• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you a Pokémon Purist?

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
Years
This might shock some people who know me, considering they would know how much of a nostalgia nut I am, but I am not a purist. I do thoroughly love the Gen I games and pokemon, but not so much that it makes me think any less of the other gens. All of them have their own charms; 1 for being the original and starting off the great Pokemon adventure, 2 for having Typhlosion having Kanto and Johto, and having a fun-to-explore time skip, 3 for rehauling the internal mechanics and adding a whole bunch of new features, 4 for wi-fi and battle frontier, 5...I just started 5, so lemme get back to you on that. xD

But yeah, as you see, all the gens have their own things that make them fin, so I can't say I like Gen 1 more than any other for that reason. That said, purists have every right to be purists, so I just let them be.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 18, 2017
I wouldn't really call myself a purist. Pretty much all the generations had at least a few pokemon that I pretty much hate.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Definitely not lol. I actually don't like how the Gen I games take a while to be immersed in it. The beginning areas (from Pallet Town to Mt. Moon) is just so boring... the later games feel more exciting (except FR/LG).

I'd say my favorite Generation so far is III.

Archenoth

The arch foe
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2020
One shouldn't fault anything merely for the sake of nostalgia. Granted, it's a common bias, but if you want to compare something truly, compare them as though you have never seen either before.

I am the farthest thing from a Pokemon Purist. I can understand them, but I would hope that they try to look at the newer generations with as little bias as possible.

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
Years
I'm definitely not. xD;

Actually, Unova holds the record for favorite amount of Pokemon in a generation. In gen one, even though that was the original, and I was so enthralled with it before, there's only a handful or two of gen one Pokemon that I actually like. I found most of them weird, or unappealing in whatever ways. I enjoyed the story, and the anime more than the Pokemon themselves back then, and even the stories have been outdone by better games / anime seasons since then. So no, I'm not a purist.

And my opinion on them, is that I feel bad for them that they can't properly enjoy any of the newer games, since they can't shake them being just as fun, or better than the first gen games. Same goes for fans of the original anime, and etc. D: Maybe to them, gen one really is still the best, but I still feel bad that they're missing the joy of so many of the newer gens.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
to tell you the truth I am not all my favorite pokemon are Hoenn and shinoh pokemon.
I actully made a 'purist' a fan of pokemon white

Years
I'm not a Pokemon Purist, my fave generation happens to be the 5th Gen cos the Unova Region introduced some of my fave Pokemon.

My opinion on Pokemon Purists is because of their Kanto obsession, they have to get over it and discover the other regions. I found most Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova Pokemon to be more awesome than Kanto.

My first generation (game-wise) was 3rd Gen (Hoenn) so you can tell I'm not one of those who only love Kanto Pokemon.

Pokemon Purists - We only love Kanto Pokemon. We take down fans of Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova cos their Pokemon sucked. Original 151 FTW!

That's what I think of Pokemon Purists. It's a cute slogan I made up describing Kanto fans who hate other regions.

I love all the regions other than Kanto actually.

Here's my ranking of regions overall:

1st - Unova (I loved the Pokemon! So many cute ones!)
2nd - Sinnoh (Cool Pokemon, the only downside was D/P being so slow compared to Platinum)
3rd - Johto (Better nostalgia cos I played SoulSilver)
4th - Hoenn (My first region game-wise, the Pokemon did look odd at first but I got to liking them)
5th - Kanto (Their Pokemon don't look as cute as Pokemon from other regions)

Yes, you can basically say I'm a Unova Fangirl.

Last edited:
Years
I suppose I'm kind of classed as a Pokemon Purist. My favourite region is Johto with Kanto coming in second and Hoen third. I hated Sinnoh and Unovo even more so but I haven't been able to put my finger on it. It may be the way the art style has changed seeing as the art style has always played a big part in games for me.

EB

Re: World
Years
Broken Bells - The High Road

Personally, I am biased when it comes to which games I enjoy the most (G1 + 2), but I wouldn't call them the best games in the series just because of the nostalgia 'n' such attached to them. I think the thing that turned me away from G4 + 5 was the fact that you could just feel the fact that Nintendo had kept their audience focused mainly towards 5-12 year-olds, with no recognizable elements to suggest they know us older players even exist.

In the earlier games this wasn't so easily distinguishable, but now it seems that the level of "yeah, I get it..." has reached its breaking point--at least for me as a player. I mean, shouldn't we all know by now what is implied in playing a Pokémon game? There's just too much hand-holding in the later generations where it wasn't really necessary, I guess. And personally, I grow weary of all of the cut scenes as well, but that's probably something of an personal problem.

Also, G4 went overkill with the experimenting. It's as if they threw together all of these extra ideas into the game to see the reception without actually doing their job: studying what the best ways would be to get people to purchase enjoy their game prior to game development.

G1 + 2 did a good job of respecting the player's intelligence without actually removing boundaries in any way. And in comparing to the designs of the newer Pokémon to the old... well, let's just say that it's not hard to see the changes in the level of creativity, through certain examples in particular.

Last edited:

Yellow Silver Nostalgia

Those Were The Days
Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
I think I prefer the earlier games because they weren't too serious back then. It's what being young is all about - not taking life seriously and just having fun, and battling Pokemon against each other was a great way to do that. But then when they brought in storylines about cataclysmic events and introduced Pokemon that controlled the weather and time and space, it all got a bit too serious, and ruined the fun in my opinion.

I mean, just take a look through the Pokedex, and the Pokemon get more and more depressed with each generation, especially in the latest two where hardly any of them are smiling. I prefer to think that Pokemon are having fun battling against each other than to think they're slaves used for people's entertainment.

Years
New Pokemon are cool, in a different kind of way. The Pokemon in older generations had that sort of "Pokemony" feel to them that the ones today are missing. Now, they are more like these strange looking deity types, like the space goat creator, Arceus. I personaly like the newer generations just like the older ones, but I can see why others might think otherwise,

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
Years
LOL. I'm not even close to Gen 1 purist. Since, Gen 2 is my favourite. I do think Gen 1 is pretty good in some aspects, but in other aspects such as limited bag space, turn me off.

Autobot Silverwynde

Automaton Protector
Years
Definitely not. I've played the first Gen and I enjoy it, but I can't claim that it's the be-all/end-all of Pokemon.

As to how I feel about purists, I don't really care, as long as they don't try and tell me that Gen V sucks. The moment someone starts up with that, I tune them out. It took five Gens before I got two real, honest to goodness favorites so no, the original aren't the greatest ever.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
Years
Well sweeties, I'm definitely not a Pokémon purist. I enjoyed the first gen games to death, but in my opinion second generation was the best, Pokémon wise and gameplay wise. It expanded on what we already had with first gen such as giving us new evolutions and pre-evolutions. Gameplay wise the night and day mechanic was just breathtaking when I was younger. The introduction of shiny Pokémon was nice. Pokérus made me concern on raising my Pokémon even more stat wise. Also the fact Johto is connected to Kanto made things even better. Plus gen 2 debut my favorite gym leader of all time! ^^

Even after gen 2, the battle system got more refined and the Pokémon end up looking more interesting.

As for purist, they are entitled to their opinion.

Joshawott

Banned
Years
Absolutely not. I guess I can't really blame Pokémon purists, though, because people find many things from the 80s and 90s hard to let go of (i.e. 8-bit music).

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Whenever I go back and try to play gen 1, either the originals or the remakes, I find it very difficult. :( I just... don't really like them much anymore, haha. So I'm definitely not a purist. (I feel sooort of the same way about gen 2 but I could probably replay HGSS again if only to have a Cherrim following me once more.)

Purists usually annoy me because the worst ones are the ones who won't even try the newer games. No. You don't get such a vocal opinion if you won't even give something a try. You can't form a proper opinion without the experience. >:( Go away. (I am absolutely fine with the ones who do play the later games and still just don't like them, though.)

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
Years
I don't have a DS, so I can't really play any of the newer games, but I do enjoy replaying Blue (or sometimes Leaf Green) the most, and I do believe it is still the best game. So yeah, I guess I am a "Pokemon Purist". I'm not ashamed of it though. It was a big part of my childhood...more than any other game that came after it. I think if anything it has more of a sentimental value to me.

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
Years
Well, I think under the definition given, I am a light pokémon purist. I do certainly believe that the designs of the first generation were among the best, and have thusfar not been topped by some of the other generations as a whole, but this is not to say I despise other generations. I like many pokémon, and have favourites from second, third, fourth as well as fifth generation just as well as I have some from the first generation, and I most certainly enjoy playing the games no matter what generation. Sure, my preference will go out to the first generation for nostalgic reasons; it's been an important part of my childhood and I'd be stupid to deny so, but I do not despise the other generations or even completely deny their existence like some more hardcore purists do.

User19sq

I ain't a purist. If anything, ever Generation has at least one Pokemon that's well suited to beat up all of the others'. I might be wrong, but that's what my team leads me to believe. And with many different and strategic combinations possible, combining Pokemon from different Generations isn't a bad thing, so staying with only one Generation can cause a bit of a backlash for those who're into competitive battling.

Back