• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jun 16, 2011
Hi,I'm new and I want to translate Pokemon Fire Red into my mother tongue language.But i haven't got any idea on how to use a hex editor.Can you help me?Please don't tell it detailed.Because I can't understand that way.Can you just show the ways with images please?Thanks by now.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Where are those located in the tile set?

Unfortunately, I can't post pictures yet. I don't have enough posts.

I replaced the section of black blocks in the middle of the tile set. In between the beachy/sea tiles.
... I actually meant... Wait, did you insert fresh new tiles into the ROM? If you replaced some of those blank tiles where you said, it shouldn't do anything. My main concern is now what did you do (if you did) to the Tileset that you can open and changed in Paint.

Years
adding over world without replacing

Okay I'm well aware there are several tutorials on how to insert overworlds but to be honest its just not processing in my brain as well as i'd like to...I've continuously ran into problem after problem and its a real pain. I'm asking if theres anyone out there who can help me with inserting OW sprites. Right now I'm using NSE with fire red because i have more pallets that way. My major problem is all this hexing stuff which is a major hack block. So if anyone is willing to help me out one-on-one on increasing the max overworld number i'd be greatful

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Hi,I'm new and I want to translate Pokemon Fire Red into my mother tongue language.But i haven't got any idea on how to use a hex editor.Can you help me?Please don't tell it detailed.Because I can't understand that way.Can you just show the ways with images please?Thanks by now.
You should look around the Tutorials sub-forum to find some guides on hex editing; it may or may not be there, though (depending on what kind of hex editor you're using).

Washibon

---
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2011
... I actually meant... Wait, did you insert fresh new tiles into the ROM? If you replaced some of those blank tiles where you said, it shouldn't do anything. My main concern is now what did you do (if you did) to the Tileset that you can open and changed in Paint.

Ah, well I used the second palette I think..
The palette, when I opened it- It had the tiles at the top, and then it had a large amount of black space under. I inserted the tiles into that black space. Was I not supposed to do that? ;o;

Corroded Arceus

Pokemon Staurolite Creator
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 8, 2011
I cannot seem to change Oak's Dialogue from being about Bulbasaur to being about Eevee in my FireRed hack, Pokemon Staurolite. When I click on the "BULBASAUR" tab in Advanced Text, it comes up with "A:A:A" When I changed this to be about Eevee, it glitched the game up majorly, as in the Eevee I hacked to be on the Title screen instead of the Charizard was a gitched mess of pixels. I downloaded a fresh ROM, thinking it was the problem, but this ROM just had a blank space under the Bulbasaur tab, and when I typed the text I wanted into this space and tested it in the game, it just said the usual text about Bulbasaur. I have tried multiple ROMs and the problem won't fix. Help!

Years
I don't think you need a Hex Editor for it anyway. Just use Advance Text or a scripting program like XSE or PokeScript or any other scripting program available.

Years
  • Seen Jun 16, 2011
Thanks for your interest Regeneration and Destiny Demon.Then if I could use Advance Text,can you tell me how to use it to change every text in pokemon fire red?

Washibon

---
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2011
I cannot seem to change Oak's Dialogue from being about Bulbasaur to being about Eevee in my FireRed hack, Pokemon Staurolite. When I click on the "BULBASAUR" tab in Advanced Text, it comes up with "A:A:A" When I changed this to be about Eevee, it glitched the game up majorly, as in the Eevee I hacked to be on the Title screen instead of the Charizard was a gitched mess of pixels. I downloaded a fresh ROM, thinking it was the problem, but this ROM just had a blank space under the Bulbasaur tab, and when I typed the text I wanted into this space and tested it in the game, it just said the usual text about Bulbasaur. I have tried multiple ROMs and the problem won't fix. Help!

Rather than changing the names in Advance Text, you can download Advance Starter and easily change Bulbasaur to Eevee.

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years
Try using a hex editor, like translhextion, and a table file instead.

Years
Thanks for your interest Regeneration and Destiny Demon.Then if I could use Advance Text,can you tell me how to use it to change every text in pokemon fire red?
It would be really difficult to change every bit of text in Advance Text alone, so you should use a scripting program and Advance Text both.
Use Advance Map and then go to Settings> Choose Script Editor> Then choose your program. Now you can open any script right in A-Map and then edit the dialogues, etc.
For stuff which cannot be accessed in A-Map, you should use A-Text and search for the string of text you want to change.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Ah, well I used the second palette I think..
The palette, when I opened it- It had the tiles at the top, and then it had a large amount of black space under. I inserted the tiles into that black space. Was I not supposed to do that? ;o;

Well, depends. This huge space is within the 2nd tileset (pallette is different, as in, pallette are the colours) and that tileset is specific to some areas. If you add tiles there that you mean to use everywhere, it doesn't work. You need to add it to the major tileset.

Years
  • Seen Jun 16, 2011
Ok Thank u.But one more question.How cani create characters like:ç ş ı ğ ö ü in the text?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Can someone help me ican't script because if i try
nothing happens or the freezes HELP
-------------------
I'm to lazy to make a signiture

We need more information about what is going wrong than that. Can you tell us anything specific that you are doing? In addition, is it the scripting tool or the game itself that crashes?

Ok Thank u.But one more question.How cani create characters like:ç ş ı ğ ö ü in the text?

Here's a quote from diegoisawesome's scripting tutorial:

diegoisawesome said:
\h is used with hex values. Here's an example:

Here's \hB7100!

That \hB7 is the currency sign of the Pokemon world.
So in this example, I'm going to use "$":

Here's $100!

Here's a table of all the hex codes for each symbol:

Spoiler:

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
You shouldn't use Advance Text. It could mess up your ROM. If you don't have any luck with a hex editor, then you should use a script editor program (I suggest XSE) to decompile scripts and edit them that way.

In scripting, there is a list of some characters you can use by using the \h command:
Spoiler:
Found it from diegoisawesome's XSE Tutorial.

timson733333

Woah.
Years
I'm having trouble inserting trainer sprites into my rom using unlz.GBA.

I've indexed the sprite and followed all the instructions, but when I insert it, it shows a demented version of the intended picture. Even if I try to put the original image back in, it still shows my edited image with a garbled palette.

bugcatcher-1.png

I'm not sure I'm following the instructions right. Could somebody index the sprite shown above so that it can be inserted without any crud happening?

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2016
Then...edit the palette? Unlz's palette editor is not good, I'm also not sure if the palette Unlz gives is correct, but palettes are very easy to find with VBA and a hex editor.

Years
  • Seen Jun 16, 2011
Thank u guys.That helped me so much.But i cant use that script editor.There are no texts like in Advance Text and I cant find 'em.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back