of the best ways to make playing a game exciting and interesting - but I still want it to be Kanto.
Also, redoing the maps isn't necessarily enough. I'm also rewriting the connection data - which means what maps connect to what maps and how - so that the player still feels like they're embarking on a brand new journey.

Also, I completely redid the screenshot section. You should check out what's new in the first post!

Last edited:

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
But I don't want to keep the layout of the map identical because I don't want it to be the same old same old game that we've all played a thousand times. I think redesigning the maps with my own creativity and fresh ideas is one of the best ways to make playing a game exciting and interesting - but I still want it to be Kanto.
Personally, I think the name of the region should be changed as the map doesn't look like Kanto at all (although you can probably guess what most maps there are based on, due to not heavily "re-scripting" everything).

Other than that, have you thought about adding in new events and creating scripts for them? It shouldn't be that difficult to add in simple "give pokemon" events, new trainer battles and such. After all, Sawakita made those small demonstrations on how to do things some could call scripting. In GS, there is plenty of unused ram space for new stuff to be added in without replacing anything already implemented, ought to be in RB as well.

Also one other thing cool to have would be Running Shoes disabling bike there. You could probably use a similar routine to that of what KBM introduced for Gold and Silver. Debug where you can add it and insert new stuff there.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Personally, I think the name of the region should be changed as the map doesn't look like Kanto at all (although you can probably guess what most maps there are based on, due to not heavily "re-scripting" everything).
Yeah, I've thought about this alot. I don't want to rename the region and towns because I don't want the players to be unable to connect with the world. I want them to walk into a new town and say "Ahhh, Celadon (:" Otherwise it will be a game with a bunch of ambiguous names to which the player doesn't have any attachments.

That was my biggest problem with Brown. It is an excellent game. But I don't feel like I have any attachments to the individual towns. It is only my opinion though, and perhaps I'm the odd ball that thinks this way, but it's how I feel.
Other than that, have you thought about adding in new events and creating scripts for them? It shouldn't be that difficult to add in simple "give pokemon" events, new trainer battles and such. After all, Sawakita made those small demonstrations on how to do things some could call scripting. In GS, there is plenty of unused ram space for new stuff to be added in without replacing anything already implemented, ought to be in RB as well.

Also one other thing cool to have would be Running Shoes disabling bike there. You could probably use a similar routine to that of what KBM introduced for Gold and Silver. Debug where you can add it and insert new stuff there.
Yeah, I definitley plan to write brand new scripts to make it that much more exciting rather than only manipulating existing scripts.

Al3x

Pokémon Fan
Years
At first I thought the names should of been changed too, but I like danny's point in keeping the names because I have attachment to those names.

Al3x

Pokémon Fan
Years
Good, I'm glad you agree. :)
I hope it will be like when I played Pokemon Gold for the first time and went over to Kanto and noticed all the changes compared to Red,Blue, and Yellow and how awesome it looked and such.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Good! Life's busy, but I get to steadily work on this, usually on the weekends.
I'm probably not gonna have any big updates for a while until I get a good amount of mapping and scripting done, which is what I'm working on now. For now, you can check out my Pokémon Red - Gen. II Graphics Patch which is what this hack is based around, so it's kind of like the first playable demo for this hack! :)

Southueki

Writer
Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2014
Good! Life's busy, but I get to steadily work on this, usually on the weekends.
I'm probably not gonna have any big updates for a while until I get a good amount of mapping and scripting done, which is what I'm working on now. For now, you can check out my Pokémon Red - Gen. II Graphics Patch which is what this hack is based around, so it's kind of like the first playable demo for this hack! :)

I want to play this game really bad.

I've always been fond of the Mew and Mewtwo's story :)

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Thanks!
What really pulled me in to Pokemon was the first movie, Mewtwo Strikes Back, so I wanted to make a hack that heavily revolves around Mewtwo. :)

Southueki

Writer
Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2014
Thanks!
What really pulled me in to Pokemon was the first movie, Mewtwo Strikes Back, so I wanted to make a hack that heavily revolves around Mewtwo. :)

I'm glad you did, cause I really hoped someone would!

I think the story has alot of "juice", the whole Mew discovery, Mewtwo creation, etc

Gamefreak should have invested more on it :D

Al3x

Pokémon Fan
Years
How have things been going lately? It's looking as awesome as ever.

Thanks!
I loved that movie as a kid and I still love it.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Progress is slow. Second semester of senior year doesn't allow much time for hacking. But it's coming!
Thanks for being patient! :D

Years
  • Seen Jul 13, 2015
this is reallly cool. i love the idea SO MUCH but i hate the old pokemon games that are black and white lol. its a shame. i May still try it but probably not. :(

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
I don't mind waiting. There's tons of stuff to do on the internet.
Oh my gosh! I'm severely dyslexic and the first time I read that, I thought you said "I'm done waiting. There's tons of other stuff to do on the internet." D:
That freaked my out. :P
But anyway, I should have more time to work on this this weekend. I've been kind of neglecting it lately.
this is reallly cool. i love the idea SO MUCH but i hate the old pokemon games that are black and white lol. its a shame. i May still try it but probably not. :(
Hey, this isn't in black and white! Just look at the screenshots! :D
If Red and Blue look black and white to you in your emulator, you just need to change the emulator to SGB mode or find another emulator, such as BGB, that supports SGB mode and it will play in color! :)
And thanks for the compliments! :D
And if you want to check out some of the features I've already implemented for yourself, try playing the first "demo" for this hack!
You can download it in its thread, here.

Last edited:
Back