• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Red/Blue - Gen. II Graphics And Music Patch V2.0 [FINAL VERSION RELEASED]

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Hey danny you dont mind if i put the graphics for my pokemon red graphics?
What exactly are you asking?

Could you give me the Assembly files of the custom Battle Themes?
I did not import the songs into this hack. That was done by FroggestSpirit and I honestly have no understanding of how he did it so I'm afraid I can't be much help. I'll get back to you if I find out how to be more useful.

Years
  • Seen Apr 18, 2013
Hi, I just loved what you did *-* I dug up an older cellphone just to play your hack, like DCson 17 I just had a problem to replay gen I with that graphics LOL!

The only downside is that on meboy its just plays black and white D:

Are you planning to do the same for Yellow version? I would love it, so I could play Gen I on meboy with colors *-* LOL, but Im just asking =) again thanks for this awesome hack!

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Hi, I just loved what you did *-* I dug up an older cellphone just to play your hack, like DCson 17 I just had a problem to replay gen I with that graphics LOL!

The only downside is that on meboy its just plays black and white D:

Are you planning to do the same for Yellow version? I would love it, so I could play Gen I on meboy with colors *-* LOL, but Im just asking =) again thanks for this awesome hack!
Thank you for your support! Unfortuately, I do not plan on repeating this process for Yellow at this time.

Does all 151 pokemon have their gsc counterpart sprites inserted into this base rom?
Absolutely :)

Wow it is a great patch! No more sucking graphics while doing a Gen 1 challenge.
Thanks a lot!!

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Hey guys, I finally finished up version 1.2!! In this update, the palette table has been repointed to an empty bank and expanded so that every single Pokemon and trainer sprite get their own palette! Now no more sprites are sharing palettes that were tweaked to help accommodate! All palette information is 100% accurate for trainers and for Pokemon!

I also replaced Poketto's Cueball recolor with my Firered/Leafgreen Cueball devamp.

The last update is really important for anyone playing this on Meboy or any other emulator that only plays the game in monochrome! I fixed 20+ Pokemon's sprite and palette data so that the two shades of grey are switched and now the sprite for these Pokemon display correctly in black and white, while the sprites still look exactly the same while played in SGB mode!

Let me know what you think!

Hacker Bisharp

Bug reporter
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 28, 2019
If I patch your awesome hack to my red rom (italian) the patch will still work?

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Hm. That's a good question. Probably? You can always try, and if it breaks stuff, then it doesn't work and you might just have to play it on an english rom if you want to play it at all. But I don't immediately see why it wouldn't work on an italian rom.

LazerBoyEXE

{The Amazing Dimensional Flux}
Years
I gotta say, this actually works on Pokemon Blue with NO glitches, too! Has anyone tried that yet? Because I have... All you need to do is change the color of the "BLUE VERSION" in the titlescreen and change it from red to blue.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Yes, someone tried it and discussed it on page 2 of this thread. I'm glad no one's finding any other real problems with patching this on blue. :)

HackChu

I need a haircut...
Years
I gotta say, this actually works on Pokemon Blue with NO glitches, too! Has anyone tried that yet? Because I have... All you need to do is change the color of the "BLUE VERSION" in the titlescreen and change it from red to blue.

That's easily doable. Maybe I could do it if Danny is okay with it. It's a simple edit.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
I would imagine that's the case.
I'm not interested in hosting a link to a "Blue" version ips also. If people really want to play this on Blue, they can figure out how to fix the title screen palette themselves.

Benjamin85

Banned
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2013
looks great.Now it has much better graphics.I hope story line will also be perfect.Is this patch complete?

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Yes, it is complete. And what do you mean about story line? The story in this graphics patch is the same as Red. If you're looking for a hack with a new story, check out my main hack in my signature, Pokémon Prototype.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Recently, I spent several days recreating the Graphics Patch V1.2 using the pokered disassembly.
If anyone is serious about using this as a base rom for a hack, I highly recommend using this disassembly for creating their hack.
It can be located here: Pokémon Red - Gen. II Graphics Repository

Last edited:

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Here is a pretty important update! I fully implemented the Pokéball tile that is displayed by the enemy health bar in wild battles with Pokémon you've already caught!
Here it is!

5seonCD.png

Also, you may notice that the enemy health bar is now identical to gsc. Before, there was a slight difference because there is originally a tile that is used in both the player and enemy battle hud. Now I edited how tiles are loaded to the battle hud to make the enemy hud load a separate tile so that it can be edited independently from the player hud.
I also changed how the enemy's level is loaded so that it is also loaded in the same place as in gsc.
Least importantly, I removed the player name centering feature that makes player Pokémon with four or less letters in its name placed further to the right. This feature is not in gsc.
This was made possible by the power of the disassembly and the wisdom of those in the skeetendo irc.

Last edited:
Years
That is awesome :D

You think you be able to make it so the EXP bar would actually fill up when you gain EXP? I mean seems kinda of pointless the see it there and not see the EXP Bar raise.

Back