• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen 7 Years Later, What You Liked the Most

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
On September 12, 2009, HGSS were released for the first time in Japan. The games brought back everything we loved from the gen 2 originals, and added a lot of new things, too. We've had a lot of time with them by now, so can you name your favorite thing about these games? Was it something new like the Pokéathlon, Pokéwalker, or new Safari Zone? Was it the return of something you liked from the original such as Eusine and Suicune, or the implementation of older features such as Sinnoh's Battle Frontier? Was it perhaps something that wasn't in the game at all, but an experience you had, such as playing through the introduction together with your friends? Was it maybe even a combination of things? I'd like to hear what you think about these outstanding games on their 7-year anniversary!

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
And platinum turns 8 tommorow :D
SS, being my first game is very special to me, and there's very few things wrong with it.
I liked walking pokemon, the pokeathlon, battle frontier, 2 regions, pokegear, red gyarados, the starters, EVERYTHING WAS JUST AWESOME!!!

Years
I still hold out hope that walking pokemon will be in a future game, that was one of my fav features. the pokeathlon was one of the better minigames as well. the safari zone being able to design your own layout was cool but the arranging block then having to wait like 70 days for some pokemon wasn't so fun...

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 14, 2016
I liked the Pokeathlon and the Pokewalker, hopefully both of them show up again in future Pokemon games.

Years
HGSS are two of the best Pokemon games ever imo, I've played through them countless times and enjoyed the experience again and again. My favourite things in HGSS (there's a lot but I've narrowed it down to two) are the art style and of course, Pokemon following you. The art in these games is simply beautiful and it really brought the vibrant Johto region to life, Pokemon following you was a feature that pretty much everyone loved and something that everyone wants to return. Even though we have seen a lot of Kanto, I though it was pretty fun to explore in these games and it added to the great experience.

dudealmighty

The Very Best
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 6, 2016
These are my favorite Pokemon games of all time. I still restart them at least once a year. Crystal was my first main story Pokemon game, so you can probably guess why. I think everything about HG/SS is perfect, from the art, to the music, to the cool little features like walking with your Pokemon, to how packed it is with content. It's the only 10/10 Pokemon game, and I judge Pokemon games pretty harshly. Can't believe it's been 7 years.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 26, 2023
The Pokemon following you around was the absolute cutest and I wish so badly they would bring it back. :c ♡

Years
I loved having a Pokemon walk with you. One of my biggest wishes is for this to happen in a 3D Pokemon game. I would so love to see a Pokemon walking with you in 3D. I also wish we would have another 2 region game, like in HGSS. It made the postgame the best of any Pokemon game, and this must be brought back. I absolutely adored HGSS, HG was the second Pokemon game I ever played and it is my favorite to this day!

Imafroggy

King
Years
It's hard to believe it's been 7 years.
Heartgold/Soulsilver always stuck with me for some reason.

Following pokemon was a great idea and I really miss it!

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
Ooooh man what can I say about HeartGold and SoulSilver? They're the best remakes we have so far, I guess I can start with that. "Playing the intro together with your friends?" Yup, my friends slept over at my place the night before and we all went bright and early to get our games and then play through the opening sequence together. From there it was a race to see who could get their Chikorita to be a girl the fastest! But was that my favorite memory? Or was it going out to walk with my PokéWalker and my cat at the time would follow me around as I did so? Hmm, maybe it was just reliving the memories I made back in Crystal, my first-ever video game? Or the fact that they added great new features and tossed in some of my favorite aspects of Platinum, too? I don't know! I can't pick just one thing because everything about these games are fantastic, from the games themselves to the real-life memories I've made because of them!

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
I'm not sure. I just really liked them. I liked the new graphics and how you could still walk around with your Pokemon and whatnot. I liked how they kept a lot of things the same but also added new things to make it fresh.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 18, 2017
I'd have to say the Pokeathlon, which I think was contests done right. You could raise your stats with various apricorns, and making aprijuice wasn't a huge pain like the Poffins were. The events were skill-based, rather than the horrible judge systems in Platinum's contests. And on top of that, the rewards were actually worth it.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
The pokémon buddy following you around <3 It was like Yellow but better, since you weren't stuck with Pikachu.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
Years
The best feature has to be the following Pokémon really doesn't it? It was so awesome seeing some of our partners following along beside us like we were Ash in the anime, it was awesome! I love that a bunch of fan-made games have implemented the feature too, it helps me feel like I'm bonding more with the Pokémon when I see them in the overworld, aha.

The Oranguru Way

ukulelel
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 20, 2016
Out of all the fancy mechanics they could have implemented, it's one of the simplest ones that stole players' hearts, it seems. Pokemon following you around was the best thing ever. I also loved the updated visuals, a high point being the leaves in the Ecruteak tower pathway. Another cool feature is that you could comfortably play through the whole game using only the touchscreen and the D-pad, and it wasn't gimmicky.

Rain

Years
Definitely has to be the Pokemon following feature! I recently started HG over and I keep thinking about what the Pokemon from more recent gens would look like following me around.

Back