• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
It's already max size because if you put it as the second tileset in the map header it doesnt make it bigger anyway

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
Could someone be my sensei and teach me all about coding in hack making? I've been wanting to make my own Pokemon hacks for years but I've never been able to make one. And the ones I do make are always full of glitches, that I can't seem to fix. I'd credit you in any hack I make. If you need paying I'd pay you to teach me.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
Could someone be my sensei and teach me all about coding in hack making? I've been wanting to make my own Pokemon hacks for years but I've never been able to make one. And the ones I do make are always full of glitches, that I can't seem to fix. I'd credit you in any hack I make. If you need paying I'd pay you to teach me.

Sure, I could teach you, I guess.

Just add me on Skype.

LaDestitute

Razor Sharp
Years
Okay, got past the issue of editing the intro sprites.

Two questions:
1. How would I change a Pokemon's hatch rate to instant and then back to normal? I want the starters in my hack to hatch from eggs, but not have it where their able to abuse the idea to get instant starters later on.

2. How would I make an item that either has an affect only on a certain Pokemon, or can be held only by said Pokemon and that the held item changes their battle/icon sprites? I have a hermit crab Pokemon that can swap out shells for stat boosts, while their defense stats are normally low without one.

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Two questions please!

Is there a way to change fire reds girl (red) and boy (blue) text colour when you talk to them?

Also are we limited to only the colours in Diegoisawesome script tutorial that he mentioned?

LaDestitute

Razor Sharp
Years
Not sure about number two, but I remember reading in R&D that text color is linked to overwrite sprites, so certain classes of trainers (including the player?) have certain text colors. Look into that, then?

Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2014
I need to insert a large number of fakedex in my hack and i want to use PokePic for this...i'm able to easily change the palette, so this is not a problem. The only problem is the size of the new fakemon: often my fakemon are bigger than the replacing one...PokePic ask me to expand the rom for this; doing so works fine, but when in PokePic i return to the image i don't see it anymore..is it only a pointer problem?

I've heard that expanding rom make the rom not available for ips patch...for me is not a great problem, today downloading a 16MB files is a snap :P But are there any other annoying problems related to this expansion? like script overriding or some else?

I'm going to enter the fakemon only at game complete and i'm planning a large number of backup, but is not conceivable that i need to test the entire game every 4/5 fakemon inserted.

Thanks a lot for help

LaDestitute

Razor Sharp
Years
Start with a fresh rom or your last backup, if you have to.

1. Download the Advanced Series Tools from here.
2. Open up the Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor program after unzipping the file.
3. Load your rom into the program.
4. In the dropdown box under "Species Name:", look for the Pokemon sprites you want to replace. You can also use their Gen III national pokedex number.
5. Go to "File>Export Image" at the top and save it. Edit your sprites into it using GIMP, Photoshop, Paint dot Net, etc. With the normal front sprite in the first 64x64 block, the shiny version in the second 64x64 block, the normal back sprite in the third 64x64 block, and the shiny back sprite in the fourth and final 64x64 block. Save the sprite.
6. Click the "Edit" button and click the "Import All" button.
7. Click the "Synchronise Palettes" button and then click the "OK" button.
8. Click the button that says "Find Free Space". See the offset that appears under "Write to Offset:"?
Copy that into the "Start Offset:" field and click "Set Write Offset".
For example: I got the offset 0x1F7F44. So, in the "Start Offset:" field, I typed in 0x1F7F44.

Click the button that says "OK", and exit the program. You're done. Hopefully, if you followed my instructions, your sprite came out fine.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
I need to insert a large number of fakedex in my hack and i want to use PokePic for this...i'm able to easily change the palette, so this is not a problem. The only problem is the size of the new fakemon: often my fakemon are bigger than the replacing one...PokePic ask me to expand the rom for this; doing so works fine, but when in PokePic i return to the image i don't see it anymore..is it only a pointer problem?

I've heard that expanding rom make the rom not available for ips patch...for me is not a great problem, today downloading a 16MB files is a snap :P But are there any other annoying problems related to this expansion? like script overriding or some else?

I'm going to enter the fakemon only at game complete and i'm planning a large number of backup, but is not conceivable that i need to test the entire game every 4/5 fakemon inserted.

Thanks a lot for help

Don't use pokepic, please. It is sooo buggy, and the method described above is so much safer and it is a lot faster since Wichu's sprite editors will index your images for you and it can import all 4 sprites at once.

Two questions please!

Is there a way to change fire reds girl (red) and boy (blue) text colour when you talk to them?

Also are we limited to only the colours in Diegoisawesome script tutorial that he mentioned?

1) This page ( http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=239025 ) describes how the colors are distributed to different over world sprites.

Now, to change these colors, it is actually pretty simple. All of the text colors are contained withen the same palette as the overworld text box. So, if you can find that, then you can edit it. If you can't find it (please actually give it a try, we have too many lazy people here) just post again and I will help you.

2) You are limited to the amount of colors, but by changing the colors in the tut, then you create your own set of text colors.

Okay, got past the issue of editing the intro sprites.

Two questions:
1. How would I change a Pokemon's hatch rate to instant and then back to normal? I want the starters in my hack to hatch from eggs, but not have it where their able to abuse the idea to get instant starters later on.

2. How would I make an item that either has an affect only on a certain Pokemon, or can be held only by said Pokemon and that the held item changes their battle/icon sprites? I have a hermit crab Pokemon that can swap out shells for stat boosts, while their defense stats are normally low without one.

1) There is a special (search through JPAN's study of the special and special2 commands) which will cause the egg in a specific slot to hatch.

2) That will require ASM and is basically form changes. These are quite difficult to use and the only person to be completely be successful in them is Jambo, but, as I have said before, he does not wish to share them at the present point in time.

If you really want to know why Jambo does not want to share this, it is because he has done a lot of work for the good of the rom hacking community, but a lot of people have disrespected him and all people want is more from him. This is also why his title is "thinking about quitting...". He just can't take some of the people anymore.

Last edited:

Akiba

Years

Thanks a lot for help

karatekid552 is right. Pokepic is extremely glitchy, and is practically obsolete. Wichu's sprite editor is better by far.

Also, most proprietary hacks nowadays use expansions. To answer your questions:

1. Expanding a ROM doesn't mess up a ROM as long as the FF bytes are appended at the end of the file, so no internal data is changed. This data can later be accessed with the regular pointers, except they use 09 instead of 08 as the ending byte. This can be seen in scripting, where new scripts past the old file boundary use 09xxxxxx instead of 08xxxxxx.

2. Yes, IPS is only able to patch two files of the same filesize. Either you can expand a clean ROM and create an IPS off of that, or just use UPS or APS, which contain larger filesizes, but are more comprehensive and filesize-dynamic.

Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2014
Thanks a lot, i was not aware about Wichu's sprite editor...i'll look at this so :)

So i've only change the pallette colors (so no size change) and when i click on write to rom i see a dialog with start offset set to 0x0 and write to offset too. So i think i need to find a free space for saving data...but is not a good way to do this...the best way is simply replace the old space when the data are not bigger, otherwise i use many and many free space putting hundreds of new fakemon

Last edited:

Akiba

Years
Thanks a lot, i was not aware about Wichu's sprite editor...i'll look at this so :)

So i've only change the pallette colors (so no size change) and when i click on write to rom i see a dialog with start offset set to 0x0 and write to offset too. So i think i need to find a free space for saving data...but is not a good way to do this...the best way is simply replace the old space when the data are not bigger, otherwise i use many and many free space putting hundreds of new fakemon

The original ROM has 386 Pokemon, which only take up a small amount of space within the ROM. The entire range of data used by the game doesn't even exceed half of its filesize. If you expand the ROM, then you'll almost never run out of space.

karatekid552

Years
The original ROM has 386 Pokemon, which only take up a small amount of space within the ROM. The entire range of data used by the game doesn't even exceed half of its filesize. If you expand the ROM, then you'll almost never run out of space.

Just to add to this, XSE 1.1.1 will expand your rom for you. There is a rom expander option in one of the top menu's. I have never used it, but it is there and I haven't seen any complaints about it.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Questions!

1) Is there a single tool that lets you patch all .ips/.ups/.aps for the Windows? I found one but it's only for Mac OS.

2) In FR, I want to make a POKéMON uncatchable so I set it's catch rate to 0 but every once in a while, and very rare occasions, I can still catch it with a POKé Ball itself. How do I deal with this?

karatekid552

Years
Questions!

1) Is there a single tool that lets you patch all .ips/.ups/.aps for the Windows? I found one but it's only for Mac OS.

2) In FR, I want to make a POKéMON uncatchable so I set it's catch rate to 0 but every once in a while, and very rare occasions, I can still catch it with a POKé Ball itself. How do I deal with this?

1) I don't know of one, but I just put all three patching tools in one folder and do them one at a time. It isn't really all that much of a hassle.

2) I'm pretty sure this is possible and I do believe that there is a thread around here dealing with this. Probably in R&D....

Edit: Read through this thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=250580

Gyrath

Pokemon Lurid Creator
Years
Hello, everyone! After searching for a tutorial that helped me with this I couldn't find one.
I wanted to insert some of WesleyFG's "MarnianRegion" tiles into my fire-red rom but keep the same colours his using. Out of all the many tutorials I've read and watched they all requested that you change the colour of the tile you want to insert to the colour the palette provides by default. Could I get an answer to help do this myself or can anyone do this for me.

Thanks!

Akiba

Years
Hello, everyone! After searching for a tutorial that helped me with this I couldn't find one.
I wanted to insert some of WesleyFG's "MarnianRegion" tiles into my fire-red rom but keep the same colours his using. Out of all the many tutorials I've read and watched they all requested that you change the colour of the tile you want to insert to the colour the palette provides by default. Could I get an answer to help do this myself or can anyone do this for me.

Thanks!

Ok..

To do this, you need to open the tiles in a paint program.
Use the color picker, and change the RGB of each corresponding pixel to the closest multiple of eight.

Then change the colors of the palette in AdvanceMap's Block Editor to match these colors.

Next, do Save Tileset. Place the new tiles on the Tileset in your paint program, and then save.
Back in the block editor, do Load Tileset.

Done!

Gyrath

Pokemon Lurid Creator
Years
Ok..

To do this, you need to open the tiles in a paint program.
Use the color picker, and change the RGB of each corresponding pixel to the closest multiple of eight.

Then change the colors of the palette in AdvanceMap's Block Editor to match these colors.

Next, do Save Tileset. Place the new tiles on the Tileset in your paint program, and then save.
Back in the block editor, do Load Tileset.

Done!

Thanks! So what would I do if one tile has more colours than of the tile you are changing? What would you have to do in the palette editor?

Akiba

Years
Thanks! So what would I do if one tile has more colours than of the tile you are changing? What would you have to do in the palette editor?

Unfortunately, the GBA processor can only support 16-color palettes. There are two sloppy ways and two organized ways to deal with this:

The sloppy ways:

1. Add another color, replacing a color used by some other tile in the tileset.

2. Merge two of the colors in the tile that you are using together.

The organized ways:

1. Rescratch the tile by yourself, using less colors.

2. Choose a different tile.

Eventually we'll be able make the GBA support 256 color palettes, but with that will come VBA changes (which I can take care of). That will be a long time from now, considering that we barely understand 40% of the data and routines in the game image, and we'll possibly have to rewrite VBA for that kind of support.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2015
i want to hav all pokemon from all generation in my hack bt i dont know how to do it....does anybody knows how to do it.....plz help me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back